follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 03-15-2013, 11:11 PM   #1
6-Shift
Seņor Member

Drives: 2013 Raven, Drifty things
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
HU/Amplifier cutting off low/mid frequencies?

So I just had my Alpine Type E 10" subwoofer and JLS 800W max amp installed in my FR-S. I had the same setup in my Titan and the "sweet spot" seemed to be closer to low-mid range than low. Now that it's installed in the FR-S the sweet spot is SUPER low and there is almost no low-mid response, which sucks because it makes bass hits sound delayed and some songs sound like there isn't even a sub. The Amp is connected to the RCA's in the Bespoke HU, whereas in my truck it was connected with a Line Out Converter. Is this the cause of the loss of response in the low-mid frequencies? Would the Head Unit be cutting the signal to the amplifier at a certain frequency? Thanks for the help y'all. :happy0180:
Attached Images

6-Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:40 AM   #2
cruzinbill

Drives: Argento 6spd FR-S
Garage
Do you have it hooked to the sub out? Next I would get a test tone disc and see which freq you are having problems reproducing.

Finally, I hope your not expecting to get the same results from 2 different vehicles. Cabin gain and the general architectural differences in the car will make for a different sound. Plus you have a box firing up to the roof, its not ideal. Id start with a better box actual built for the car and go from there.
cruzinbill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cruzinbill For This Useful Post:
6-Shift (03-17-2013)
Old 03-16-2013, 09:28 AM   #3
Skippman

Drives: GBS BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzinbill View Post
Finally, I hope your not expecting to get the same results from 2 different vehicles. Cabin gain and the general architectural differences in the car will make for a different sound. Plus you have a box firing up to the roof, its not ideal. Id start with a better box actual built for the car and go from there.

I was wondering about that. It looks like it's bolted to the back of the seat. At first I figured it was loading off the trunk bed when the seats flipped up but it looks like it's mounted so it'd be impossible to fold the seats up.

Another think to check would be how the amps crossover is set. If it's set really low that could account for it. I tried to do a search for the amp you're using but couldn't find anything so I have no idea what options you have for adjusting it.
Skippman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Skippman For This Useful Post:
6-Shift (03-17-2013)
Old 03-16-2013, 12:22 PM   #4
wrohdejr

Drives: 2013 subaru limited wrb brz
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Garage
Since i have a subaru and not a fr-s i am not sure if the bespoke has eq settings that can be modified. I would check there first. Then the amp to make sure the crossovers are set properly. If all else fails i would start thinking about a new box and placement. If your listening to it like the picture has it your not going to get the best bass response. I would put the box in the trunk and have the sub firing towards the rear.
wrohdejr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wrohdejr For This Useful Post:
6-Shift (03-17-2013)
Old 03-16-2013, 01:01 PM   #5
cfusionpm

Drives: Firestorm 6MT Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Your amp should have a LPF (Low Pass Filter) dial somewhere on it. LPFs act to cut all frequencies ABOVE a certain point and let PASS the ones below. Just turn it up to maybe 60 to 75hz to get more response from the higher bass frequencies. I prefer a deeper sound (I'm used to a 12" in a big sealed box and now have a 10" in a small sealed box), so I keep my LPF down around 55hz.

2013 Firestorm 6MT Scion FR-S
cfusionpm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cfusionpm For This Useful Post:
6-Shift (03-17-2013)
Old 03-17-2013, 12:23 AM   #6
6-Shift
Seņor Member

Garage
The box isn't secured there, I just had it moved because I needed space (and it looks cool). The amp is on the low pass setting, but it isn't a knob, it's more a switch between low, mid and high. I am planning on a different box but this is what I had for the truck and I'm waiting until I can afford a really good ported enclosure that'll fit well in the trunk; this current one only fits firing upward, it can't stand upright and fire at the back of the trunk.

What cued me to the difference was actually one song, a classic known as "The Motto," famous for popularizing the term "YOLO." /sarcasm. But seriously, in the first part of the verse, the higher bass used to be where the "sweet spot" was for response, no there is absolutely nothing. I even had my hand on the box and felt very little until the lower bass line came in. The more I think about it the more I think it has to do with the HU, not amp. The amp is using almost the exact same setting as before, but in the truck there was response through more of the lower-mid frequencies whereas now there is nothing. Thank you guys for the help, I know this setup isn't great but if I can find away to fix this cut off issue I'll be satisfied with it.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:55 AM   #7
Skippman

Drives: GBS BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
It has nothing to do with whether your setup is "great" or not. It has everything to do with how happy it makes you. You have every right to expect the same performance out of your gear that you got before. It's the new parts and the vehicle itself that change things. Personally I see no reason why your setup couldn't/shouldn't be tuned to sound decent.

Does anyone know if the BeSpoke has an internal engineering menu? Maybe it's setting the crossover slope really low internally at like 60hz or something?
Skippman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Skippman For This Useful Post:
6-Shift (03-17-2013)
Old 03-17-2013, 10:35 AM   #8
chadstyle

Drives: 2013 Subaru BR-Z Limited
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
It sounds like one of two things:

1. The Bespoke RCA out isn't sending a proper sub-out signal. I have a BRZ so I can't go into the menu to see if the sub-out crossover freq is adjustable. If you DO find and adjustment in a menu, set it to 80hz.

2. This HPF/LPF "switch" on the amp also sounds suspect. What amp/model number? Most amps have a switch AND a frequency adjustment pot on the amp. Again, 80hz is a good starting point for low pass with a 10" sub.

Lastly, if there are multiple RCA outs on the back of the Bespoke deck, be sure that you're not plugged into a "rear out" as it may have some funny crossover points built into the output...

Once you get the frequency response dialed in, move your box around to different positions. Try aiming it back, to the side, up, forward, etc... You want it to load against the trunk or rear glass to get maximum output. As mentioned above, the results will vary greatly between a truck and a car using the exact same components.

Hope this helps...
Old 03-17-2013, 04:42 PM   #9
6-Shift
Seņor Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippman View Post
It has nothing to do with whether your setup is "great" or not. It has everything to do with how happy it makes you. You have every right to expect the same performance out of your gear that you got before. It's the new parts and the vehicle itself that change things. Personally I see no reason why your setup couldn't/shouldn't be tuned to sound decent.

Does anyone know if the BeSpoke has an internal engineering menu? Maybe it's setting the crossover slope really low internally at like 60hz or something?
Exactly. I feel like some people go crazy when you don't use full competition level equipment...The shop where I had this installed mostly sells JL Audio stuff and I would have to pay quadruple to have a 10" subwoofer and 750 watt amp from JL... Anyway from my searching I couldn't find a menu to adjust the crossover slope anywhere. The headunit's audio controls are pretty basic...
Old 03-17-2013, 06:06 PM   #10
cruzinbill

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missourifornian View Post
Exactly. I feel like some people go crazy when you don't use full competition level equipment...The shop where I had this installed mostly sells JL Audio stuff and I would have to pay quadruple to have a 10" subwoofer and 750 watt amp from JL... Anyway from my searching I couldn't find a menu to adjust the crossover slope anywhere. The headunit's audio controls are pretty basic...

The HU isnt limiting your setup its the box/sub configuration in this car.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:09 PM   #11
6-Shift
Seņor Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzinbill View Post
The HU isnt limiting your setup its the box/sub configuration in this car.
That's certainly possible, and I'll agree that the box sucks and the amp isn't high quality. However, the problem is that the amplifier or head unit is cutting off the low-mid frequencies. I believe it's because of the HU. It was doing this while the subwoofer was in the trunk with the seats up too.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:26 PM   #12
cruzinbill

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missourifornian View Post
That's certainly possible, and I'll agree that the box sucks and the amp isn't high quality. However, the problem is that the amplifier or head unit is cutting off the low-mid frequencies. I believe it's because of the HU. It was doing this while the subwoofer was in the trunk with the seats up too.
If you are using the Bespoke its not cutting it off. It plays 80hz -100hz fine. Which is more than high enough for a sub. There are plenty of people running subs of it with no issue. @JoeBoxer would agree his had no issue with output, same with the person that now has that sub. I dont know his forum name tho.
The Following User Says Thank You to cruzinbill For This Useful Post:
6-Shift (03-17-2013)
Old 03-17-2013, 08:03 PM   #13
JoeBoxer

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 1,627 Times in 997 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Is the Subwoofer setting on the head unit turned on? It will still play if not but output sucks.
JoeBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:01 PM   #14
6-Shift
Seņor Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoxer View Post
Is the Subwoofer setting on the head unit turned on? It will still play if not but output sucks.
Yes it is. Thank you @cruzinbill this leads me back to the amp. Will take a look the next chance I get. Thank y'all for the help