follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 08-22-2016, 04:50 PM   #1
nalc

Drives: 13 BRZ Limited 6MT GBS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Bizarre BRZ radio rebooting

Hey guys,

I have been having a weird problem the past week and I am at a loss, so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas.

For the past week, when I turn on my car, the radio will turn off after 30 seconds. The screen goes totally black for a few seconds, then shows a white background with a Subaru logo for a few seconds, and then continues doing whatever it was doing.

Then, after another 30 seconds or so, it does it again, but for a bit longer, and this time the radio acts like it has been reset. It boots into a series of warnings about not using the maps when driving and not removing the SD card, the sound is off and when you turn it back on it goes straight to the FM 1, Preset #1. The presets are still there but if you were listening to anything on the USB (or I assume a CD but I haven't tested it), it loses it.

It happens every time I drive like clockwork. The radio functions perfectly fine for the rest of the drive. The first reboot always lets it continue in the same radio station or song on USB, the second reboot always brings it back to Audio Off.

It's annoying because I like to listen to podcasts on USB, so every drive now I need to see where I am in the podcast before it turns off, then hold down the fast forward button for a minute or two to get back there after the second reboot.

I'm pretty fed up with it and I'm past the three year warranty.

Anyone else run into something like this?
nalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:31 PM   #2
slyphen

Drives: Man
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to slyphen Send a message via Yahoo to slyphen
this is interesting. mine would randomly cut out sound on all inputs (bluetooth or radio), and would randomly come back. sometimes it would be a while before it come back. This is not the first time i had an issue with the headunit. my first 1 refuse to boot GPS, and the dealer had to swap the whole thing.
slyphen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:56 PM   #3
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
have you tried pulling the radio fuse and checking the contacts to make sure they're clean? if everything looks good, I would disconnect the battery and push the brake pedal a few times to burn any excess charge left, wait a few minutes, then connect the battery back. hopefully that works. if not, pop off the trim and unscrew the HU and check all the connections on the back of the unit. if everything looks good, then I am out of ideas aside from taking it back to the dealership or buy a new HU lol
Old 08-23-2016, 08:16 AM   #4
nalc

Drives: 13 BRZ Limited 6MT GBS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoma View Post
have you tried pulling the radio fuse and checking the contacts to make sure they're clean? if everything looks good, I would disconnect the battery and push the brake pedal a few times to burn any excess charge left, wait a few minutes, then connect the battery back. hopefully that works. if not, pop off the trim and unscrew the HU and check all the connections on the back of the unit. if everything looks good, then I am out of ideas aside from taking it back to the dealership or buy a new HU lol
I'll try that. It just seems so bizarre how it happens at exactly the same time and in the same order every drive. Makes me wonder if it's a software thing.
nalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 10:10 AM   #5
TelMinz
Rotary for the win

Drives: BRZ, FD3S RX7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Check your battery cables to see if they are loose maybe
Old 08-23-2016, 10:24 AM   #6
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
the head unit randomly resetting about 1 minute into the drive has happened to me before; probably 3 or 4 times. it happened about a year and a half after I had bought my car, did it over a period of a couple of months, then hasn't done it again.

had a similar issue in our 2013 outback, but more spaced out. seems completely random, but not often enough for us to bring it in.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote