follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 04-25-2012, 07:51 PM   #1
jpdarty7
Patrick D

Drives: 2006 Volvo S60R, 1976 Van Diemen
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Which autocross class?

What class will the BRZ/FRS run in?
jpdarty7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:54 PM   #2
bneale

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdarty7 View Post
What class will the BRZ/FRS run in?
Good question. I wonder if the new SCCA rulebook is out for this year. I'll have to go research this.

I'm assuming of course that you want to know the "stock" class of the FRS right?

bneale
bneale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:34 PM   #3
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,520 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
There's no classification yet as the car isn't out yet. The SCCA will have to study the car's results and come to a decision for next year. So the BRZ/FRS will only be able to compete at the regional level. It won't be eligible for points on the national level.

But compared to similar cars, it looks like C Stock and STX.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:09 PM   #4
Sccabrz192
Detroit Region, MI

Drives: 13 BRZ, 13 Volt, 02 WRX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Thats not necessarily true. As long as the car meets production quantity requirements for this year (which it should/will) the SCCA SEB will class it via fasttrack at some point this season for national competition. I can attest this vehicle launch is being viewed as a very important vehicle to class in terms of future growth for the sport, so i wouldnt be concerned about them burrying it as an also-ran. I support their decision to continue on holding off classing it until they atleast have a few points of reference this summer.

If you are interested in the classing discussion that horse has been beat quite thoroughly on the scca forums
Frs/brz classing
Sccabrz192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:17 PM   #5
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sccabrz192 View Post
Thats not necessarily true. As long as the car meets production quantity requirements for this year (which it should/will) the SCCA SEB will class it via fasttrack at some point this season for national competition. I can attest this vehicle launch is being viewed as a very important vehicle to class in terms of future growth for the sport, so i wouldnt be concerned about them burrying it as an also-ran. I support their decision to continue on holding off classing it until they atleast have a few points of reference this summer.

If you are interested in the classing discussion that horse has been beat quite thoroughly on the scca forums
Frs/brz classing
Interesting thread. I'm surprised how many of them are taking a magazine's numbers as gospel. As active AutoXers, I'd think they'd know how much a driver's abilities can influence such numbers.

I still believe it'll be CS and STX. It's too risky to start it in DS because it might dominate. And it doesn't seem to have the oomph to compete in BS. So I'm sure it'll start in CS.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:19 PM   #6
Sccabrz192
Detroit Region, MI

Garage
It's been a long winter of speculation/bench racing... much of it assumes common driver capabilities.

I am not typically one for bench racing, every vehicle has its shortcomings and its challenges and most are not so evident just based on 0-60 times, skid pad G ratings, and spec sheets. I've placed my bets, put my money down. I won't be driving my BRZ this year, but I think it can be a winner regardless the class... some just may be a little more difficult. The SEB will make the necessary shifts as data pours in to make sure it at least has a fighting shot in the long run and isn't an overdog. They know this isn't "just another car" to squeeze in, it represents hopefully a flurry of potential new members to the sport and hopefully a shift back to the old sports car mentality from manufacturers.

IMO current E-stock cars have had their hay-day. They are becoming quite difficult to find in an order which is consistent with the stock rules and are in good working order. Not to mention they have other places to play and win (Read: STS, CSP). CS also-rans are now quite inexpensive and should be moved down, and CS/ES can start accepting new coupes/convertibles based on their capabilities rather than a price tag.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:04 AM   #7
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

I'll be AutoXing it this year. I compete in RallyX, so I just AutoX for fun. I don't care what class they put me in. I usually AutoX my STI, but I'm looking forward to the BRZ as a training tool. I've been relying on the power of my cars and "saving" a fast entry as ways to be fast. I need to work on being smoother and a momentum car like this is a good place to start. I've thought of picking up a Miata for training, but I haven't been able to justify fitting it into my stable. The BRZ will work as a DD for me as well.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #8
MarkRacerX

Drives: 12' Evo X , prior 1st 86 FR-S
Def Pumped to Autocross it! Be whole new experience coming from a few STi's w/ awd mad understeer...but I did Autocross my 350Z and 135i which had no lsd .

One way to learn a cars limits, RACE IT !!!
08' STi, 04' 350Z, 04' STi, 02' WRX. 96' GSR, 04' SE-R/SpecV
MarkRacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:31 PM   #9
Sccabrz192
Detroit Region, MI

Garage
You will quickly learn what momentum is and why brakes are the enemy.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:46 PM   #10
jpdarty7
Patrick D

Drives: 2006 Volvo S60R, 1976 Van Diemen
Quote:

Frs/brz classing
I'm thinking CS and seems to be the general consensus. Regardless it's going to be a blast through the cones. I autocross a FF in CM and will take my BRZ out occasionally or when it rains. It's going to be interesting to see how it stacks up against an RX-8.
jpdarty7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:14 PM   #11
Sccabrz192
Detroit Region, MI

Garage
Sounds like Either a proposal or decision was made at this months meeting. Look for info in the next fastrack! "Someone" seems to think we should like the results!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sccabrz192 For This Useful Post:
NYC BRZ (05-09-2012)
Old 05-10-2012, 11:33 AM   #12
jdrxb9

Drives: ND2, formerly BRZ (MT/CBS)
Quoting from the other thread:
Quote:
Ive seen rumors...
mind my asking where?

Looks like Fastracks usually come out on ~20th, so not too long to wait for official word, correct?

Quote:
...they may be bumping the non turbo kappas and the mx-5 to bs from cs, in order for the brz/frs to direcly compete with the rx8.
...and the 370Z's!

I hadn't heard or thought of this, but it does sound like a good approach.

So if this goes through, the 86's would run in CS this year 'as is' with the changes implemented for 2013, correct?
jdrxb9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:29 PM   #13
Sccabrz192
Detroit Region, MI

Garage
Junior Johnson fished for peoples opinions on his facebook page before the meeting. That was probably the most useful and informative source ive seen with some good sound logical opinions. Yea still not sure what the outcome will be, usually they wont bump cars around to new classes until the offseason. I dont think ive ever seen it done mid season. that would be unfair to current competitors. I should also clarify the MSR and ZOK models are the ones being scrutinized because of their upgraded oe suspension packages. Id assume if speculations on what the sti brz will be are true, that would go with the zok/msr packages.
Your assumption sounds valid to me as far as timing and process.

Last edited by Sccabrz192; 05-10-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:09 PM   #14
Scooby South
Conedancer

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ SWP
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Sounds like Either a proposal or decision was made at this months meeting. Look for info in the next fastrack! "Someone" seems to think we should like the results!
Quote:
Letter number #7596 is currently waiting to be reviewed by the Street Touring committee. After the Street Touring committee reviews your letter, the SEB will review it, and it will proceed to Fastrack.
this was a couple of minutes ago..
Scooby South is offline   Reply With Quote