follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 07-27-2012, 08:17 PM   #1
SVThis

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What SCCA autocross class will the FRS be most competitive

My thinking is that if it gets thrown into RTR it doesn't stand a chance. What about C stock vs RT?
SVThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:26 PM   #2
simpleisbest
Senior Citizen

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
You mean for ProSolo? If for Solo, the FR-S/BRZ in RTR class would use CS PAX index for final score.

Don't really understand the logic in the ProSolo RT classing....
simpleisbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:45 PM   #3
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
What do you mean by thrown into RTR? It is already in RTR since it is classed in CS. Someone already won a national tour (Packwood) with the car in RTR with a good driver. There might be some other cars which are better based on their index, but I think it will be very competitive.

The car might stand a chance in regular CS once the Solstice Z0K and Miata MS-R get moved out of the class. I think it can be very competitive against the other Miatas, RX-8, and 370Z.

There are quite a few guys looking for the car to get classed in STX which it should be very competitive in, but it won't have ST classing until next year.

Last edited by xwd; 07-27-2012 at 10:22 PM.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:43 PM   #4
mrazny

Drives: BMW 135i, soon to BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwx View Post
What do you mean by thrown into RTR? It is already in RTR since it is classed in CS. Someone already won a national tour (Packwood) with the car in RTR with a good driver. There might be some other cars which are better based on their index, but I think it will be very competitive.

The car might stand a chance in regular CS once the Solstice Z0K and Miata MS-R get moved out of the class. I think it can be very competitive against the other Miatas, RX-8, and 370Z.

There are quite a few guys looking for the car to get classed in STX which it should be very competitive in, but it won't have ST classing until next year.
Anyone who dismisses the 370Z is making a mistake IMO. It's upper-potential is right there with the ZOK's and MS-R's. The other Solstice models that have some of the ZOK bits (they exist) would need to be addressed too.

That's not to say the Twins are outclassed entirely, I just don't think the entire upper tier of CS is being moved here...
mrazny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:13 PM   #5
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Yeah I've talked with Chris pretty extensively about some of this just trying to figure out what the landscape is in CS and the 370Z on the right kind of course like a nationals style open and higher speed course could be a dominant car.

But it's heavy, has camber issues up front which eats expensive tires, has fuel starvation issues, a fairly crappy rear viscous LSD, and it's expensive. I just don't think it's a car a lot of guys are going to jump into even though it has done well at nationals the last couple years.

I think the other Solstice models with some of the Z0K parts will end up getting moved if the Z0K does.

I think the other MX5s will also be very competitive.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:29 PM   #6
mrazny

Drives: BMW 135i, soon to BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'd guess that's also the reason the development is behind, it is the most expensive CS car base, with the most expensive parts (19" wheels, ugh, 19" tires, more ugh, camber challenge, most ugh).

But in anycase I'd rather not see a car that some guy with money gets an advantage over those that don't. We still should be classing potential, regardless of the $ keeping that potential at bay.
mrazny is offline   Reply With Quote