follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 04-16-2013, 10:13 PM   #309
ShoNUFF
Who's the BADDEST?

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited - Crystal Black
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I ran my stock BRZ in an event a few weeks ago. I spun out twice!

The next event for NY Region is in a few weeks, I just need to learn to go easy on the throttle out of corners.

I want to do tires but I know I'll learn fast on the sh*tty Michelins.

I'm hooked though!

SHO-NUFF!
ShoNUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:22 PM   #310
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Add some rear toe-in will help with the power on oversteer. If you are on a stock alignment it could be toed out for all you know. Stock tires of course are much easier to overpower than something decent.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:24 PM   #311
Kido1986
Dodging cones

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited, 93 Z28
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
On stock front bar, a .15 degree toe-in on each rear is really nice

I reduced to .1 when I went with Strano bar.
Originally Posted by mrbillclintong View Post
If you guys spot any riced frs/brz post them here just for laughs no hating please.
Isn't there already a thread like this? It's called aggressive wheels or summat...
C Street Build/Progress Questions about C Street Autocrossing?
Kido1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:15 PM   #312
Miniata

Drives: 13 BRZ - 90 Miata - 07 FXT -05 Mini
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippinbillies40 View Post
Well Pallotta finished 3rd in pax and I finished 4th today at OVR PE1. I got 1st in RTR over a well set up, well-driven MX5 by over a half second. That's not comparing to competing against a national champ driver in an MSR or Z0K, but I'm not a national champ driver either.

Very interested to see how this works out. PS, Sam, I might bug you for advice for Holly's car this week if you're ok with that
Good job on Sunday, Dave. The car looked great out there. Part of me wishes I had brought my BRZ out instead of the Mustang (I was in RTR as well and talked to you and Holly briefly at the end of the event). Looks like I'll probably be giving Sam a call soon for the Konis and a front bar.

-Keith
The Following User Says Thank You to Miniata For This Useful Post:
trippinbillies40 (04-18-2013)
Old 04-17-2013, 05:58 PM   #313
Sam Strano

Drives: 2013 FR-S Asphalt
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
There are two schools of thought for new folks and what they should or shouldn't do to their cars while learning.

Thinking 1: Don't touch anything and "learn to drive"
Thinking 2: Set the thing up to a known good starting point and "learn to drive".

I'm a #2 type guy, and not just because I sell parts (seriously, in fact I am stubborn about not selling stuff that won't help), but because I teach autocrossing and have for years, and at more than a casual local level. In fact when I teach I actually earn more per day than a Skip Barber or Bondurant instructor.

Let's think this through. If you were learning to drive a stick, would you want to learn in a car with terrible throttle tip in, and a clutch that is super touchy, and a gearbox that isn't synchronized? Probably not. But yet folks seem hell bent on telling others to drive the car stock, they'll learn more. They won't, it's not easier to drive stock it's harder, much harder. And slower. And trust me, the fastest way to wreck someone's confidence is for them to be way off the pace in a hard car to drive. The harder they try, the worse it gets.

If I want to learn to shoot a handgun, I'll start with something pretty close to what I want to use. Doesn't need to be competition grade or anything, but if you know anything about guns you know that tuned ones tend not to be harder to shoot, cheap box stock ones are the worst, typically.

Grip is grip. If you have more of it, and the car behaves more like you want it to ultimately want it to behave, you learn more about driving it, and without excuses.

It's common for folks to not want to change things when starting out. I get it, it costs money. The upside is it makes a better driving street car too. But really it takes away excuses on the car being out to lunch and not everyone can handle that.

For every argument for, there is one against. In the past I'd recommend folks start on tires less than Hoosier's, something that is close but didn't need to have every tenth worth of speed. But since so many of you guys are running either STX or RTR (or whatever it will be in the future), the street tires wear well enough that it's silly to be out there skating around on crappy tires. Camber is easy to add and it's so little and the car is so light it doesn't tear up tires. Shocks and the bar make the car more forgiving, and as you learn you can play with shock settings to suit your taste.
Sam Strano is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sam Strano For This Useful Post:
Areddi (04-18-2013), neurokinetik (04-18-2013), shaunsweeney (12-21-2013), suaveflooder (04-17-2013)
Old 04-17-2013, 09:13 PM   #314
SVThis

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I agree with Sam on this one. Why learn to drive a car that is set up improperly and then have to relearn when you make changes. Do it once properly and be done with it. The only thing you can blame then is the driver.
SVThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:03 PM   #315
trippinbillies40

Drives: '22 WRB
Thanked 1,213 Times in 400 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miniata View Post
Good job on Sunday, Dave. The car looked great out there. Part of me wishes I had brought my BRZ out instead of the Mustang (I was in RTR as well and talked to you and Holly briefly at the end of the event). Looks like I'll probably be giving Sam a call soon for the Konis and a front bar.

-Keith
Thanks Keith, nice meeting you too! The car was great, and should be feared if someone with real talent (ie way more than me) gets behind the wheel.
trippinbillies40 is offline   Reply With Quote