follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 02-27-2015, 06:39 AM   #183
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZnut View Post
plus, it has been said time and time again that those posting issues here reflect a small percentage of all the twins out there. But you can't know that for sure..that's assuming everyone with an issue has posted here. There could be thousands that don't bother with car forums who are having issues. Only Subaru/Toyota know the true numbers.
This is true and it could also be the inverse that is correct and every single one that has had a major issue has posted here. We don't know how many but even going by the forum population it appears to be way under 1%. If there truly is a huge number of people then Toyota and Subaru will make a statement. Contrary to popular belief it is nota good business practice for them to hide it and they know that.
I am very much a show me the facts and data guy and at this point I don't think there is enough accurate data to support that there is a massive issue.
Yes, some guys are having problems and I feel for them but that does not automatically mean everybody is going too.
I get that you are worried and even I pay closer attention to my engine noises then normal but if you keep getting worked up then you are going to start to hate the car (I think you already are headed down that path) and make matters even worse in your own head.
Maybe it is time you traded before what you feel the inevitable failure occurs. (not said with malice)
ajc209 (03-02-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 07:42 AM   #184
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Yes, was planning on keeping the BRZ for at least 100K miles (which takes me ~12 years to reach with my driving habits) but will likely trade it in around 30K and move on. Unless there is something issued by Subaru/Toyota that they are going to stand by these cars and issue an extended warrantee, and stop trying to get our of warrantee work.

I change my own oil and do my own general maintenance, so that's my concern if I ever have to bring it in for an issue
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BRZnut For This Useful Post:
RobertPaulson (02-27-2015), strat61caster (02-27-2015), Tcoat (02-27-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 07:55 AM   #185
redlne

Drives: BRZ, FD3S, Holden Calibra Turbo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Get a rotary. Much more reliable. Haven't had any trouble with my FD that gets trashed regularly and gets oil changed when the oil level light comes on.
redlne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redlne For This Useful Post:
themadscientist (02-28-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 08:16 AM   #186
Thorpedo
The SquadWhisperer

Drives: '13 Ultramarine FR-S (STX)
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
I think we can all agree (at least most of us) that there is a fatal flaw in the design of this engine. Time for someone who had this happen to them to start a class action lawsuit! (just like owners did when Toyota engines were failing a few years ago and the dealers kept blaming the owners. Ended up the engine design was at fault)
Nope. REDICULOUS reasoning. By your standard, every engine in existence would have had "fatal flaws".

There are 70000 members to this site, and usually 700 online at any given time. You think you've painted an accurate picture about failure rates due to a handful of threads on a site with well over 70000 of them. Come on man.

You're a catastrophizing automotive-hypochondriac. :b onk::bon k:

Powered by Great North Performance, Jani-King Canada, and OK Tire.
Thorpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Thorpedo For This Useful Post:
ajc209 (03-02-2015), Hoahao (02-28-2015), Tcoat (02-27-2015), tyrantcf (02-27-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 12:37 PM   #187
RobertPaulson
Hisnamewasrobertpaulson

Drives: 2017 Golf R
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yes, was planning on keeping the BRZ for at least 100K miles (which takes me ~12 years to reach with my driving habits) but will likely trade it in around 30K and move on. Unless there is something issued by Subaru/Toyota that they are going to stand by these cars and issue an extended warrantee, and stop trying to get our of warrantee work.

I change my own oil and do my own general maintenance, so that's my concern if I ever have to bring it in for an issue
i think you're jumping the gun a bit because this isn't a huge widespread issue, so far its a rare occurance.

However as someone who has done all his own maintenance and the car has only visited the dealer once (the day i bought it before it got off the truck) i can certainly echo your concerns over having to fight to get his car fixed should it happen.
Tcoat (02-27-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 02:26 PM   #188
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Paranoia abound.

There's no such thing as a perfect engine. Considering how hard many of these engines are out there, and also ow many are used hard, freaking out because a few have had failures is a massive overreaction. Think there's no other engine design on the planet that hasn't also had some rash if issues on a small scale? You're kidding yourself. Going solely by the number of users here, and the number of failures, I would chalk it up to a very rare occurence, freak factory defect, who knows. Many other performance engines have had problems, but people still love them. If you're more worried about worrying, then sell everything and go live in a padded room. Otherwise, just enjoy the car and maintain it well. there's a 99%+ whatever chance you'll be perfectly fine.

And the powertrain warranty is 5yr/60k.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wheelhaus For This Useful Post:
Rampage (03-01-2015), strat61caster (02-27-2015), Tcoat (02-27-2015), tyrantcf (02-27-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 02:48 PM   #189
Tank
Mumbler

Drives: Sensibly
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhaus View Post
Paranoia abound.

There's no such thing as a perfect engine. Considering how hard many of these engines are out there, and also ow many are used hard, freaking out because a few have had failures is a massive overreaction. Think there's no other engine design on the planet that hasn't also had some rash if issues on a small scale? You're kidding yourself. Going solely by the number of users here, and the number of failures, I would chalk it up to a very rare occurence, freak factory defect, who knows. Many other performance engines have had problems, but people still love them. If you're more worried about worrying, then sell everything and go live in a padded room. Otherwise, just enjoy the car and maintain it well. there's a 99%+ whatever chance you'll be perfectly fine.

Being a rare occurrence is acceptable. The manufacturer not honoring the warranty in the rare event that it does happen is not.
Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tank For This Useful Post:
marky (02-27-2015), strat61caster (02-27-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 03:04 PM   #190
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank View Post
Being a rare occurrence is acceptable. The manufacturer not honoring the warranty in the rare event that it does happen is not.
To the best of my knowledge there are 3 cases where the warranty was not honoured on unmodded cars (for the bearing issue). This again is not a rampant problem unless there are a pile of instances that have not been mentioned.
Even those that have been mentioned only include one side of the story and even if we believe the person that does not mean we have all the facts to create an informed decision.
Keep up on your services and maintain good records and proof of work done yourself and they have very little grounds to deny your warranty work.
Again there may be the rare exception to this though.
marky (02-27-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 04:27 PM   #191
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank View Post
I agree completely, but with any car you will find stories of faithful owners who were denied a warranty claim for (fill in the blank) and suddenly the world is on fire and the brand is a ticking time bomb made of untrustworthy garbage. Being upset about a seemingly legit claim being denied is acceptable, especially when it's such a big ticket item, but let's put the pitchforks and tin hats away.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wheelhaus For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-27-2015), tyrantcf (02-27-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 11:42 PM   #192
Decay107
Turning is for Nerds

Drives: 35 characters is not enough
Thanked 1,259 Times in 717 Posts
Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I don't believe this has been covered but did everyone reporting the failure have oil changed by the dealer? Perhaps there has been a recent change in the dealer bulk fill oil as a cost reduction measure.
Decay107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:02 AM   #193
BRZnut

I appreciate all the optimism, but I think we are seeing the tip of the iceberg. Lets see how it goes as we all get more miles on our twins. Hope you guys are right though that these failures are all just rare events!

Last edited by BRZnut; 02-28-2015 at 08:24 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to BRZnut For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-28-2015)
Old 03-01-2015, 04:48 AM   #194
Hector

Drives: Toyota GT86 Satin-White-Pearl
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
At first!
The number of unreported cases is always higher than what we see here.
In my opinion that engine is very good by design, but when it comes to its single components, it has very serious built problems from the place of construction.
As long as Subayota is not speaking clearly about that production issues they will loose.
I am pretty sure that MY2015 cars will be overall better.
Just assuming they learned from their production changes in 2013 and 2014.
Before anyone asks why i'm posting here.
Do I have problems like reported here?
Yes! Multiple ones.
Hector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:28 AM   #195
BRZnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector View Post
At first!
The number of unreported cases is always higher than what we see here.
In my opinion that engine is very good by design, but when it comes to its single components, it has very serious built problems from the place of construction.
As long as Subayota is not speaking clearly about that production issues they will loose.
I am pretty sure that MY2015 cars will be overall better.
Just assuming they learned from their production changes in 2013 and 2014.
Before anyone asks why i'm posting here.
Do I have problems like reported here?
Yes! Multiple ones.

Like what type of problems?? And, not sure we can say that there have been production changes to fix all the issues.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:17 PM   #196
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhaus View Post
Paranoia abound.

Agreed. Look at much of the demographics that buy these cars. Many of these cars are driven VERY hard. Based on that even new Honda engines fail. Just go read their forums.

Still Toyota and Subaru should not be denying claims unless they can prove abuse or neglect.
marky (03-02-2015), Tcoat (03-01-2015), wheelhaus (03-03-2015)