follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 08-29-2012, 09:55 AM   #113
hyper4mance

Drives: 13 BRZ, 97 e36 M3 Rides: '07 600RR
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Morristown, NJ on Ridgedale Ave. To their defense, the manager did say they will talk to the mechanics on this. Whether or not this will happen again at this location, I don't want to find out. I was the first to buy from there and likely first one they saw in person, so I suppose its not that unusual for them to be excited. My only gripe is that it is someone's personal car - go beat on the showroom ones if you want to have your fun.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:26 PM   #114
Sigh-on-Rice
Waited 5 years for this

Drives: '18 MX-5 Club
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by irxproductions View Post
Current Status:

#1 - I left a voicemail with my dealer informing them of this ALL-NEW issue plus letting them know that the shop foreman was able to hear the noise.

#2 - My Scion HQ Case Manager is out today, but tomorrow he will be calling and I'll be giving him an update.

#3 - I intend to schedule another appointment with my dealer to have them repair the deck tapping and this new ungodly chirp from Hell. I will not be waiting for the new ECU to arrive before they attempt to fix these issues.

I wish I found this fun.
Yes, that idle chirp is pretty loud. I get embarrassed driving in a covered parking lot. I hope you get your rear deck noise fixed. I'm not so sure about the idle chirp considering how many people are complaining about it and not one person got it fixed yet. But I'm pretty sure Toyota is working on the idle chirp issue and I'm not worried about that.
Sigh-on-Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:32 PM   #115
Sigh-on-Rice
Waited 5 years for this

Drives: '18 MX-5 Club
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper4mance View Post
I just started to notice this issue on a roadtrip to indy (yes a lot of intimate time with my baby). Started (or I just noticed this issue) at around 3500 miles and still happens now 5k+ miles.
3500 miles is the longest it took for this noise to start that I've heard so far. 2500 miles was the longest until yours. I updated my original post.

Quote:
Well, I sent Subaru an email of this issue and referenced the TAS number as a fix. They stated to bring it into the dealer to get it checked out. Only problem, I don't like bringing it to the dealer I bought it from, since last time I brought it in for a check engine light and it was merely a fuze problem. They drove it pretty hard dropping my avg mpg by 0.7 mpg with 1/3 tank left over 7 miles. Obviously I wasn't very happy on their joyride and complained to the service manager. Does anyone know if I can bring it to another local suby dealer to have it looked at and fixed?
You should be able to bring it to any dealer as cnk says. It's hard to tell if the car was taken for a joyride or had just been left idling for a long time. But if the fix was just replacing a fuse, I don't understand why they needed to drive it for 7 miles. I wouldn't feel right about it too.
Sigh-on-Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sigh-on-Rice For This Useful Post:
hyper4mance (08-29-2012)
Old 08-29-2012, 09:21 PM   #116
Cross Fin

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Same problem

I have experienced the same noise. At first I thought it was the license plate flexing and hitting the deck lid but it continued after I removed the plate. I think I had about 1000 miles when I first noticed it. Looking forward to getting it fixed.
Thanks!
Cross Fin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cross Fin For This Useful Post:
Sigh-on-Rice (08-30-2012)
Old 08-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #117
pinoyplaya

Drives: WRB MT-BRZ LMTD
Yes! This is what I was looking for! I have this noise too! and my gear shifter clunks sometimes.
Drove the car off the lot at 8/6/12 @ 8:06 PM
Traded for Black 2013 Camaro 2SS RS
pinoyplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pinoyplaya For This Useful Post:
Sigh-on-Rice (08-30-2012)
Old 08-29-2012, 09:57 PM   #118
pinoyplaya

Drives: WRB MT-BRZ LMTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPIKsung View Post
I hear a LOUD bang/pop noise from the rear every now and then. It's loud enough to scare the hell out of me. Is this the noise you're talking about also?
I heard that today, But i think I ran into something. I thought it was just a cardboard but it made a loud noise from the bottom of the car. Hopefully it didnt damage anything
Drove the car off the lot at 8/6/12 @ 8:06 PM
Traded for Black 2013 Camaro 2SS RS
pinoyplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:23 PM   #119
Symbiont
Tall guys fit, too.

Drives: BRZ Premium 6MT (SWP)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by feyrerm View Post
Would you describe the symptoms as the sound of road debris hitting in the wheel well or under the back of the car. I get this pinging, ticking sound constantly and thought maybe I had dirt flying out of my tires and hitting the underside of the car somehow, but it seems to happen way too much for that.
This is the same problem I've been having for months. Doesn't sound like the same thing. Back right side of the car.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8332
Old 08-29-2012, 11:36 PM   #120
cnk

Drives: '13 DGM BRZ Limited
Quote:
Morristown, NJ on Ridgedale Ave. To their defense, the manager did say they will talk to the mechanics on this. Whether or not this will happen again at this location, I don't want to find out. I was the first to buy from there and likely first one they saw in person, so I suppose its not that unusual for them to be excited. My only gripe is that it is someone's personal car - go beat on the showroom ones if you want to have your fun.
Thanks. . luckily I don't deal with that dealership. I will say this though, even if the guys at the dealerships don't put miles on your car, it doesn't stop them from revving the piss out of the engine. I watched a salesman at a Mazda dealership get into a MazdaSpeed3 and proceed to start it and rev it to redline again and again for 5m before shutting it off and walking back inside. Makes you want to hook up a GoPro and leave it running the entire time the car is at the dealership.
cnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:08 AM   #121
Dooq

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Hello, long-time lurker, first time poster. I have had the BRZ for a couple of months now, almost 3k miles. Suddenly this last two weeks it developed the same noise as most you folks are talking about. It seems to be from the right rear, checked everything but impossible to locate. I also contacted Subaru through their website. They replied asking me to let them know where/when I will take the car for service. They would like to follow-up on the issue, etc. Just wanted to let you know it's happening to one more BRZ/FRS. Other than that, the car has been quite excellent. It also has the engine chirp, but that doesn't bother me much. But this clicking/tapping in the rear is driving me crazy. Thanks for letting me vent.
Dooq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dooq For This Useful Post:
Alabang 86 (04-23-2013), irxproductions (08-30-2012), Sigh-on-Rice (08-30-2012), Symbiont (08-30-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 05:46 PM   #122
xcelir8brz

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
The clicking/popping noise is really annoying. Anyone advise how they got their BRZ fixed (specifics)?
xcelir8brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #123
xcelir8brz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coultergeist View Post
Apparently they didn't "Post" anything to any Toyota Service boards, but the following information should help dealers look it up. They can ask for the TAS# and get the info from that.

Hope this helps!
Anyone else attempt to point out the 'exact' location of fix. I'd be willing to do this myself with some guidance.

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #124
irxproductions

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2015 Speed Triple
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcelir8brz View Post
The clicking/popping noise is really annoying. Anyone advise how they got their BRZ fixed (specifics)?
My FR-S is heading into Scion tomorrow (9/4) to have this fixed. I'll give everyone an update when/if they're able to track it down.
irxproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to irxproductions For This Useful Post:
civicdrivr (09-03-2012), hyper4mance (09-04-2012), Sigh-on-Rice (09-03-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 07:19 PM   #125
xcelir8brz

Quote:
Originally Posted by irxproductions View Post
My FR-S is heading into Scion tomorrow (9/4) to have this fixed. I'll give everyone an update when/if they're able to track it down.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
Old 09-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #126
travace

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
my FRS is at the dealer now. i hit em for all kinds of stuff all at once. DRL's off, horn off on alarm, auto alarm/lock set off. I also mentioned the rattle at 4k rpm somewhere under the shifter. Last but not least i mentioned this tapping noise. even tho it kind of went away for me... i havent heard it in a couple days. i gave them the TAS# but the dude doing the paperwork looked at me with the deer in the headlights look but wrote it down.

i told them i was on a time crunch of a couple hours as i had to pick up my kids... about a hour later he came back and gave mea loaner car. said will call me later today with a update.

Wish me luck everyone. hope i get my FRS back sooner then later... this Xd sucks. i feel like im sitting on top of a stack of crates in this thing.

Last edited by travace; 09-04-2012 at 06:05 PM. Reason: i have a potty mouth
travace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to travace For This Useful Post:
civicdrivr (09-04-2012), irxproductions (09-04-2012), Sigh-on-Rice (09-04-2012)