follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 02-20-2017, 11:11 PM   #1
dostoyevsky

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Help me plan and get my dream car

Hey guys, before you judge the thread by its title, read it first, its not about me whining, im asking for genuine advice.

I'm a 19 year old dude going to school full time in Vancouver, planning to go to med school, also working 25-30 hours a week @13 dollars to pay for my bills and such.

Over the past year and a half, ive become obsessed with owning a BRZ and I've saved up approx $4000 dollars for a down payment to finance the car and I'm asking for your help to guide me into getting this car in the next few months because I know that once I go into med school, I will neither have the time to enjoy my car (I'll be 32 by the time I become a full doctor), nor the money because I'll be hundreds of thousands of dollars into debt.

Also, before you tell me to wait another year and save up... The insurance is obviously going to be under my dad's name, and he only visits canada once every 2 years...

Now... the other day I saw the thread about everyone mocking the gofundme thing and I thought hey, maybe that'll work for me to get my dream car but I realize and know that it comes off as a very douche bagy move to ask people to help you get your car.

Anyway, Im asking for the collective minds of this forum to offer me any guidance / advice to getting my dream car...

I dont want this thread to turn into a hate thread, I'm just genuinely asking for some guidance.
Thanks
dostoyevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 12:01 AM   #2
Carbinebbq

Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dostoyevsky View Post
Hey guys, before you judge the thread by its title, read it first, its not about me whining, im asking for genuine advice.

I'm a 19 year old dude going to school full time in Vancouver, planning to go to med school, also working 25-30 hours a week @13 dollars to pay for my bills and such.

Over the past year and a half, ive become obsessed with owning a BRZ and I've saved up approx $4000 dollars for a down payment to finance the car and I'm asking for your help to guide me into getting this car in the next few months because I know that once I go into med school, I will neither have the time to enjoy my car (I'll be 32 by the time I become a full doctor), nor the money because I'll be hundreds of thousands of dollars into debt.

Also, before you tell me to wait another year and save up... The insurance is obviously going to be under my dad's name, and he only visits canada once every 2 years...

Now... the other day I saw the thread about everyone mocking the gofundme thing and I thought hey, maybe that'll work for me to get my dream car but I realize and know that it comes off as a very douche bagy move to ask people to help you get your car.

Anyway, Im asking for the collective minds of this forum to offer me any guidance / advice to getting my dream car...

I dont want this thread to turn into a hate thread, I'm just genuinely asking for some guidance.
Thanks
Are you planning on new or used? Just need to make sure you keep your priorities in line. Not trying to discourage you as I know how it feels when you want something. Questions are as follows.
1. Are you paying rent?
2. Do you have monthly bills?
3. Are you paying for your school/books?

I don't mean to dabble into your personal affairs, but maybe these are questions you need to ask yourself.

2017 WRB BRZ
Carbinebbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 12:04 AM   #3
dostoyevsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbinebbq View Post
Are you planning on new or used? Just need to make sure you keep your priorities in line. Not trying to discourage you as I know how it feels when you want something. Questions are as follows.
1. Are you paying rent?
2. Do you have monthly bills?
3. Are you paying for your school/books?

I don't mean to dabble into your personal affairs, but maybe these are questions you need to ask yourself.

2017 WRB BRZ
Yeah wanting something this bad has literally been taking over my life, doesnt help when I'm a car guy and work on relatives cars for free when something happens to them.
Preferably a new 2017 or a used 2017, I'm trying to avoid the older years because I know people abuse the shit out of these cars
1. I dont pay rent
2. I pay for my insurance (Drive the family car), gas, cellphone bill, food, clothes, basically anything other than rent is paid for by me.
3. Well since I'm going to med school I just said screw it and I'm just on student loans, so no payments yet.

Man I have to say that gofundme thing is very tempting, my friend kept telling me to do it....
Old 02-21-2017, 12:11 AM   #4
Carbinebbq

Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Yeah wanting something this bad has literally been taking over my life, doesnt help when I'm a car guy and work on relatives cars for free when something happens to them.
Preferably a new 2017 or a used 2017, I'm trying to avoid the older years because I know people abuse the shit out of these cars
1. I dont pay rent
2. I pay for my insurance (Drive the family car), gas, cellphone bill, food, clothes, basically anything other than rent is paid for by me.
3. Well since I'm going to med school I just said screw it and I'm just on student loans, so no payments yet.

Man I have to say that gofundme thing is very tempting, my friend kept telling me to do it....
Just remember it is more debt on top of your schooling. Then the temptation to spend more money to mod... Yes, I had no intention of modding when buying mine, but that went down the drain. Hate sounding like a parent, and I won't. Last bit of advice is to use your best judgment.

2017 WRB BRZ
Carbinebbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 12:14 AM   #5
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
why are you going to do a gofundme just so that you can buy a car? leave that to life changing incidents that involves REAL and SEVERE consequences. not getting your dream car within the year is not a real life changing experience.

personally, I would tell you to wait until you start school and see how it all goes. I don't know the specifics on your life, but I would say to save your money to slowly pay off school as you're going through it. if you leave it all to pay off after you graduate, you will most likely be living a very hard lifestyle since you will be working many long and hard hours with no money coming in since most of it will be going to daily essentials and loan payments.

I would also suggest taking a personal finance class at your local community college, or your medical university if they offer it (community college will probably be cheaper). I am not saying you need it, but it will help you greatly since you will be in a tough situation for a long time when you're going through school and even after you finish.

this might be hard to read for a car guy, but your personal life takes priority over your hobbies.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:21 AM   #6
KR-S
Sporadic Member

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S M/T
Thanked 3,552 Times in 1,746 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Rest assured that no one, myself included, will give you a single cent if you try and e-beg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyLooie View Post
Nah, homes. It's your dadda's hot goopey goop.
KR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KR-S For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (02-21-2017), Yardjass (02-21-2017), ~el~jefe~ (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 12:48 AM   #7
dostoyevsky

I wasnt intending at all to go through with the gofundme thing, it just isnt right to do, but seeing all this advice, I think I'll hold off for a few more years and decide then... Thank you everyone.

I just hope the BRZ doesnt get discontinued ahah.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:51 AM   #8
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
I wasnt intending at all to go through with the gofundme thing, it just isnt right to do, but seeing all this advice, I think I'll hold off for a few more years and decide then... Thank you everyone.

I just hope the BRZ doesnt get discontinued ahah.
If the BRZ gets discontinued then thats better for you. It will be way cheaper lol

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2017, 12:53 AM   #9
dostoyevsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoma View Post
If the BRZ gets discontinued then thats better for you. It will be way cheaper lol

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
Thats a good way to think about it, I'm just an OCD worry type guy that is scared what kind of abuse the car has gone through before me, knowing that these kinds of cars are track cars and drive-hard type cars.

Like, I was helping my girlfriend find a 2000-3000 dollars car, and I was SUPER ANAL about everything.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:30 AM   #10
ToySub1946

Drives: 15FRS, 05MustangGT, 85Toyota truck
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Here we spell Doctor with a capital D.

Not sure which Vancouver the OP is from ?

These cars are getting so cheap, anybody can afford one...just having fun.

Aim your sights a little lower, enjoy a used car to begin with.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=159201822

Last edited by ToySub1946; 02-21-2017 at 01:51 AM.
ToySub1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 02:29 AM   #11
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Dude, my advice is to buy a car worth 4K. You have that already and it would be paid off.
Go to school, get that done. Once you get a job then buy your "dream car".

Why add more debt while your in college? Unless you get your parents to pay for it. If that's the case that's I see that as a douchebag move, as well as any go fund me type deal.

On that topic the only time I give strangers money to finance their personal toys, is when sex acts are traded. So..... you know. just say'n
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
BboyRuda (02-21-2017), Boomerang (02-21-2017), g e (02-21-2017), Pat (02-21-2017), Yardjass (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 04:37 AM   #12
~el~jefe~
Banned

Drives: 2019 MX-5 RF
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Rent a escalade and get two call girls and 1000 dollars in coke and party. Better return than debt for car
~el~jefe~ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ~el~jefe~ For This Useful Post:
softgrip (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 05:14 AM   #13
Boomerang

Drives: 2015 Toyota GT86 MT UEL E85 RSR CWP
Thanked 4,850 Times in 2,166 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Just get a second hand one, still looks the same and does the same

You are already half way in savings to get this one;

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...ting=159407105

Sell it in 13 years when you are a rich Doctor and buy your Mercedes..

Problem solved...
Boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:19 AM   #14
jasonojordan

Drives: 2013 satin white brz limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
My advice is this. When you buy a car you can't just spend all all your transportation funds on buying the car. You also have to budget your money so that you can afford to take care of said car not just buy it. If you don't do that then you will be in a world of hurt in the future when something inevitably happens. That said with your funds currently available and your plans for the future I would hold off. I don't know how the whole college thing and what not works up there in Vancouver but I would strongly suggest taking the time to apply for grants and scholarships if that is a thing that is possible for you. Taking all the money you need from school loans will buy a lot of financial and mental strain on you once you do complete your schooling. Another thing you may look into is do some soul searching before you commit to the doctor thing. If your sure that is what you want to do then yea go for it. If its no then that is a ton of schooling that really does not translate much to anything else so if a couple years in you decide that is not something you really want to do your going to be up shit creek with alot of debt. You could do it in increments such as start out with the nursing end of things (less schooling less debt). This will also give you the appreciation for your co-workers on that side of the spectrum if/when you decide to become a doctor.

That is my .02 ill get off my soap box now.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jasonojordan For This Useful Post:
~el~jefe~ (02-21-2017)