follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 05-10-2012, 09:05 PM   #15
Sccabrz192
Detroit Region, MI

Drives: 13 BRZ, 13 Volt, 02 WRX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I was speaking strictly of stock class, there are different committees for the different class structures. Though it seems to be a foregone conclusion the car will be stx with the new st structure. Stock is a little more difficult to class.

Regardless, i assume your petition was for stx?
Sccabrz192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:10 PM   #16
Scooby South
Conedancer

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ SWP
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sccabrz192 View Post
I was speaking strictly of stock class, there are different committees for the different class structures. Though it seems to be a foregone conclusion the car will be stx with the new st structure. Stock is a little more difficult to class.

Regardless, i assume your petition was for stx?
I know... just giving ya something to think about.. and it is...STX...makes the most sense...even used a RX8 as comparison
Scooby South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #17
NYC BRZ
AutoX Addict

Drives: 08 Pontiac G8 GT,13 GBS BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Has anyone found a stock class eligible, lightweight, aftermarket wheel with the proper offset? No one seems to make one in 17x7 5x100 15-17lbs. Everything I'm seeing is at minimum 17x7.5 which is illegal. Stock wheels are roughly 20lbs, not bad but definitely could be better. Any suggestions?
2013 BRZ Limited- GBS - 6MT -VIN #0937
~~NYR SCCA # 18 C Street R (CSR)~~
"But there’s no mistaking the noise. This car is loud, and not in a particularly nice way. There’s no crisp exhaust note, no induction wheezing. It’s just the sound of petrol exploding in a metal box." - Jeremy Clarkson
NYC BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:58 PM   #18
Scooby South
Conedancer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC BRZ View Post
Has anyone found a stock class eligible, lightweight, aftermarket wheel with the proper offset? No one seems to make one in 17x7 5x100 15-17lbs. Everything I'm seeing is at minimum 17x7.5 which is illegal. Stock wheels are roughly 20lbs, not bad but definitely could be better. Any suggestions?
lots of them.... stock offset 48...you are allowed plus or minus or a 1/4in..which is about 5mm according to stock rules... particular Brands are Enkei and Kosei.... 17x7... 48 all day...

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/resul...All&sort=Brand

Bill
Old 05-15-2012, 09:09 PM   #19
EMguy

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby South View Post
lots of them.... stock offset 48...you are allowed plus or minus or a 1/4in..which is about 5mm according to stock rules... particular Brands are Enkei and Kosei.... 17x7... 48 all day...

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/resul...All&sort=Brand

Bill
All Day?? I see one wheel on that page that is stock class legal and light weight (<17 lbs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC BRZ View Post

I've been looking too, and you're right, there are surprisingly few options. I would REALLY like an RPF1. Enkei makes a 17x7 in the proper offset, but its 4x100. And no, they can't just drill blanks to 5x100. That would require a large batch...

The stock class rules allow +/- 0.25 in (6.35mm) in offset. So any offset between 42 and 54 is legal. Spacers can be used to acheive maximum offset allowance. Given the relatively tight inboard clearance to the front strut and the fact that you'll want to stuff as much tire as possible in there, I'm thinking that shooting for a 42-43mm offset is probably a good idea.

There are a couple options that I've found:

-Kosei K4R (on the TireRack link above): Cheap and light. 14 lbs. 50mm offset (with a 5mm spacer?)

-Buddy Club P1 Racing SF: Still on the cheap side, but not as light (maybe 17.4 lbs?)

-Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2: These won't be in stock anywhere in the right size, but TD will custom make individual orders to your specs with a 6-8 week lead time. They're reasonable priced, and 17.3 lbs.

Hope that helps!
EMguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:05 PM   #20
Scooby South
Conedancer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMguy View Post
Quote:
All Day?? I see one wheel on that page that is stock class legal and light weight (<17 lbs)
I've been looking too, and you're right, there are surprisingly few options. I would REALLY like an RPF1. Enkei makes a 17x7 in the proper offset, but its 4x100. And no, they can't just drill blanks to 5x100. That would require a large batch...

The stock class rules allow +/- 0.25 in (6.35mm) in offset. So any offset between 42 and 54 is legal. Spacers can be used to acheive maximum offset allowance. Given the relatively tight inboard clearance to the front strut and the fact that you'll want to stuff as much tire as possible in there, I'm thinking that shooting for a 42-43mm offset is probably a good idea.

There are a couple options that I've found:

-Kosei K4R (on the TireRack link above): Cheap and light. 14 lbs. 50mm offset (with a 5mm spacer?)

-Buddy Club P1 Racing SF: Still on the cheap side, but not as light (maybe 17.4 lbs?)

-Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2: These won't be in stock anywhere in the right size, but TD will custom make individual orders to your specs with a 6-8 week lead time. They're reasonable priced, and 17.3 lbs.

Hope that helps!
wow...Dude...

maybe not under 17lbs unless your wanting to spend some serious Coin..the Kosei are 50 offset...I would say that is about perfect...why would you want to put a spacer on it??? even with a 5mm spacer you sitting at 45 offset...well within the Stock Tolerance...

There is plenty of wheels 17x7 in a 48 that go way lighter depending on how much coin you want to throw at it... Volk, SSR, Work, 949 racing, CCW, FISKE, OZ, SPARCO,...Hell you can get RPF-1's in a 17x7...or...god forbid...Rota's... they all have options with-in the spectrum of what you can use for stock class... He asked for options...I merely was giving them

Bill
Old 05-15-2012, 10:39 PM   #21
EMguy

Quote:
wow...Dude...

maybe not under 17lbs unless your wanting to spend some serious Coin..the Kosei are 50 offset...I would say that is about perfect...why would you want to put a spacer on it??? even with a 5mm spacer you sitting at 45 offset...well within the Stock Tolerance...

There is plenty of wheels 17x7 in a 48 that go way lighter depending on how much coin you want to throw at it... Volk, SSR, Work, 949 racing, CCW, FISKE, OZ, SPARCO,...Hell you can get RPF-1's in a 17x7...or...god forbid...Rota's... they all have options with-in the spectrum of what you can use for stock class... He asked for options...I merely was giving them

Bill
I think you misread my tone Bill.

The reason a spacer may be needed on the Kosei rims is because the inboard clearance between the wheel/tire and the strut is relatively tight. I was suggesting that maximizing the offset allowance, as opposed to moving further inboard with a 50 mm offset, would allow for bigger tires.

I see a lots of brand names in your post, but I'd be really interested to see a specific wheel from any of the companies you've listed. I'm genuinely curious.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:45 PM   #22
Sccabrz192
Detroit Region, MI

Garage
Enkei, Oz, and sparco (made by oz) dont sell 17x7 with 5x100 currently they are all 17x7.5 or 8 with 5x100. When i have the car and am ready to get started with the prep ill give enkei a call and see if they plan on adding it, we'll see. ive been going through catalogs and growing more and more disappointed in the lack of stock legal options. For a set of ccws you are going to drop over 2k dollars. Im not keen on racing on koseis or rotas. Ill probably end up with a set of team dynamics pro race 1.2s unless oz or enkei confirm addition of 17x7 with 5x100.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:53 PM   #23
EMguy

Quote:
Enkei, Oz, and sparco (made by oz) dont sell 17x7 with 5x100 currently they are all 17x7.5 or 8 with 5x100. When i have the car and am ready to get started with the prep ill give enkei a call and see if they plan on adding it, we'll see. ive been going through catalogs and growing more and more disappointed in the lack of stock legal options. For a set of ccws you are going to drop over 2k dollars. Im not keen on racing on koseis or rotas. Ill probably end up with a set of team dynamics pro race 1.2s unless oz or enkei confirm addition of 17x7 with 5x100.
When I talked to Enkei a few weeks back, they didn't really seem too keen on adding anything in stock sizes. I thought it would be relatively easy for them to drill their 17x7 in 5x100 but I was wrong. I guess the openings are cast, which is probably a good thing to know.

The guy I talked to said they could do large batches, but it would require prepayment and an extended lead time.

If you go with the Team Dynamics, be sure and call Paul at Team Illuminata.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:59 PM   #24
Scooby South
Conedancer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMguy View Post
I think you misread my tone Bill.

The reason a spacer may be needed on the Kosei rims is because the inboard clearance between the wheel/tire and the strut is relatively tight. I was suggesting that maximizing the offset allowance, as opposed to moving further inboard with a 50 mm offset, would allow for bigger tires.

I see a lots of brand names in your post, but I'd be really interested to see a specific wheel from any of the companies you've listed. I'm genuinely curious.
Maybe I did...sorry..I had just got done arguing with my wife over something stupid...ended up we were both right......Kinda like this thread..... CCW, Fiske will custom make whatever you want...949 Racing should have a Subaru Specific Wheel as well..... seriously sorry..wasn't trying to butt heads...esp. since my wife had already pissed me off...BTW ...Her and I are good now...

Quote:
Nothing wrong with Rota's...or the Kosei's...I know people that run both and have had great success....I, myself will be running the DPT's on the BRZ..and have no worries what-so-ever...Many National level folks run Rota's ...Karen K, McCance Just to name a couple... I guess a better question is: If your just going to Race on them, then Why not???

Bill
Old 05-15-2012, 11:01 PM   #25
Sccabrz192
Detroit Region, MI

Garage
Yup, that was the plan

Yea, Maybe we could set up a GB at some point for stock class legal rpf01s if there is enough interest from the stock class community... I see it as a tough sell though., most non-stock class autocrossers arent going to want a 17x7 aftermarket race wheel.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:10 PM   #26
Sccabrz192
Detroit Region, MI

Garage
Quote:
Maybe I did...sorry..I had just got done arguing with my wife over something stupid...ended up we were both right......Kinda like this thread..... CCW, Fiske will custom make whatever you want...949 Racing should have a Subaru Specific Wheel as well..... seriously sorry..wasn't trying to butt heads...esp. since my wife had already pissed me off...BTW ...Her and I are good now...

Nothing wrong with Rota's...or the Kosei's...I know people that run both and have had great success....I, myself will be running the DPT's on the BRZ..and have no worries what-so-ever...Many National level folks run Rota's ...Karen K, McCance Just to name a couple... I guess a better question is: If your just going to Race on them, then Why not???

Bill
Fair point, I was unaware greg ran rotas, was that when it was in STX? I thought he had a set of enkeis And a set of volks, though i guess those could have been the rota volk knockoffs.

Im gunshy with the bargain brand wheels when racing... Ive seen a mini flip on completely level concrete due to a wheel failure and cracked spokes which if driven on much longer would have competely separated from the hub, id rather just have a comfort level with what im running on. The probability is probably no less or no mor with an enkei or a td wheel, but its more just a mental thing.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:21 PM   #27
Scooby South
Conedancer

Garage
I understand the hesitation... Tom Hoppe ran Rota's back when in DS. Keith Casey Ran Rota's on his STX drive. Even SuperMan, Mike King has had Rota's on his ride way back when..I not saying they are the end all , beat all....all wheels are subject to failure...I have seen a custom CCW blow out..its not common...but it does happen. ... Hope we all can learn together and share the info is going to be key to the success of this thing..

Bill
Old 05-15-2012, 11:57 PM   #28
NYC BRZ
AutoX Addict

Drives: 08 Pontiac G8 GT,13 GBS BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for all the info guys. I saw the Kosei K4Rs but I wasn't too keen on running spacers. I've heard of Team Dynamics but haven't seem many by me (granted I've only been racing a couple years.). I'll check them out.
2013 BRZ Limited- GBS - 6MT -VIN #0937
~~NYR SCCA # 18 C Street R (CSR)~~
"But there’s no mistaking the noise. This car is loud, and not in a particularly nice way. There’s no crisp exhaust note, no induction wheezing. It’s just the sound of petrol exploding in a metal box." - Jeremy Clarkson
NYC BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote