follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Old 03-17-2013, 10:01 PM   #1
ST185RC

Drives: White Out FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Perrin Inlet tube and air filter review

Is anyone else tired of hearing how Perrin makes some of the best quality parts for our cars? No? Well, here's another that cements that:

All started when I decided that I hated the sound tube and wanted a better solution than to just cap it. I like to carefully choose what I put into my car by reading up on everything about a product before it goes in. After reading everything that was to be read on this particular tube and numbers proven with dyno charts, I was ready to buy this and the air filter.

Or so I thought... Turns out my failure to work Paypal hampered my abilities to throw money at Perrin. Mladen was very patient in dealing with my incompetent attempts to send money through Paypal. Through the unnecessarily painful steps I had to take, Mladen was very good-humored about the whole thing. Through PM, he took care of me and made things easy.

Finally when I did get my shit together, the product was sent to me out the door the same day that my payment finally went through. Two days later I received a package and I was good to go. The quality of service and the people at Perrin really make a huge difference. I can't say enough good things about them. I've always let my buddies with STis know how great they were when I first helped someone else install their exhaust on a WRX. I will continue to recommend their products.

The inlet tube is of high quality and if you squeeze it a bit, you can feel the reinforcement rings embedded into the silicon. You can immediately see that they did not cut corners on this thing. The air filter that arrived is also a very nice piece. You can smell the filter oil through the bag so it's pre-oiled and ready for install.

After a quick dab on the blue mechanics towel to get rid of some of the excess oil (as per instructions) the filter went into the airbox with a snug fit. I didn't bother with a test drive prior and after the install, and I just installed the inlet tube.

The effects can be felt immediately. After turning the key, there is an audible difference and the car idles with a deeper tone. I did notice that there is less hesitation to throttle blips and the car idles a bit smoother. At red lights, the idle doesn't dip anymore and the high pitched induction noise is gone, which was the whole point I wanted this. I did NOT reset the ECU as I felt this is completely overkill on just helping the intake manifold a bit breathe easier. I feel it's like changing out a dirty air filter which doesn't warrant having the ECU relearn everything from square one.

Engine bay is tidied up a bit, dip stick is more easily accessible without the sound tube around it, and it gets rid of about a pound of tubing and resonator. It's not much of a mod but I like the deeper growl. My butt dyno doesn't feel a difference but it does make driving more enjoyable with a quieter cabin.

The only thing that I can suggest to make the inlet tube even better is to put a small indentation into the end of the tube to match up with where the airbox aligns/stops the tube from going to far. Other than that, for what it does, I give the two products 5/5

The quality of service I received was top notch. It makes all the difference dealing with someone rather than a machine. 5/5

Perrin, keep doing what you're doing.
ST185RC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ST185RC For This Useful Post:
PERRIN_Mladen (03-18-2013)
Old 03-18-2013, 06:00 PM   #2
PERRIN_Mladen

Drives: '11 535i
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST185RC View Post
Is anyone else tired of hearing how Perrin makes some of the best quality parts for our cars? No? Well, here's another that cements that:

All started when I decided that I hated the sound tube and wanted a better solution than to just cap it. I like to carefully choose what I put into my car by reading up on everything about a product before it goes in. After reading everything that was to be read on this particular tube and numbers proven with dyno charts, I was ready to buy this and the air filter.

Or so I thought... Turns out my failure to work Paypal hampered my abilities to throw money at Perrin. Mladen was very patient in dealing with my incompetent attempts to send money through Paypal. Through the unnecessarily painful steps I had to take, Mladen was very good-humored about the whole thing. Through PM, he took care of me and made things easy.

Finally when I did get my shit together, the product was sent to me out the door the same day that my payment finally went through. Two days later I received a package and I was good to go. The quality of service and the people at Perrin really make a huge difference. I can't say enough good things about them. I've always let my buddies with STis know how great they were when I first helped someone else install their exhaust on a WRX. I will continue to recommend their products.

The inlet tube is of high quality and if you squeeze it a bit, you can feel the reinforcement rings embedded into the silicon. You can immediately see that they did not cut corners on this thing. The air filter that arrived is also a very nice piece. You can smell the filter oil through the bag so it's pre-oiled and ready for install.

After a quick dab on the blue mechanics towel to get rid of some of the excess oil (as per instructions) the filter went into the airbox with a snug fit. I didn't bother with a test drive prior and after the install, and I just installed the inlet tube.

The effects can be felt immediately. After turning the key, there is an audible difference and the car idles with a deeper tone. I did notice that there is less hesitation to throttle blips and the car idles a bit smoother. At red lights, the idle doesn't dip anymore and the high pitched induction noise is gone, which was the whole point I wanted this. I did NOT reset the ECU as I felt this is completely overkill on just helping the intake manifold a bit breathe easier. I feel it's like changing out a dirty air filter which doesn't warrant having the ECU relearn everything from square one.

Engine bay is tidied up a bit, dip stick is more easily accessible without the sound tube around it, and it gets rid of about a pound of tubing and resonator. It's not much of a mod but I like the deeper growl. My butt dyno doesn't feel a difference but it does make driving more enjoyable with a quieter cabin.

The only thing that I can suggest to make the inlet tube even better is to put a small indentation into the end of the tube to match up with where the airbox aligns/stops the tube from going to far. Other than that, for what it does, I give the two products 5/5

The quality of service I received was top notch. It makes all the difference dealing with someone rather than a machine. 5/5

Perrin, keep doing what you're doing.
Appreciate the feedback good sir! I'm glad we were able to figure out the PayPal issue and get everything squared away! I am glad to see that you are happy with your purchase!! As always, just shoot me a PM or email if you have any more questions
PERRIN_Mladen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:03 PM   #3
Ahernandez0909

Drives: '13 Asphalt FR-S M/T
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PERRIN_Mladen View Post
Appreciate the feedback good sir! I'm glad we were able to figure out the PayPal issue and get everything squared away! I am glad to see that you are happy with your purchase!! As always, just shoot me a PM or email if you have any more questions
A quick question, I bought a used inlet tube from a friend. It's coming tonight and I want to install it right away. I doubt he put instructions in the box but, is it a common sense thing or is there a DIY somewhere? I looked in this forum and found one for the Zeta Performance one. I'm not sure if they're the same or not. Could you please let me know whether I'm gonna need help with this install?

Member Journal
Ahernandez0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:11 PM   #4
PERRIN_Mladen

Drives: '11 535i
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahernandez0909 View Post
A quick question, I bought a used inlet tube from a friend. It's coming tonight and I want to install it right away. I doubt he put instructions in the box but, is it a common sense thing or is there a DIY somewhere? I looked in this forum and found one for the Zeta Performance one. I'm not sure if they're the same or not. Could you please let me know whether I'm gonna need help with this install?
The install is pretty simple and straight forward. What I'd like to do is just simply have you shoot me an email and I can get you a copy of the instructions. That way there is no confusion and you have a smooth install.

My email is mladen.zoranovic@perrinperformance.com.

Thanks!
PERRIN_Mladen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PERRIN_Mladen For This Useful Post:
Ahernandez0909 (04-02-2013)
Old 04-02-2013, 01:48 PM   #5
ST185RC

Drives: White Out FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
As someone who recently installed this, it's harder to take out the stock stuff than it is putting in the new inlet tube. The stock sound tube has 2 plastic self-anchoring clips that hold it in, those gave me the most trouble. Get yourself a 10mm socket to unbolt the sound generator and you'll have to snake out everything else. Replace the bolts so that water and random debris doesn't fall in.

The one piece of advice that I would push on is to remove the sound tube first before the stock inlet tube. Also have a set of pliers for the butterfly clips, unless you like sore finger tips.

Finally, it's best if you don't tighten the clamps on the new inlet pipe right away to adjust it. You'll find that the tube is much closer to your engine belt than the stock one. Play around with it until you have good clearance and then tighten after.

My tool list has three simple things on it:

10mm or 11mm socket wrench (I can't remember the exact size)
philips screw driver (+)
pliers

level of difficulty 2/10 (1 point itself goes to the anchor clips)
ST185RC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ST185RC For This Useful Post:
Ahernandez0909 (04-02-2013), husker741 (04-02-2013), mgarcia707 (10-30-2018), Mr.Impreza (07-13-2016), PandaBRZ (11-04-2013)