follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-25-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Installing oil pressure/temp probes

Anyone install an oil pressure/temp probe yet? On the older WRX there was an unused oil gallery plug which could be used, you just replaced the plug with one of these:

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Suba...il-Galley-Plug

but I don't know about the FA20

Another option is an oil filter sandwich adapter, like the Greddy one or one of the 100 Ebay ones which have multiple output ports on them.

My thoughts are the sandwich adapter would make things incredibly easy on this car with the filter sitting on top of the engine and mounting the sender units would be a piece of cake as well.

Anyone see an issue with using a sandwich adapter?
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:52 AM   #2
pdreams

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwx View Post
Anyone install an oil pressure/temp probe yet? On the older WRX there was an unused oil gallery plug which could be used, you just replaced the plug with one of these:

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Suba...il-Galley-Plug

but I don't know about the FA20

Another option is an oil filter sandwich adapter, like the Greddy one or one of the 100 Ebay ones which have multiple output ports on them.

My thoughts are the sandwich adapter would make things incredibly easy on this car with the filter sitting on top of the engine and mounting the sender units would be a piece of cake as well.

Anyone see an issue with using a sandwich adapter?
Not much of an issue other than there really is only one direction for the hoses and sensor probes to face.

In my case, I have the greddy sandwich plate and I now realize there is no space for me to place the Airaid Intake Box. Other than that, its good.

Cheers
pdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:48 PM   #3
xwd

What are you doing with regards to mounting gauges? I have a set of old Greddy 52mm oil pressure, boost, and water temp gauges from my WRX but I'm thinking if gettin one their new 62mm multi gauges. I like that it's like 4 functions in in gauge and has peak and warning where my 52mm do not.

Good point on the direction. You can get one from Fastwrx or Prosport which can be rotated 360 degrees in order to position the senders in the best position.

http://prosportgauges.com/oil-filter-adaptor-plate.aspx

Last edited by xwd; 08-26-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:29 PM   #4
Synack
Boosted

Drives: Sideways
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Hmmmm I wonder if the ODB port gets oil temp information, I'll be using the Torque app to view the data.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:57 PM   #5
xwd

I believe so, Perrin was monitoring oil temp and water temp on their dyno and I don't think they installed a specific gauge to do so. There is no factory oil pressure gauge though, just the OEM warning light which comes on at very low pressure.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:23 PM   #6
pdreams

Drives: BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwx View Post
What are you doing with regards to mounting gauges? I have a set of old Greddy 52mm oil pressure, boost, and water temp gauges from my WRX but I'm thinking if gettin one their new 62mm multi gauges. I like that it's like 4 functions in in gauge and has peak and warning where my 52mm do not.

Good point on the direction. You can get one from Fastwrx or Prosport which can be rotated 360 degrees in order to position the senders in the best position.

http://prosportgauges.com/oil-filter-adaptor-plate.aspx
I wanted my gauges to be simple so I went for the Defi DIN gauge. Its good enough for me. It really only comes in useful when I am at the track. The rest of the time, its just good to know everything is working as it is.

With regards to the adaptor plate, its not about the rotation. The Greddy thermostat allows you to set it in any direction as well. It is only the configuration of the engine bay, with the oil top up point and other essentials that forces you to mount the adaptor in only one way. Another way would be to relocate the oil filter.

Cheers
pdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 06:47 AM   #7
Brzerker

Drives: World Rally Blue BRZ
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I've be meaning to install an oil temp and preferably an oil pressure gauge to go along with my perrin oil cooler. I would like to ask if there's a guide or any advice on where to install the probes besides getting a sandwich plate that has probe inputs.

And what's this about OP's post on a galley plug? Any information on that too?

I have been searching and reading a few threads, however, they tend to deviate from the topic. Couldn't find a straight answer.

Cheers guys
Old 03-04-2015, 08:07 AM   #8
Guillaume

Drives: Exige S 240
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brzerker View Post
I've be meaning to install an oil temp and preferably an oil pressure gauge to go along with my perrin oil cooler. I would like to ask if there's a guide or any advice on where to install the probes besides getting a sandwich plate that has probe inputs.

And what's this about OP's post on a galley plug? Any information on that too?

I have been searching and reading a few threads, however, they tend to deviate from the topic. Couldn't find a straight answer.

Cheers guys
You're aware that there is an oil temp sensor from the factory, right? You can access the info via the OBD port (with an app such as Torque or a gauge like this one: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=630253 )

For the oil pressure, I find this solution pretty slick: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82414
Old 03-04-2015, 08:15 AM   #9
Brzerker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillaume View Post
You're aware that there is an oil temp sensor from the factory, right? You can access the info via the OBD port (with an app such as Torque or a gauge like this one: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=630253 )

For the oil pressure, I find this solution pretty slick: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82414
Wow, thanks for that oil pressure thread, it does look like a good place to do up the oil temp probe.

Yes i am aware of the oil temp sensor from the factory. However, I'd like to see if there's a location at the engine which enables me to plug an analog sensor before I decide to settle for an OBD setup.

Thanks for the response!
Old 03-04-2015, 10:36 AM   #10
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
HEre is how the TRD gauge sensors are installed

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46488

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:45 PM   #11
Brzerker

Hooked up my oil pressure sensor through the galley plug setup! I must say its a great location to set it up!

Really hassle free and it looks like it'll last! Highly recommended.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:40 PM   #12
nunonuna

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brzerker View Post
Hooked up my oil pressure sensor through the galley plug setup! I must say its a great location to set it up!

Really hassle free and it looks like it'll last! Highly recommended.
Where did you buy the oil galley plug adapter?? Did you use the one you posted from rally sport direct??

Last edited by nunonuna; 03-14-2015 at 09:29 AM.
nunonuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:07 AM   #13
Brzerker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunonuna View Post
Where did you buy the oil gallery plug adapter?? Did you use the one you posted from rally sport direct??
Bought mine at my local dealer's spare parts department. You could get it from RSD too if they can get it to you for cheap and quickly.