follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 11-22-2015, 05:02 PM   #1
Ginger Academy

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Oil Brand/Oil Change question

I have a few quick questions and concerns, sorry if they are obvious but I would rather be safe than sorry. I purchased my FRS a few months ago and was able to get a killer deal due to it being on the lot for a vast amount of time. (175+ days) I was looking at some of the other threads to decide on what oil I was going to run. For reference I will not let any Toyota dealerships work on my car unless its a recall due to experiences with my Tacoma. I got to thinking about when I should change it due to it sitting for a long period of time on the lot. I have now had it for under 3 months and the odo is at 2600 miles. Do I need to change the oil now? Will it hurt to wait? I know changing the oil wont be bad, but should I worry about how broken down it is from sitting for so long and then putting that many miles on it. Sorry if I sound stupid, I was just super curious because when most shops change oil its xxx miles or xxxx date til next change. My other question revolves arout what brand will be safe to use for Indiana Weather. I am originally from NW IN but am currently living in southern Indiana. I have seen nothing but good reviews on the eneos sustina 0w20 and that was what I was probably going to go with, but just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to be to thin for where i drive at. I read somewhere that eneos was the thinnest of the 0w20 where as redline was one of the heaviest if that makes any sense. Sorry for story!
Ginger Academy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 05:23 PM   #2
jvincent

Drives: 2022 WRB BRZ Sport-Tech
Thanked 1,410 Times in 715 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
If you are worried, go ahead and change it just for the peace of mind.

As to what brand of oil, any good 0W20 will be fine.
jvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jvincent For This Useful Post:
humfrz (11-23-2015)
Old 11-22-2015, 07:38 PM   #3
BRZ'13

Drives: subaru
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Dont change the oil. Too early at 2600. Wouldnt hurt to but waste of $$. Eneos sustina 0w20 is very good if not the best. I planned on running the 5w30 but costs $100 for 5qts here. Motul costs me about $50. Im supercharged hence why i run w30
BRZ'13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 08:52 PM   #4
Ginger Academy

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Alright thanks for the responses. My main concern was the oil not lasting as long due to it sitting on the lot for so long cycling between hot and cold weather as well as a few short test drives. I will hold off until around 5k miles
Ginger Academy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:42 AM   #5
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,949 Times in 16,476 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Welcome to ...... The Forum, @Ginger Academy ........

Like @jvincent says.... it's not necessary, but change it if it makes you feel better.

Yep, I agree, any 0w20 full synthetic oil, will do just fine, for average driving in Indiana.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (11-23-2015)
Old 11-23-2015, 02:29 AM   #6
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,846 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Anyone else got any thoughts on OCI for Eneos 0w-20? I drive so few miles that I've been changing after 8-10 months, but with the most recent change it's been in there for an entire year.

I did my first change at 7 months and ~3k miles and second six months after that at ~7k miles. Third was done last November with ~9k.

I'm now at 13k and planning on changing it with Eneos Sustina 0w-20 on Thanksgiving coming up here in a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 03:08 AM   #7
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,597 Times in 18,971 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
Anyone else got any thoughts on OCI for Eneos 0w-20? I drive so few miles that I've been changing after 8-10 months, but with the most recent change it's been in there for an entire year.

I did my first change at 7 months and ~3k miles and second six months after that at ~7k miles. Third was done last November with ~9k.

I'm now at 13k and planning on changing it with Eneos Sustina 0w-20 on Thanksgiving coming up here in a few days.
UOA on what you're running now? Stick a hose down the dipstick tube and grab a sample with a vacuum pump. Cheap peace of mind.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:50 AM   #8
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Like others said change it if you want. FYI what ever is in there is still good oil doesn't go bad in months. It takes a few years of abuse.

As far as brand goes. Go with synthetic anything.

But. Here's the truth behind that rare special order brands like Enos, Motul, and Royal Purple. Say your just a bit out of town, a quart low and all the auto parts stores are closed? Your pretty much screwed cause you can't find it anywhere.

Now if you go with Mobil 1, Castrol, Penzoil or any of those other brands guess what? They are everywhere. So just a little something to think about.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (11-23-2015)
Old 11-23-2015, 11:29 AM   #9
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,846 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Strange comment. Not sure why you'd ever be driving around "a bit out of town" and suddenly be an entire quart low. Ideally you'd be checking your oil while the engine is cold and the car is on a flat level surface every 3-4 weeks or so and topping of as necessary. (This is what I have to do, thanks soft under 4k break-in!)

Even if you were a quart low, it's not going to cause some sort of negative chemical reaction if you top off with a typical off the shelf brand of synthetic oil, as long as you ensure it's the same weight as what you're currently using.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
But. Here's the truth behind that rare special order brands like Enos, Motul, and Royal Purple. Say your just a bit out of town, a quart low and all the auto parts stores are closed? Your pretty much screwed cause you can't find it anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clipdat For This Useful Post:
TheVoiceOfReason (11-23-2015), Ultramaroon (11-23-2015)
Old 11-23-2015, 01:11 PM   #10
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,597 Times in 18,971 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Strange comment. Not sure why you'd ever be driving around "a bit out of town" and suddenly be an entire quart low.
Yeah, but I get what he's saying. I have a case of Amsoil in the garage waiting for my next oil change. I've been exclusively using M-1 until now so I've wondered how I was going to feel if I needed to top it off with some off brand. Maybe it's a bit OCD but I'm not an oil expert.

Hell, I probably won't notice any difference and will just go back to the M-1.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:07 PM   #11
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Strange comment. Not sure why you'd ever be driving around "a bit out of town" and suddenly be an entire quart low. Ideally you'd be checking your oil while the engine is cold and the car is on a flat level surface every 3-4 weeks or so and topping of as necessary. (This is what I have to do, thanks soft under 4k break-in!)

Even if you were a quart low, it's not going to cause some sort of negative chemical reaction if you top off with a typical off the shelf brand of synthetic oil, as long as you ensure it's the same weight as what you're currently using.
Well a better example is this:
Say your out in vacation on a road trip 4-6 hour drive or a couple of days. Unless you pack a few quarts of your own oil, your kind of out of luck finding your special order oils.

It kind of doesn't matter what kind of oil you put in when your low, but that's kind of pointless spending more money for special order oil when you dump some other brand when it's low.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:43 PM   #12
pantdino

Drives: Firestorm 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Academy View Post
I have a few quick questions and concerns, sorry if they are obvious but I would rather be safe than sorry. I purchased my FRS a few months ago and was able to get a killer deal due to it being on the lot for a vast amount of time. (175+ days) I was looking at some of the other threads to decide on what oil I was going to run. For reference I will not let any Toyota dealerships work on my car unless its a recall due to experiences with my Tacoma. I got to thinking about when I should change it due to it sitting for a long period of time on the lot. I have now had it for under 3 months and the odo is at 2600 miles. Do I need to change the oil now? Will it hurt to wait? I know changing the oil wont be bad, but should I worry about how broken down it is from sitting for so long and then putting that many miles on it. Sorry if I sound stupid, I was just super curious because when most shops change oil its xxx miles or xxxx date til next change. My other question revolves arout what brand will be safe to use for Indiana Weather. I am originally from NW IN but am currently living in southern Indiana. I have seen nothing but good reviews on the eneos sustina 0w20 and that was what I was probably going to go with, but just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to be to thin for where i drive at. I read somewhere that eneos was the thinnest of the 0w20 where as redline was one of the heaviest if that makes any sense. Sorry for story!
I believe you have to change the oil every 7500 miles or 7.5 mos using 0W-20 to maintain the warranty. There is no point in using expensive oils with that frequency of changes, and all oils of that weight are synthetic.

Oil does not go bad just sitting there but I'd probably change at 5000