follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 04-20-2014, 02:45 AM   #1
zenny

Drives: brz 2013
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
some vortech help

hey guys had a couple questions for u ill get straight to the point

1.does the bov annoy anybody else can i block it off and retune for it or will that somehow damage this thing?

2. the self oiled one can i just put 0w20 in there rather then that stupid liquid vortech provided i mean they sell the same supercharger just engine oil lones to lubricate . i think it wouldnt over spin if that was the case

3.is there a way to hit 450 in this? dont tell me i bought the wrong performance i want this supercharger to hit high power itll do really good with all this instant boost

4.thanks

btw for those who havent seen my thread

my mods
borla uel
perrin overpipe 2.5
perrin gutted front pipe 3 inch
perrin unresonted 3 inch
perrin lightwieght pulley
obviously vortech
2.87 smaller pulley
e85 maps
please lemme know any way to hit 400 every lil hp counts
zenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:46 AM   #2
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Which BOV did you get with your unit? Are you using a maxflow? Black plastic bosch? Turbosmart?

I would stick with the vortech fluid, its cheap and made to work with the self lubed units. You could try engine oil, but is it worth having the blower fail to save a few bucks?

What are you currently at with e85 and the 2.87 pulley? mid/high 300s?
2019 Series.Grey STI - Stage1+ SF
DJCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 03:03 PM   #3
zenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCarbine View Post
Which BOV did you get with your unit? Are you using a maxflow? Black plastic bosch? Turbosmart?

I would stick with the vortech fluid, its cheap and made to work with the self lubed units. You could try engine oil, but is it worth having the blower fail to save a few bucks?

What are you currently at with e85 and the 2.87 pulley? mid/high 300s?
not trying to save a couple bucks im trying to save the blower lol im in the high 3s for sure im also running a custom turbo xs rfl bov with my kit but i just wanna take off the bov all together imo supercharges shouldnt have one
Old 04-20-2014, 03:11 PM   #4
nelsmar

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 345 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Where is the positive displaced air going to go when you let off the throttle? Your supercharge does need a bypass valve. Leave it in there. If you don't like the sound use the bosch unit instead of the turbo xs.

When you say "E85 maps" do you mean tune? Get with an actual tuner and get dyno tuned. Sure 400+ is doable on a dynojet. I had 360WHP on a horrible tune on an extremely low reading dyno. (Stock cars do 125-135WHP on the dyno I used). And I was only using a 3.125" pulley and full stock exhaust + stock headers.

If you don't know where you are, you won't know how much you need to change to meet your goal.
Old Setup: Vortech Supercharged 360WHP/262WTQ @ 11.5psi
My build thread - WTF happened to nelsmar's car thread
nelsmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 03:35 PM   #5
zenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsmar View Post
Where is the positive displaced air going to go when you let off the throttle? Your supercharge does need a bypass valve. Leave it in there. If you don't like the sound use the bosch unit instead of the turbo xs.

When you say "E85 maps" do you mean tune? Get with an actual tuner and get dyno tuned. Sure 400+ is doable on a dynojet. I had 360WHP on a horrible tune on an extremely low reading dyno. (Stock cars do 125-135WHP on the dyno I used). And I was only using a 3.125" pulley and full stock exhaust + stock headers.

If you don't know where you are, you won't know how much you need to change to meet your goal.
i actually want my car to hit 400whp lol not dyno jet
what would be some things that need to change to get there? my tuner street tunes me and ok ill keep the bov
Old 04-20-2014, 04:00 PM   #6
nelsmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenny View Post
i actually want my car to hit 400whp lol not dyno jet
what would be some things that need to change to get there? my tuner street tunes me and ok ill keep the bov
I gave you info, and told you what to do. And if you don't want 400WHP dynojet numbers what does 400WHP actually mean to you? People always just throw a magic number out with a magic meaning and never specify. People typically use dynojet for their bragging right WHP numbers and that is usually what people mean when they give an exact number they want.

I would again push towards getting your tuner to dyno tune your car to see where you are. If you know what you want you should probably ask your tuner what to do to get it as they should have an idea of about where your car is and what is restricting you.

If you are far from your goal you may need to upgrade to an oil fed unit and increase the boost more. But that really depends on your current position, how much more power you are wanting, and how much more stress you are okay with.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:06 PM   #7
zenny

Quote:
I gave you info, and told you what to do. And if you don't want 400WHP dynojet numbers what does 400WHP actually mean to you? People always just throw a magic number out with a magic meaning and never specify. People typically use dynojet for their bragging right WHP numbers and that is usually what people mean when they give an exact number they want.

I would again push towards getting your tuner to dyno tune your car to see where you are. If you know what you want you should probably ask your tuner what to do to get it as they should have an idea of about where your car is and what is restricting you.

If you are far from your goal you may need to upgrade to an oil fed unit and increase the boost more. But that really depends on your current position, how much more power you are wanting, and how much more stress you are okay with.
400whp mustang dynod is what i want rel numbers not dyno jet numbers and although true i can ask my tuner but he doesnt see much builds i ask u guys cause the vortech owners know and i contacted vortech i was gonna upgrade its the same dam blower just oil fed this one handles boost just fine
Old 04-20-2014, 04:28 PM   #8
nelsmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenny View Post
400whp mustang dynod is what i want rel numbers not dyno jet numbers and although true i can ask my tuner but he doesnt see much builds i ask u guys cause the vortech owners know and i contacted vortech i was gonna upgrade its the same dam blower just oil fed this one handles boost just fine
You seem to not be fully aware of why there is an oil fed unit. This allows the blower to be spun at a higher RPM safely without damaging the blower. It doesn't make more power, it just allows you to spin at a higher RPM and produce more boost.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:54 PM   #9
Sellout
Mr. Cranky Pants

Drives: 2013 Argento FR-S
Quote:
You seem to not be fully aware of why there is an oil fed unit. This allows the blower to be spun at a higher RPM safely without damaging the blower. It doesn't make more power, it just allows you to spin at a higher RPM and produce more boost.
Or why dynojet numbers are the industry standard and not mustang numbers...
Sellout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 04:57 PM   #10
nelsmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sellout View Post
Or why dynojet numbers are the industry standard and not mustang numbers...
That a pretty big debate. It's also fairy simple to adjust a mustang output. There are two local mustang dynos that show stock cars running a good 40hp difference between eachother. One of which shows stock cars putting down almost 200whp. I personally prefer Maha I don't know anyway to cheat on a maha.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:59 PM   #11
Sellout
Mr. Cranky Pants

Drives: 2013 Argento FR-S
Quote:
That a pretty big debate. It's also fairy simple to adjust a mustang output. There are two local mustang dynos that show stock cars running a good 40hp difference between eachother. One of which shows stock cars putting down almost 200whp. I personally prefer Maha I don't know anyway to cheat on a maha.
That's basically my point. You can make a Mustang read anything you want. It's tough to do with a dynojet. Maha's are great if you can find one...
Sellout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:08 PM   #12
nelsmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sellout View Post
That's basically my point. You can make a Mustang read anything you want. It's tough to do with a dynojet. Maha's are great if you can find one...
I now realize you were making the oposite point than I thought you were making. Looks like we were both making the same point!
The Following User Says Thank You to nelsmar For This Useful Post:
Sellout (04-20-2014)
Old 04-20-2014, 07:31 PM   #13
AZFA20
Automotive Connoisseur

Drives: too many cars
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Garage
I second the notion that the OP needs to know where the power is in order to recommend options for future power goals. Based on the fact the OP feels a supercharger does not need a BOV/Bypass also leads one to believe there is a lack of understanding of how it works. This also leads one to assume the OP lacks the understanding of the oil fed option. Although the compressor wheel is the same that is really the only thing. The bearings are different along with the entire gear box. Would you put engine oil in your transmission? The same comparison can be made with the supercharger since the supercharger has more likeness to a transmission than anything. The gears require specific lubricants for various reasons. The same can he said for the bearing.

Peak horsepower is also not the only way to make considerable differences in power on a Vortech (cough wastegate regulated). Fattening the entire power curve is more useful imo. Anyway, get a good baseline first, understand what you have for forced induction a little better, and then those of us who are affluent with this setup can better guide your decisions. If you just want a higher peak number and maintain the blower you have you really will need to begin considering things like nitrous. This is because you are already overspinning the current compressor with the 2.87" even with stock rev limits. Basically you have tapped the H67B out. The HD (oil fed) is essentially the same but can maintain the higher RPMs for longer stretches before cooking the bearing and lubricant.