follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-20-2018, 12:43 AM   #1
Kevyn

Drives: Scion FRS 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation Engine from Manuel to Auto Transmission

Soo I recently...oh wait hi! My name is Kevyn and I’m new here so I just finish buying a new engine from a car that was Manuel because my car (A Automatic) started having a knocking noise so instead of rebuild found a new engine with 45k for $1800 now I swap everything over and put the ecu from my old engine on to the new and all my grounds wires are connect and had to switch a lot of components over. With that being said the car now sits on 4 jacks because it cranks really strong but won’t turn over. Everyone telling me I might have to flash my ECU (wink wink) because maybe the engine and ecu are not talking sooo just need help or some advise. Btw I’m a movie when it comes to names of parts more like show me a picture or point it out and tell me to fix it and I’ll know how to do it lol.
Kevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 01:02 AM   #2
Kevyn

Btw sorry for the bad vocab lol
Old 05-20-2018, 01:18 AM   #3
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,927 Times in 16,470 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevyn View Post
Soo I recently...oh wait hi! My name is Kevyn and I’m new here so I just finish buying a new engine from a car that was Manuel because my car (A Automatic) started having a knocking noise so instead of rebuild found a new engine with 45k for $1800 now I swap everything over and put the ecu from my old engine on to the new and all my grounds wires are connect and had to switch a lot of components over. With that being said the car now sits on 4 jacks because it cranks really strong but won’t turn over. Everyone telling me I might have to flash my ECU (wink wink) because maybe the engine and ecu are not talking sooo just need help or some advise. Btw I’m a movie when it comes to names of parts more like show me a picture or point it out and tell me to fix it and I’ll know how to do it lol.
Hello Kevyn and welcome to ...... The Forum ......

That is some project you got yourself into ......

About the engine ...... you say it "cranks really strong, but won't turn over". Do you mean it will turn over but will not fire ... ??

So, where to start. The engine needs compression, air, fuel and spark to run .... right..?? And, oh yes, timing.

Let's assume it has compression. Is it getting fuel and air .. ??

Now, what about spark and timing ...... which is controlled by the ECU.

That's where I run over my pay grade......

Maybe others will be along to help you out.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 01:43 AM   #4
Kevyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Hello Kevyn and welcome to ...... The Forum ......

That is some project you got yourself into ......

About the engine ...... you say it "cranks really strong, but won't turn over". Do you mean it will turn over but will not fire ... ??

So, where to start. The engine needs compression, air, fuel and spark to run .... right..?? And, oh yes, timing.

Let's assume it has compression. Is it getting fuel and air .. ??

Now, what about spark and timing ...... which is controlled by the ECU.

That's where I run over my pay grade......

Maybe others will be along to help you out.

humfrz
Thank you! But before i got the engine I asked the guy to turn it on to make sure it was good Boom he turn it on and it sounded in great condidtion and had no problems he even kept all repairs up to date. Now I chem spark plugs it came with and it got flooded with gas from me cranking it so I put brand new ones now I did have to to put the ratchet on the crank pilot to turn the fly wheel to install the bolts on to the transmission ball thing to the fly wheel lol soo yeah maybe I fucked up the timing on it so maybe I might have to fix it and maybe that’s harder then what it sounds like lol not sure.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kevyn For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-20-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 02:19 AM   #5
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,927 Times in 16,470 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Quote:
Thank you! But before i got the engine I asked the guy to turn it on to make sure it was good Boom he turn it on and it sounded in great condidtion and had no problems he even kept all repairs up to date. Now I chem spark plugs it came with and it got flooded with gas from me cranking it so I put brand new ones now I did have to to put the ratchet on the crank pilot to turn the fly wheel to install the bolts on to the transmission ball thing to the fly wheel lol soo yeah maybe I fucked up the timing on it so maybe I might have to fix it and maybe that’s harder then what it sounds like lol not sure.
Ya know, Kevyn, I surely appreciate your wanting to make that engine swap on your own.

Yep, that's a good way to learn for sure ......

However, I have a "feeling", that you have reached the point where you need some professional advice in order to get it running.

Might I suggest you have your car taken into a automotive shop and have them get it running for you.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:11 AM   #6
BirdTRD
Simply Forgotus

Drives: 2014 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Read this. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2712903
BirdTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BirdTRD For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (05-20-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 04:36 PM   #7
bkharmony

Drives: 2017 86GT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
bkharmony is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bkharmony For This Useful Post:
churchx (05-21-2018), extrashaky (05-21-2018), HKz (05-21-2018), mike_ekim1024 (05-23-2018), sato (05-21-2018), Snake (05-30-2018), wparsons (05-22-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 04:43 PM   #8
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Add another person to the list of 2013s with spun rod bearings.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:49 PM   #9
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Are you saying you turned the crank while the timing chain was off? You will not impact the timing if the chains were still on. I'm assuming you did a direct swap and didn't open up this new engine.

Is the new engine also a 2013? I wouldn't think it would be that involved swapping a manual engine into an auto. There aren't that many parts that would need to be transferred to the new engine.

If I had to guess you have a connector that you forgot. Or maybe one of the ground straps at the bottom of the engine. Do you have any CELs? If so, what are they?
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:48 AM   #10
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,376 Times in 4,136 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkharmony View Post
I don't get it. I thought most race cars now days were paddle shift or sequential without using clutch.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:06 AM   #11
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
It should work fine

You dont need to reflash ecu

Its likely one of the sensors not conmected check maf, map sensors and crank angle sensor, you may have installed something incorrectly this happens to a lot pf guys changing clutch and flywheel then incorrectly install crank sensor wheel

Theor are some differences vetween crank sensors on older cars like 2013 and newer 2017 engines not sure if your engine was that new, use sensors off your original motpr
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
wparsons (05-22-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 10:55 AM   #12
Kevyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
It should work fine

You dont need to reflash ecu

Its likely one of the sensors not conmected check maf, map sensors and crank angle sensor, you may have installed something incorrectly this happens to a lot pf guys changing clutch and flywheel then incorrectly install crank sensor wheel

Theor are some differences vetween crank sensors on older cars like 2013 and newer 2017 engines not sure if your engine was that new, use sensors off your original motpr
Ahhh I see and does the flywheel have to be mounted a certain position for it to turn on the right way
Old 05-22-2018, 10:56 AM   #13
Kevyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkharmony View Post
I’m actually Russian born in a Spanish country with an attitude of a African tribe