follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 06-14-2013, 12:10 AM   #29
shirker

Drives: '13 Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfranc0592 View Post
I got the window warranty and my windshield cracked while i was in phoenix, crack is too large for insurance to cover so I called the dealership they said it was too big as well and it goes across a little less than half the windshield so warranty is basically pointless.
Thank god I didn't get the window warranty, that's a joke that they wont cover it if it's too big..
shirker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:00 AM   #30
RAWR BRZ

Drives: 2010 BMW M3, 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdfreak View Post
These windscreens are most definitely weak. I didn't even notice the pebble that hit me this weekend on the highway. Just noticed the line developing from the edge inward.

Only 3000 miles on the car and it needs surgery
I went 83k on the OE windscreen on my ms6.

So safelite is the way to go?
Yes very weak... A friend's cracked and mine "knock on wood" is still good but has tons of rick chips on it now...
RAWR BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:12 AM   #31
Khazzy

Drives: SWP Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Subaru is known to have some weak glass. It is typical buying them and with a car that sits as low as the BRZ/FRS, expect to pay out for it. The windshield is thinner than other cars. My Integra took a nasty rock one day, nothing happened to the windshield other than a pit. My BRZ took a rock just after 1500 miles and it cracked it. Granted it was not a huge crack, just a small circle taken out of the windshield.
Khazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #32
Enilder

Drives: Porsche
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I got the window warranty and my windshield cracked while i was in phoenix, crack is too large for insurance to cover so I called the dealership they said it was too big as well and it goes across a little less than half the windshield so warranty is basically pointless.
I thought the whole point is to get it replaced under warranty when it needs to be replaced. What a joke.
Enilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:33 PM   #33
g0lden

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Argento
If you can afford it out of pocket , go that route. Even though it is considered an incidental and your rates don't go up, it is still counted on the insurance.
I was robbed at gun point and my 2011 Mazda 3 was stolen (1st incident). I had a windshield crack repaired at side of road and this was considered my 2nd incident even though i paid no deductible and it cost State Farm $50. I was told if I get to many reports within a short period of time I may receive a nasty letter informing me, and they could possibly drop me. All this with a super clean history with State Farm. They also told me that all these claims no matter how small they are add up, and ultimately increase ALL of OUR rates.

I'm saying, even if the windshield was $1000, I'd think about paying it out of pocket if I can afford it.
g0lden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:02 PM   #34
uEih

Drives: CBS Subaru BRZ Limited
Quote:
Don't they replace it? So it wouldn't matter if it's big or small? What protection plan did you get?
uEih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:31 PM   #35
Stierzy34
:unamused:

Drives: 2005 WRB STi "Edna"
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by uEih View Post
Don't they replace it? So it wouldn't matter if it's big or small? What protection plan did you get?
I'm wondering this as well. I was offered a warranty for the windshield and PDR for 5 years. There are stipulations on the PDR on only vertical panels but I wonder about windshield replacement.....

Hmmm
Stierzy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:04 PM   #36
uEih

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stierzy34 View Post
I'm wondering this as well. I was offered a warranty for the windshield and PDR for 5 years. There are stipulations on the PDR on only vertical panels but I wonder about windshield replacement.....

Hmmm
Yep me too here, the person told me as long as it needs to be replaced there are no questions asked. PDR are on doors and I think the side panels too, not exactly sure with that. But at least the way they worded it, as long as you get a crack it'll be replaced, key replacement and 24 hour roadside assistance. I got it so I really hope there isn't anything hidden that we don't know about. I mean I don't see why they will try to false advertise and say it's only certain kinds of cracks or like someone said up there the crack is too big to be repaired, so it need to be replaced which the protection plan should cover.

The person that got the huge crack, I don't understand why they don't replace it if you got the windshield warranty. It clearly states "Windshield replacement" and not Windshield repair. So it shouldn't matter how big or small the crack is.

Anyways I got it and hopefully it'll cover my butt in the future, even if I only need to replace my windshield once it'll be worth it. I figured since this car is so low the chances of it happening is higher, as for door dings.. It's bound to happen as sometimes you can't park in an isolated area(Like parking garages). I think that's the main reason I got it, because of door dings, they're not that big of a deal but not worth the money to fix it when it's so small.

Last edited by uEih; 07-16-2013 at 10:40 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to uEih For This Useful Post:
Stierzy34 (07-16-2013)
Old 07-18-2013, 08:21 PM   #37
jfranc0592

Drives: Custom white FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by uEih View Post
That's what I thought and that's how it was explained to me that they would replace it no questions asked but I guess not, maybe it's just how the policy is here in TX, not sure. I got the highest protection plan they offered me excluding key replacement and towing because my insurance already covers that.
jfranc0592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:28 PM   #38
uEih

Quote:
That's what I thought and that's how it was explained to me that they would replace it no questions asked but I guess not, maybe it's just how the policy is here in TX, not sure. I got the highest protection plan they offered me excluding key replacement and towing because my insurance already covers that.
I don't know but maybe you should talk to the person who sold you that because the person that helped me, she told me a story about her having it for her car and she called in and they'll come to you to replace it.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:58 PM   #39
Joobacca

Drives: DMG BRZ 6MT LIMITED
I'm fairly certain Geico insurance comes with non-deductable glass replacement. Had to replace the windshield on my Passat a few years ago in NY and I don't think it cost me a dime. I believe states like Massachusetts require glass insurance.

No crack, but I definitely think a lil nick has developed on mine.
Joobacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:14 AM   #40
Stierzy34
:unamused:

Drives: 2005 WRB STi "Edna"
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I am also wondering if it is just the Subaru glass that is weak or if the actual design of the front windshield leads it to be weak. If the OEM cracks, it would be nice that a replacement that you get would last longer. Who knows though.
Stierzy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:47 AM   #41
Mossyjaw

Drives: Subaru BRZ
I seem to remember the finance guy telling me they just fix the windshield not replace it. I could be wrong or he could be wrong. The PDR was supposed to be credit card sized and under and that's all he said about it. I'm here now getting my oil changed and they failed to get the PDR guy here so ill have to see how that goes another day.
Mossyjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:35 AM   #42
jfranc0592

Drives: Custom white FR-S
Yeah I talked to the finance guy that set it up and he said it was repair not replace so I guess I just understood wrong..sucks but oh well haha
jfranc0592 is offline   Reply With Quote