follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 04-24-2016, 02:42 PM   #15
dp1
driving smoother faster

Drives: Sold
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Oil pressure/temp gauges & block8head.com gauge pod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Danko - how solid is the mounting of the blockhead part? Thinking about the 2 or 3 pod model. Going to run DEFI gauges.

Hi, it seems very solid to me but I haven't tried the others so not sure...I probably wouldn't put more than two gauges there to avoid too much distraction. My Stack gauge flashes on min threshold and I plan on glancing at the P3 for temp only when Stack flashes. I only glance at AFR/boost sometimes to check tune (delicious has worked great for me) or boost for leaks. I plan on hooking up BT OBD2 with Harry's Laptimer to record more data, though I will have to unplug P3 first. Defi was recommended but I wanted the flashing face feature since things move fast on track...

Also, p3 is completely blocked by my left hand holding the wheel at 9 o'clock when my seat is adjusted for track. Single blockhead gauge is completely unobstructed...not sure how many would remain unobstructed...also depends on height, seating position...
dp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:05 AM   #16
dp1
driving smoother faster

Drives: Sold
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Danko - how solid is the mounting of the blockhead part? Thinking about the 2 or 3 pod model. Going to run DEFI gauges.

I checked - 6 ft tall person in optimal seating position and hands at 9-3 o'clock would be able to see all three blockhead gauges without having to lean head to the left. With a wheel turned and hand blocking the view, only the leftmost one would stay unobstructed. No big deal as it's easy to lean a little when needed - most importantly eyes don't have to travel far from the driving line of sight. In other words, it looks like any number of blockhead pods would work well wrt placement/visibility.

Keep in mind that the pod takes pretty small gauges so any feature that makes it obvious when something is wrong is even more welcome...that's primarily why I ended up with Stack.
dp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:29 AM   #17
GT86_PRAGUE

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp1 View Post
Looking at getting dedicated oil pressure and temp gauges and already have p3. Would like to free up obd2 (disconnect p3) so I can log with my MX wifi odb2 while on track.

Not sure if the block8head.com pod (ideal placement for me) is sturdy enough for track, especially the dual pod. Alternatively I could put a single oil pressure gauge on top and oil temp in vent instead of p3.

Your experience with the dual block8head gauge pod on track/ax? Thx
I have dual B8H pod with Defi Oil pressure & temp (analog).
The pod is PITA to install and thus very stable enywhere. I have oil temp sensor pluged instead of oem dummy pressure switch and oil pressure on top of the block near A/C. I have this for 3+ months and 0 problems.
I think dual pod is optimum, I would put third pod into vent.
GT86_PRAGUE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GT86_PRAGUE For This Useful Post:
dp1 (04-25-2016)
Old 04-25-2016, 11:00 AM   #18
Cockatoo
TALLY FT86

Drives: 2014 FR-S Monogram -- SBD Turbo --
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Love my dual setup! NO problems with driving the car hard or anything...

Last edited by Cockatoo; 04-25-2016 at 02:18 PM.
Cockatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cockatoo For This Useful Post:
dp1 (04-25-2016), GT86_PRAGUE (04-26-2016)
Old 04-25-2016, 11:15 AM   #19
Alan

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Ltd. / E60 M5
Thanks guys. I'm probably going to do the dual pod for oil t/p and coolant in the left vent.

Anyone want a p3? Mine will be for sale.
2013 BRZ Limited | SWP | Verus Ventus 1 and High-Efficiency Rear Wing | Invidia N1 Ti | JR Oil Cooler | RCE T2 | RaceSeng Cas/Cam | SPL LCA & TA | Wilwood/RR Racing Stage II/Sport Performance | XP10 | Apex ARC-8 | Toyo R888R | 245/40-17 | Sparco Ergo II/Evo II | AIM MXP | SmartyCam GP HD 2.2
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alan For This Useful Post:
GT86_PRAGUE (04-26-2016)
Old 04-25-2016, 01:49 PM   #20
xkalelx

Drives: 2013 BRZ black
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp1 View Post
Also, did anyone install new sensors for both oil pressure and oil temperature? I saw posts on the oil pressure sensor but still searching for the best oil temp sensor location. I know I can read oil temp via odb2 but would like to free it up.
Quote:
I'm running oil pressure and temperature (and now vac/boost). I started out on a dual pod Block8head and just upgraded to a triple pod Block8head. Mount is very sturdy. Many spirited driving days and it hasnt been an issue. My first track day is next month, I don't anticipate any issue with this.

Note for those that install a dual or triple pod Block8head. It helps to push up from the bottom the dash panel with a pry bar to get it to clip into place. Very difficult to snap into place from the top side only as it wants to push down on the dash while going in.

Old 11-24-2017, 08:01 PM   #21
arthur93

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwd View Post
There are some threads on this but there is another tap location on top of the block. I use that one for oil pressure and then just replaced the factory oil pressure warning sensor with the temp one.
I know i am reviving a bit of a dead thread, but do you mean the sensor under the filter? Like in this image?

Reason I ask is because I am installing an oil pressure and temp gauges. Looking at using the port next to the throttle body for temp. According to auto meter, they recommend using the factory sensor location for oil pressure. My worry is the ECU is no longer receiving this information. Should I be worried?

Instagram: artym93
arthur93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 08:17 PM   #22
Ultramaroon
extra what?

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,809 Times in 19,084 Posts
Mentioned: 1111 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthur93 View Post
I know i am reviving a bit of a dead thread, but do you mean the sensor under the filter? Like in this image?

Reason I ask is because I am installing an oil pressure and temp gauges. Looking at using the port next to the throttle body for temp. According to auto meter, they recommend using the factory sensor location for oil pressure. My worry is the ECU is no longer receiving this information. Should I be worried?
It's just for the idiot light. I recommend taping off the connector to keep it clean in case you want to use it again.

Also, the thread for the pressure switch is BSPT (British Standard Pipe, Taper)

An NPT fitting may start but will quickly jam because they differ by one thread per inch.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:24 PM   #23
arthur93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
It's just for the idiot light. I recommend taping off the connector to keep it clean in case you want to use it again.

Also, the thread for the pressure switch is BSPT (British Standard Pipe, Taper)

An NPT fitting may start but will quickly jam because they differ by one thread per inch.
Thank you for the quick reply!! Is this the only way I can do it? I have a hks oil cooler but the adapter it comes with doesn't have any ports. So using a filter adapter is no option for me.

And yes, I will be purchasing the correct adapter. Want to do it right the first time!!

The Following User Says Thank You to arthur93 For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (11-24-2017)
Old 11-24-2017, 10:06 PM   #24
Ultramaroon
extra what?

Quote:
Thank you for the quick reply!! Is this the only way I can do it? I have a hks oil cooler but the adapter it comes with doesn't have any ports. So using a filter adapter is no option for me.

And yes, I will be purchasing the correct adapter. Want to do it right the first time!!
It's not the only way but it's the best way. The forward main galley plug is super tight. I bought a second set of accurately-ground socket head drivers just for the plug. The bit stored up so much spring energy that the breaker smacked my hand when the plug let go.

I can easily picture stripping the head.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:14 PM   #25
arthur93

Quote:
It's not the only way but it's the best way. The forward main galley plug is super tight. I bought a second set of accurately-ground socket head drivers just for the plug. The bit stored up so much spring energy that the breaker smacked my hand when the plug let go.

I can easily picture stripping the head.
Very interesting. Will need to watch out for that. I have already read somewhere on the forums that the gallery plug has white loctite on it. When putting the adapters on, would I be required to put loctite on again. If so, any specific one? Or should I use teflon tape to stop any leaks?

Old 11-24-2017, 10:33 PM   #26
Ultramaroon
extra what?

Quote:
Very interesting. Will need to watch out for that. I have already read somewhere on the forums that the gallery plug has white loctite on it. When putting the adapters on, would I be required to put loctite on again. If so, any specific one? Or should I use teflon tape to stop any leaks?
I prefer wrapping teflon tape sparingly over clean threads but it comes down to personal choice. Follow the manual when in doubt.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:42 PM   #27
arthur93

Quote:
I prefer wrapping teflon tape sparingly over clean threads but it comes down to personal choice. Follow the manual when in doubt.
Legend. Thank you for your advice!!

Old 11-24-2017, 10:44 PM   #28
Ultramaroon
extra what?

Quote: