Old 06-24-2022, 10:29 AM   #79
DocWalt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Thanked 1,473 Times in 767 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecky_Flowers_ View Post
The S2000 had a similarly-optimized intake from the factory, however there is always room for improvement. The intakes on these cars are no different. Claiming that intakes don't make power on these cars is a bit disingenuous, especially when there is clear evidence that they do. D-Sport also did a comparison of a ton of available intakes for the FR-S and found that most, if not all of them, made considerable power with a tune. Link here: https://dsportmag.com/the-tech/scion...ting-ecutek/9/

Didn't the revolution intake (gruppe m collaboration) make power on the FA20? This seems like an improved version of that design, so deductive reasoning would suggest that it could make power here as well.
According to this thread, it made quite a bit.... https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94390

Again, this intake seems like it would work just as well as any other intake, perhaps slightly better due to the chamber design and the twin air scoops. Once these cars have a tuning solution available for them I am reasonably sure that intakes like these and others will yield healthy gains all over the power band, including in the torque dip. Even without a tune, I am sure modest gains would be realized, but caring about how much power an intake makes without a tune, especially on any car with an engine this size, seems silly to me.

The D-Sport test was done vs the 2013 OEM intake. The 2017+ intake is better and so far I've seen *maybe* one intake outperform it by any statistically meaningful margin.

A drop-in filter alone made 5-ish hp on an early intake. On a 2nd gen it makes like... 2 hp. Which is a MUCH smaller percentage gain when comparing 215whp to 165whp.
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DocWalt For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (06-24-2022), Tcoat (06-24-2022), Ultramaroon (06-24-2022)