follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 07-09-2015, 08:17 PM   #393
erok81

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Nice to see you couldn't get it to fit as is either.

I like that way better since it'll have some air flow. Instead of just being tucked behind the fog.
erok81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:23 AM   #394
yomny

Drives: 2013 FRS Whiteout
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
So those who have a bov in the pass side of the intercooler can't really move it over.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:07 AM   #395
Rybot

Drives: Subaru BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
@JDLAutoDesign, thanks a million! That does seem better than strapping it behind the fog location.

By air guides, do you mean ducting? I'm not sure that'll be necessary since it looks like it'll see a decent amount of airflow down there.

Does anyone have an idea what amount of airflow is required to make a cooler effective? Since the cooler is at an angle and not parallel to airflow, it's not an ideal situation.
Rybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:08 AM   #396
Rybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by yomny View Post
So those who have a bov in the pass side of the intercooler can't really move it over.
I assume that's why they moved the BOV to the driver's side IC.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:36 AM   #397
yomny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rybot View Post
Lol jokes on me then, well I don't have a fog lamp anyways. Just wondering for those who did
Old 07-10-2015, 11:19 AM   #398
xxscaxx

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Actually they were always meant to be on the drivers side, and have been on the driver side for a while.
xxscaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 11:55 AM   #399
erok81

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
I doubt that has anything to do with it. The oil cooler in its frs spot is miles away from the ic and wouldn't interfere with the bov. They didn't know how it was going to work on a brz prior to that blue one showing up (and now not fitting with the pass side bov). So the original oil cooler will work with either location I'd assume.

I have no idea why they moved it. From what I know about building turbo kits, it needs to be closer to the throttle plate. Moving it to the driver side is the total opposite from what I've always learned.
erok81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 12:33 PM   #400
Lee@JDLAutoDesign

Drives: Corrado
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erok81 View Post
I have no idea why they moved it. From what I know about building turbo kits, it needs to be closer to the throttle plate. Moving it to the driver side is the total opposite from what I've always learned.
Honestly, from a practical standpoint I don't think it makes any sort of difference where the valve is located... BUT, in my mind, the valve is there to benefit the compressor wheel, so closer to the turbocharger is going to be the best place to put it.
Lee@JDLAutoDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 12:43 PM   #401
Lee@JDLAutoDesign

Drives: Corrado
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Does anyone have an idea what amount of airflow is required to make a cooler effective? Since the cooler is at an angle and not parallel to airflow, it's not an ideal situation.
In the absence of ducting, you would be correct, the cooling flow rate through an angled core would be reduced, and the performance would suffer. With ducting the frontal area of the duct opening and the car's speed would set the flow rate through the core, angled or not.

Many years ago I built an analytical model of heat exchanger cores for intercooler optimization. Maybe I can dust it off and see what it would say for oil cooling...
Lee@JDLAutoDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 12:43 PM   #402
Rybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee@JDLAutoDesign View Post
Honestly, from a practical standpoint I don't think it makes any sort of difference where the valve is located... BUT, in my mind, the valve is there to benefit the compressor wheel, so closer to the turbocharger is going to be the best place to put it.
All I can see it affecting is the longevity of the valve since it's now venting the hotter, compressed air rather than the cooler post-IC air. Though I don't think post comp AT is hot enough to cause damage to the BOV and considering there's plenty of airflow down there to keep the BOV cool.

Still, it's awesome to see you'll have a kit for the BRZ, assuming it's a viable solution. Keep us posted!
Old 07-10-2015, 02:48 PM   #403
nelsmar

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 345 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
All I can see it affecting is the longevity of the valve since it's now venting the hotter, compressed air rather than the cooler post-IC air. Though I don't think post comp AT is hot enough to cause damage to the BOV and considering there's plenty of airflow down there to keep the BOV cool.

Still, it's awesome to see you'll have a kit for the BRZ, assuming it's a viable solution. Keep us posted!
This isn't something even I am concerned with and im always complaining about efficiencies of cooling. afaik my car was the first to put the BOV on the driver side... No problems so far after thousands of very abusive miles and hundreds of heavy load pulls.
Old Setup: Vortech Supercharged 360WHP/262WTQ @ 11.5psi
My build thread - WTF happened to nelsmar's car thread
nelsmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:45 AM   #404
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsmar View Post
This isn't something even I am concerned with and im always complaining about efficiencies of cooling. afaik my car was the first to put the BOV on the driver side... No problems so far after thousands of very abusive miles and hundreds of heavy load pulls.
Always an innovator. I don't think it matters where it is as long as it works. The concern over the oil cooler should be that air is bypassing the intercooler and the radiator to get to that oil cooler and where does it go from there? You need to vent the plastic wheel liner behind the oil cooler to allow it to escape. I would still prefer to take air from the fog light area for the oil cooler and keep the air from the central bumper area guided into the intercooler and more importantly the radiator.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:51 AM   #405
yomny

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxscaxx View Post
The only thing is the lines provided from JDL are slightly oversized for the outlets...they provide those squeeze clamps which is fine for the front line, but theres no good way to tighten that thing in the back while using the proper tool (unless they make smaller ones, the one I had I couldn't fit back there). I used a fuel injection clamp in the back that I could tighten down with a ratchet. I was also lazy and didn't want to drain all the coolant out so if you don't be prepared as when you pull that back line off it will start throwing coolant out rather quickly lol. The front you don't have to really worry about, not too much comes out.
Throwing coolant out is an understatement. I went in cautious thanks to your warning and still got the damn blue thing everywhere . Should come out nicely though, running everything along the chassis under the turbo. Any tips on refilling the coolant and burping the frs I've done it in other cars but they all have their little secrets.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:57 AM   #406
xxscaxx

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Throwing coolant out is an understatement. I went in cautious thanks to your warning and still got the damn blue thing everywhere . Should come out nicely though, running everything along the chassis under the turbo. Any tips on refilling the coolant and burping the frs I've done it in other cars but they all have their little secrets.
yeah its like a volcano erupting when you pull that line off.

Honestly I just slowly fill it, and then when it gets to the top of the rad i squeeze the top hose to get air out of the lines, and keep refilling until I can't burp it anymore. Then just top off the overflow tank.
xxscaxx is offline   Reply With Quote