follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 12-16-2015, 12:02 PM   #1
Gen3MR2

Drives: 93 MR2 gen3 3sgte, 13 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Corrosion Perforation Warranty. My experience Documented.

12-21-15

Went in today and all they did was take pictures to send in to Toyota. They will let me know when the receive a response.

On another note. I mentioned the 4th gear grind I have had for about 20k miles and they are looking at it tomorrow. They want to charge $98 just to look at it if it's unwarrantable. 50k miles currently, Amsoil transmission fluid change at 30k miles to see if that would fix the issue.

12-16-15

2013 Scion FRS Hot Lava

So late last week around 12/10/15. I noticed that my passenger rear rocker inside the door jam has some perforation and the pain is starting to bubble up like it has rust under it.

I called the dealer early on Monday 12-14-15 and they got back to me later that night around 5:30pm stating that my car was in there for service 6 months ago (got my steering wheel replaced because it was melting in the sun) and already had 37k miles on it and that my vehicle was over the 36k mile 3 year bumper to bumper warranty. I continued to state that that was not the warranty I was calling about, I was calling about corrosion and perforation, 60 month unlimited miles.

He goes on and says that there are no current recalls on paint or rust for my vehicle and there is really nothing he could do about it besides take pictures and sent it to the national level. Again he states that my car is void on the 36k mile bumper to bumper. I again remind him about the 60 month / unlimited mile corrosion and perforation warranty.

I have agreed to take my vehicle in on monday 12-21-15 for them to look at it. Below are pictures that I have taken. Any advice on what to tell them when I go in. I'm not very quick on my feet when talking to people..

I'll keep you guys updated,
Nick

Also anyone know of a better photo sharing site than photobucket? That site over the years has gotten very slow. I used flickr to upload these.

Photos can be found HERE

Last edited by Gen3MR2; 12-21-2015 at 12:54 PM.
Gen3MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 12:06 PM   #2
RichardsFRS

Drives: 2013 Pearl White 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Paint is crap on cars anymore. The regulations and whatnot make it so that auto paint is temporary. Some get lucky and keep it gleaming forever some have the luck you do. My last car, 15 years and just a few tiny chips.

What put the big gash in it?
RichardsFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 12:08 PM   #3
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen3MR2 View Post
12-16-15

2013 Scion FRS Hot Lava

So late last week around 12/10/15. I noticed that my passenger rear rocker inside the door jam has some perforation and the pain is starting to bubble up like it has rust under it.

I called the dealer early on Monday 12-14-15 and they got back to me later that night around 5:30pm stating that my car was in there for service 6 months ago (got my steering wheel replaced because it was melting in the sun) and already had 37k miles on it and that my vehicle was over the 36k mile 3 year bumper to bumper warranty. I continued to state that that was not the warranty I was calling about, I was calling about corrosion and perforation, 60 month unlimited miles.

He goes on and says that there are no current recalls on paint or rust for my vehicle and there is really nothing he could do about it besides take pictures and sent it to the national level. Again he states that my car is void on the 36k mile bumper to bumper. I again remind him about the 60 month / unlimited mile corrosion and perforation warranty.

I have agreed to take my vehicle in on monday 12-21-15 for them to look at it. Below are pictures that I have taken. Any advice on what to tell them when I go in. I'm not very quick on my feet when talking to people..

I'll keep you guys updated,
Nick

Also anyone know of a better photo sharing site than photobucket? That site over the years has gotten very slow. I used flickr to upload these.

Photos can be found HERE
Use imgur to host the photos as I have done for you here, photobucket and flickr are rampant with malware bound photos and crap, imgur is way nicer and faster and can be embedded in forum posts like i just did:

*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
Gen3MR2 (12-16-2015), strat61caster (12-16-2015)
Old 12-16-2015, 12:15 PM   #4
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Also to answer the question at hand look at the Warranty and Maintenance guide that came with your car it may help:

I think you should dispute them (info provided in last screenshot from manual) if they don't cover it.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
Gen3MR2 (12-16-2015)
Old 12-16-2015, 12:16 PM   #5
Justin.b

Drives: 13 Hot Lava, 01 Miata, 09 Outback
The problem is that the warranty only kicks in if the corrosion eats entirely through the metal. They don't cover simple corrosion - only perforation. Surface corrosion is to be expected over the live of a vehicle.

The other problem is that it looks like you (or a passenger) slammed the door with something between the door and the paint was damaged. Any resulting rust from that (if that's what happened) wouldn't really be a warranty issue.

-Justin
Justin.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 12:18 PM   #6
Gen3MR2

Thats what I was looking for something I wouln't have to make someone click a link.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
Use imgur to host the photos as I have done for you here, photobucket and flickr are rampant with malware bound photos and crap, imgur is way nicer and faster and can be embedded in forum posts like i just did:

Old 12-16-2015, 12:27 PM   #7
Gen3MR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
Also to answer the question at hand look at the Warranty and Maintenance guide that came with your car it may help:

PHOTOS REMOVED

I think you should dispute them (info provided in last screenshot from manual) if they don't cover it.

I was reading though that before I called them and didn't have it in front of me when they called back. I guess I will see what they do on monday and I will get back to you guys then.

It took me 3 months to get them to replace the steering wheel. They said they did it on good will.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:27 PM   #8
Justin.b

Was there damage to the rust areas, or is that the paint being pushed out and cracking from rust behind it?

In any case, the problem is that there isn't a perforation claim until the panel is perforated.

-Justin
Old 12-16-2015, 12:28 PM   #9
Gen3MR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardsFRS View Post
Paint is crap on cars anymore. The regulations and whatnot make it so that auto paint is temporary. Some get lucky and keep it gleaming forever some have the luck you do. My last car, 15 years and just a few tiny chips.

What put the big gash in it?
I really don't know. It may have rusted though that way? What got in the rocker to do this to to? Both the rear flaps that cover the holes to the rockers are intact.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:30 PM   #10
Gen3MR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin.b View Post
Was there damage to the rust areas, or is that the paint being pushed out and cracking from rust behind it?

In any case, the problem is that there isn't a perforation claim until the panel is perforated.

-Justin

I believe the paint is being pushed out from rust behind it.

I would say the cracks are perforations.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:05 PM   #11
Justin.b

Quote:

They're not. The warranty covers rust holes through the metal, not surface corrosion.

I think your options are to wait for that to blow through the rocker and hope for warranty or to have the rust repaired and repainted.

-Justin
Old 12-16-2015, 01:19 PM   #12
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
They're not. The warranty covers rust holes through the metal, not surface corrosion.

I think your options are to wait for that to blow through the rocker and hope for warranty or to have the rust repaired and repainted.

-Justin
Quote:

My personal opinion is that there is a slim chance it will be covered by the dealer unless you make it a big deal i.e. disputing it with toyota and such.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:23 PM   #13
Justin.b

The only chance for coverage is if there is an actual rust hole in the metal. Until then, Toyota's not going to pay the dealer and the dealer isn't going to start the stroll don this path.

Until there is a hole, the rust is only an appearance issue in their opinion.

-Justin
Old 12-16-2015, 01:34 PM   #14
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
The only chance for coverage is if there is an actual rust hole in the metal. Until then, Toyota's not going to pay the dealer and the dealer isn't going to start the stroll don this path.

Until there is a hole, the rust is only an appearance issue in their opinion.

-Justin
Still worth talking to ANOTHER dealer since some guys have indeed had stuff like that fixed. Really depends on the dealer though I guess.

Last edited by Tcoat; 12-16-2015 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Missed an inportant word!
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (12-16-2015), stevesnj (12-17-2015)