follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 12-19-2022, 01:01 AM   #575
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I threw on my old Perrin 2.5” resonated exhaust over the weekend. I haven’t seen many people using this on the 2nd gens. Fitment was absolutely perfect. I would describe the sound as OEM+. I wanted an exhaust that would fill in the low end before ASC kicks in where the FA24 can sound a little thrashy/agricultural. This is that exhaust. It’s bassy and smooth, but blends seamlessly with ASC towards the top end. Zero drone. Cold starts are a little loud, probably just quiet enough to be neighbor friendly at 5 am on a weekend.

Overall this could be the OEM sport exhaust. Perfect fitment, no drone, blends well with ASC and gives the car a bassy, smooth sound through the rev range. Highly recommend if you want a “mature sounding” exhaust.

Sound clips (best through headphones/audio system):

Tunnel, windows open

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build

Last edited by DarkSunrise; 12-19-2022 at 01:16 AM.
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
Aroundomaha (12-22-2022), Ash_89 (01-09-2023), JD001 (01-07-2023)
Old 12-19-2022, 10:27 AM   #576
DocWalt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Thanked 1,484 Times in 773 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
I had the Perrin on my car for a while. I swear they changed the resonator or muffler design internally, my first gen never droned even with a header. It droned like crazy on my second gen.

A buddy had an old Perrin on his second gen but he had no drone. I even drove it around on the same roads as my car and it was obvious that they changed something.
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 12:10 PM   #577
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
I had the Perrin on my car for a while. I swear they changed the resonator or muffler design internally, my first gen never droned even with a header. It droned like crazy on my second gen.

A buddy had an old Perrin on his second gen but he had no drone. I even drove it around on the same roads as my car and it was obvious that they changed something.
That wouldn’t surprise me actually. There was a guy on the other forum who was also complaining about drone with his Perrin. Made no sense to me after putting mine on but I could see that if they changed something with the design. Would be nice if Perrin labeled them differently somehow to avoid confusion.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 01:35 PM   #578
jetvermillion

Drives: '22 BRZ Limited MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Ordered the HKS Spec L II for the 2nd gen. I went for the L II over the L for the nicer tip design and tip cover options, even though I would have preferred the slightly louder L. I was very tempted by the Borla S Type (it sounds a bit better than the HKS as far as I can tell from sound clips) but there isn't a 2nd gen version ready even if the 1st gen fits, and I thought the exhaust looked a bit bare with the muffler way back in the exhaust. Weird critique for something I wont really look at but overall I prefer the HKS aesthetics and staying JDM is a plus.
jetvermillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 03:05 PM   #579
vindiesel

Drives: 2023 brz limited 6mt red
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Here is my 2 cents plus tax assessment. If you’re never wanting to do headers you might as well just do a axle back setup to save on cash because your paying for sound/tip aesthetics.

If you’re doing headers you should aim for a quieter style catback like borla, hks l spec, mxp (questionable choice for drone) and or Perrin to keep the sound/drone tolerable for everyday use/neighborhood friendly. 100-110db full throttle but mild at part throttle,

Any axle back, tomei, single exit, awe touring/race is going to be 120db plus easily even with a feather foot and obnoxious with a header.

Understand that headers/catback add minimal hp/$ ratio…. This is all looks and sound. 900$-2000$ for headers/catback or axle back combined for 7-10hp is steep pals.

If you truly are “performance oriented” you might as well do no exhaust/intake/tune mods until you buy a blower/turbo kit.

Last edited by vindiesel; 01-07-2023 at 03:33 PM.
vindiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vindiesel For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (01-08-2023)
Old 01-07-2023, 07:54 PM   #580
jetvermillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindiesel View Post
Here is my 2 cents plus tax assessment. If you’re never wanting to do headers you might as well just do a axle back setup to save on cash because your paying for sound/tip aesthetics.

If you’re doing headers you should aim for a quieter style catback like borla, hks l spec, mxp (questionable choice for drone) and or Perrin to keep the sound/drone tolerable for everyday use/neighborhood friendly. 100-110db full throttle but mild at part throttle,

Any axle back, tomei, single exit, awe touring/race is going to be 120db plus easily even with a feather foot and obnoxious with a header.

Understand that headers/catback add minimal hp/$ ratio…. This is all looks and sound. 900$-2000$ for headers/catback or axle back combined for 7-10hp is steep pals.

If you truly are “performance oriented” you might as well do no exhaust/intake/tune mods until you buy a blower/turbo kit.
I've done axlebacks on previous cars and was never satisfied with them. I still ended up going to a catback in the end and the axleback was ultimately a waste of time and money. Thanks to California laws, I'll have to decide whether headers+tune is worth the legal headache down the line. But even if I dont I can perfectly accept that a catback is 100% looks and sound
The Following User Says Thank You to jetvermillion For This Useful Post:
vindiesel (01-07-2023)
Old 01-08-2023, 08:09 PM   #581
simpleisbest
Senior Citizen

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
FYI Apex'i has a new single exit exhaust option that is surprising quiet.

Just installed on the car is their N1-X Single Exit exhaust that is paired with their Apex'i non-catted EL header & Catted Front Pipe combo (1st Gen part).

I previously had the Remark muffler delete installed and was pretty familiar with what to expect with single exit exhausts on my previous 1st Gen cars. Expecting that headers would really turn up the volume, I was in search for an exhaust to muffle the noise some while not pissing off the neighbors too much.

The Japan literature advertised 92dbA with this combo and Apex'i USA was pretty confident in those numbers as they are part of the products JASMA certification, so I placed my order. As it seems my car was the first in the US market to get the N1-X single exit version, Apex'i offered to perform install while borrowing the car for product shots & other media. I just got the car back late last week and finally had a chance to put some miles on the new set up.

While I did notice expected small uptick in power (no tune yet), what really surprised me is how shocking quiet this combo is. I really cant believe how quiet it is. I would say it is very similar to stock as far as overall noise volume maybe just a hair louder. Just a little bit more low rpm rumbles with some base but at low noise volumes. No real cabin drone on the freeway so far and cold start is now almost as quiet as the bone stock set up.

We will see if things louden up after a tune and a couple of seasons of track days, but so far very happy.

If anything, I would say it is a bit too quiet now lol

:pics ripped from their recent facebook posts:
Attached Images

simpleisbest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to simpleisbest For This Useful Post:
Jdogg88 (01-10-2023), jongers (01-09-2023)
Old 01-09-2023, 10:27 AM   #582
jetvermillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jianlun View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jianlun View Post

Some more clips of the Spec L II

The Following User Says Thank You to jetvermillion For This Useful Post:
diga (01-09-2023)
Old 01-09-2023, 02:48 PM   #583
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindiesel View Post
If you’re doing headers you should aim for a quieter style catback like borla, hks l spec, mxp (questionable choice for drone)
To be fair, there are two different MXP exhausts available. The SP is much more quiet than the Comp RS.
Old 01-09-2023, 02:53 PM   #584
OkieSnuffBox

So I have to say, I have the Remark Elite catback on my '23, I'll be getting a different exhaust this summer.

It's a droning/booming mess inside the car between 2500-3300 RPMs. It's so loud inside the car, you can't even hear what the exhaust sounds like outside the car, even with the windows down.

It's well built and affordable, but I would pass unless you want crazy amounts of drone.

I should have purchased another MXP SP or an ARK exhaust instead.
DNAcomposition (01-09-2023), OND (05-12-2023)
Old 01-09-2023, 03:36 PM   #585
jetvermillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
So I have to say, I have the Remark Elite catback on my '23, I'll be getting a different exhaust this summer.

It's a droning/booming mess inside the car between 2500-3300 RPMs. It's so loud inside the car, you can't even hear what the exhaust sounds like outside the car, even with the windows down.

It's well built and affordable, but I would pass unless you want crazy amounts of drone.

I would like to hear your thoughts if you end up with the ARK. I was every tempted by it. I had the ark grip on my g37 and it sounded perfect for the car. even got compliments on it from friends who knew nothing about cars
Old 01-09-2023, 04:52 PM   #586
DNAcomposition

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited 6MT WRB
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I have the Remark Elite Spec catback as well. For me, the drone range is ~2,700-2,900 RPM. For the most part, it doesn't bother me especially when accelerating or decelerating through that range, and I really enjoy that deeper sound in the lower register. The most noticeable drone is when cruising in that RPM range. For me when driving around town, it's usually ~40 mph in 4th gear. It's tolerable for me, but depending on the situation I'll sometimes downshift into 5th gear and it's no longer an issue.

I can definitely see where you're coming from. Hopefully you're able to find a suitable replacement without spending too much money. I was initially looking at the HKS L-spec II, but really couldn't justify the 2x cost and was worried that it would be TOO quiet.

I really love the tone of the exhaust note, so will be keeping mine on the car.
DNAcomposition is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DNAcomposition For This Useful Post:
jongers (01-09-2023)
Old 01-10-2023, 01:06 AM   #587
OkieSnuffBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNAcomposition View Post
I have the Remark Elite Spec catback as well. For me, the drone range is ~2,700-2,900 RPM. For the most part, it doesn't bother me especially when accelerating or decelerating through that range, and I really enjoy that deeper sound in the lower register. The most noticeable drone is when cruising in that RPM range. For me when driving around town, it's usually ~40 mph in 4th gear. It's tolerable for me, but depending on the situation I'll sometimes downshift into 5th gear and it's no longer an issue.

I can definitely see where you're coming from. Hopefully you're able to find a suitable replacement without spending too much money. I was initially looking at the HKS L-spec II, but really couldn't justify the 2x cost and was worried that it would be TOO quiet.

I really love the tone of the exhaust note, so will be keeping mine on the car.
That's totally fair, we all have different levels of X we are OK with.

I may, at some point, do a header and front pipe, and then it would really be over the top.
DNAcomposition (01-10-2023)
Old 01-10-2023, 10:51 AM   #588
DNAcomposition

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited 6MT WRB
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
That's totally fair, we all have different levels of X we are OK with.

I may, at some point, do a header and front pipe, and then it would really be over the top.
Agreed, I think + header/front pipe would make it unbearable.
DNAcomposition is offline   Reply With Quote