follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-05-2019, 05:40 PM   #211
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I'm slowly coming around to this. In my case, as an 86 replacement (which is primarily my daily driver) I wouldn't have an issue with it, but I would never road trip it outside of the round trip range. I still prefer hydrogen fuel cells for road trips (assuming insfrastructure, etc, but I have to make that assumption for EV as well). You just can't beat ICE for road trips, and I don't think you will be able to for at least 10 years.

I just can't bring myself to buy a car that doesn't have the infrastructure support I need, and electric still doesn't have that. Also, I'm not going to compromise and accept hour long stops on road trips. When driving solo, I don't stop for more than 10 minutes at a time, including meals. If they can get 80% charge down to 15 minutes, and I don't have to plan my trip based on where charging stations are, then I'm all in.
I hear you. A lot of people have the same concerns.

How far do you drive, round trip, on most work days and weekends? I drive ~24 miles round trip to work, plus maybe 12 miles to pick up the kids. Some days I add another 40 mile round trip. That means, on a big driving day, I'll do about 80 miles, the limit of the cheap compliance EVs... but I don't do all my driving at once, so I can charge a good 30+ miles during the day between the two main trips. I make the range I need easily, driving like a maniac all along.

If I have to drive much farther, I have other cars. The FRS if I go alone. The truck or the Forester if I don't. But then I need those bigger drives every so rarely, and 95+% of the time, I fit in the shortest range EV's capabilities.

So EVs are excellent first cars, and then ICE cars are for the long distance driving.

The Fiat 500e, which I'm looking at, will probably be 9300+ tax used, with around 12k miles. I leased one several years ago, so I know it well. 84 miles of realistic range. A hoot to drive. Stylish. SUPER CHEAP to run. 84 miles = 3.5 gallons for me in the FRS (24mpg), which is about $15 at local prices for 91 octane ($4.33 at the ARCO by my office). Charging the Fiat, meanwhile, is about $3.36. That's night rates in California of about $.12/kilowatt. I have a solar setup, so the cost disappears. All I really need is tires, and the Fiat goes though a lot of tires because of how I drive it.

Also, in the city, I can park spots that other people can't fit in, because the car is so damned small. Not quite Smart small, but close.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
Clutch Dog (10-05-2019), mrg666 (10-05-2019)
Old 10-05-2019, 07:38 PM   #212
Clutch Dog

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP , 2005 Saab 97X
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
I hear you. A lot of people have the same concerns.

How far do you drive, round trip, on most work days and weekends? I drive ~24 miles round trip to work, plus maybe 12 miles to pick up the kids. Some days I add another 40 mile round trip. That means, on a big driving day, I'll do about 80 miles, the limit of the cheap compliance EVs... but I don't do all my driving at once, so I can charge a good 30+ miles during the day between the two main trips. I make the range I need easily, driving like a maniac all along.

If I have to drive much farther, I have other cars. The FRS if I go alone. The truck or the Forester if I don't. But then I need those bigger drives every so rarely, and 95+% of the time, I fit in the shortest range EV's capabilities.

So EVs are excellent first cars, and then ICE cars are for the long distance driving.

The Fiat 500e, which I'm looking at, will probably be 9300+ tax used, with around 12k miles. I leased one several years ago, so I know it well. 84 miles of realistic range. A hoot to drive. Stylish. SUPER CHEAP to run. 84 miles = 3.5 gallons for me in the FRS (24mpg), which is about $15 at local prices for 91 octane ($4.33 at the ARCO by my office). Charging the Fiat, meanwhile, is about $3.36. That's night rates in California of about $.12/kilowatt. I have a solar setup, so the cost disappears. All I really need is tires, and the Fiat goes though a lot of tires because of how I drive it.

Also, in the city, I can park spots that other people can't fit in, because the car is so damned small. Not quite Smart small, but close.

to be blatantly fair. if they made a honda fit lookin vehicle that was fun to drive but an all EV, id get one for daily commutes.

again infrastructure would help sway that vote. and longevity factors into that as well.. the leaf hasnt aged well
Clutch Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clutch Dog For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-06-2019)
Old 10-05-2019, 08:15 PM   #213
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Dog View Post
to be blatantly fair. if they made a honda fit lookin vehicle that was fun to drive but an all EV, id get one for daily commutes.

again infrastructure would help sway that vote. and longevity factors into that as well.. the leaf hasnt aged well
Battery longevity and the replacement cost is big in the news at the moment.

Nissan Australia "apparently" quoted over $30k AUD to replace the battery in a Leaf.

Quoted km from Nissan, from new, has been proved to be grossly overstated, a guy in New Zealand (Skylines Australia forum) was saying he needed to recharge his Leaf everyday to drive 30 odd km.

Word around google is a life of around 5-7 years before the batteries are due for replacement, and thats in sunny and warm Australia.

Hopefully the new batteries are much better than the original batteries used.

I believe Nissan Japan are already replacing the original Leafs batteries for a couple of grand, Nissan Australia are going for blood though.

How does this compare to Nissan America?

In other battery related news: I have been looking at this to get to and from work > https://leitner.com.au/products/electric-fat-bike-500w

Yeap, I am lazy
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 12:13 AM   #214
EAGLE5
Dismember

Garage
The Nissan Leaf is a POS. They didn't put a proper cooling system on the battery, unlike pretty much every other EV maker, so the batteries lose their energy. This is like saying that all cars blow up because the Pinto did.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
Clutch Dog (10-06-2019), soundman98 (10-06-2019)
Old 10-06-2019, 11:23 AM   #215
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Drives: Hot Lava 86
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,386 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
Fastback?

What is the problem with this beautiful profile?

Absolutely nothing. I love the way our cars look currently. I just like fastbacks more.
Old 10-06-2019, 02:08 PM   #216
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
How far do you drive, round trip, on most work days and weekends?..
Typical weekday is at least 80 miles (40 mile each way commute), and can be 120 or more and the I don't know in advance that it will be an extended mileage day. I can charge at work, but it's not convenient, and I can't camp at the chargers all day.

Overall, since purchasing it in May 2012 I've averaged 52 miles per day, but that includes a lot of weekends where it doesn't move Friday to Monday and at least 3 weeks a year where we take another vehicle on trips so it is idle for the week. Over that time I have averaged 33MPG and my fuel costs have been an actual $0.09 per mile or $7.56 for your 84 mile drive.

So, in the end if I were willing to separate my DD from any other driving, I would need something with a >150 mile range before I would consider it.

I also am not willing to buy a daily driver I can't easily take a road trip in. Yes I have another car for family road trips (Suburban), but if it's just my wife and me, say for a weekend to visit the grandbaby, we usually take my car since it gets better fuel mileage than her Mustang and (obviously) the Suburban. In the end, my DD is my primary car pretty much for everything.

On that said road trip, which is about 426 miles, we can make it one way in the Suburban without refueling and only have to fuel the FRS at one 10 minute rest stop. I've done the "Tesla maps" thing on that trip which we may every four to six weeks. In a Tesla Model 3 we would have to charge twice, once for 20 minutes and once for 45 minutes. This adds about an hour to our regular trip even accounting for "stop exchanges". Then we have to deal with charging when we reach the destination, which is no where near where our children live.

The 45 minute charge could technically be exchanged for a meal stop IF we had planned to stop for a meal and IF there was someplace near the chargers we could eat (MomHawk has dietary restrictions) and IF it was at the time we would want to stop. Too may ifs for me.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".

Last edited by Dadhawk; 10-07-2019 at 07:17 AM.
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 12:12 AM   #217
EAGLE5
Dismember

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
So, in the end if I were willing to separate me DD from any other driving, I would need something with a >150 mile range before I would consider it.

I also am not willing to buy a daily driver I can't easily take a road trip in. Yes I have another car for family road trips (Suburban), but if it's just my wife and me, say for a weekend to visit the grandbaby, we usually take my car since it gets better fuel mileage than her Mustang and (obviously) the Suburban. In the end, my DD is my primary car pretty much for everything.
You drive a lot. Go test drive a Bolt.
The Following User Says Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-07-2019)
Old 10-07-2019, 01:36 AM   #218
86MLR

My 2 main things.

A clutch that I can kick.

And RWD for maaaaad skids.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:23 AM   #219
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
You drive a lot. Go test drive a Bolt.
Between the FRS and the Suburban I average about 30K per year.

If I were going to buy an EV the Bolt is at the top of the list. I've looked at Tesla but frankly it's too gimmicky for me, not to mention I think they are ugly. What I would really like is something like the Volt that has a 150 mile plug-in range. That won't happen though.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:38 PM   #220
Kids Heart

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited SWP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Convertible
Kids Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:50 PM   #221
flyboy2160

Drives: 2019 potential buyer brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
Fastback?

What is the problem with this beautiful profile?
There's nothing wrong with the profile - keep it. Just make a larger one piece opening instead of just the trunk lid.

For those of us for whom this is a sole daily driver, having a large rear opening and close to a flat aft floor makes the car much more handy for carrying stuff when you need to.

And please spare me a tirade about stiffness.
flyboy2160 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flyboy2160 For This Useful Post:
winstonscifi (10-08-2019)
Old 10-07-2019, 09:52 PM   #222
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,246 Times in 8,613 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
An analog speedo you can see.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:48 PM   #223
86MLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
An analog speedo you can see.
Meh, my old blind man eyes like the digital read out.

A massive green orange red flashing LCD RPM readout would be good
Old 10-08-2019, 11:28 AM   #224
korhun
Database error

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 1,657 Times in 614 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
My wish list:

* Send the manual transmission option to Turkey.
* Put a wiper to the back window.
* Don't let the 3rd break lights be seen from the center mirror.
* Lower the driver seat a little more. Let the steering wheel extend more and can be adjusted higher. (My seat is at the most backwards place, and the steering wheel is at the highest position; still my hands are obstructed by my legs while turning.)
* Thicker steering wheel.
* An option for my kind: no radio, no infotainment screen, no buttons on the steering wheel; and a little more exhaust sound (the sound between 4000-4500rpm is great. Just extend it a little more..)
* Make the indicators more minimalist: put a large RPM meter at the center, a large digital speedometer on the center, and a digit for the current gear. 2018 BRZ heat indicators are just fine, keep it.
* Put reverse parking sensor thing and rain sensors for the wipers. The cheapest cars sold in Turkey have these options, come on.

Do the rest all the same with the current model..
korhun is offline   Reply With Quote