follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-09-2015, 01:38 PM   #337
TOMIMOTO

Drives: MY00 Impreza 2.5RS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I didn't read through everything, but I was gun-ho cash in hand ready to buy a BRZ/FRS back when it was just an idea.

When it came out, it just never was what I was looking for. If thy made a true BRZ STI with a turbo/more power and put it in the $34-40k range, one would be in my garage right now.

I already have a slow car that handles better than a BRZ/FRS. I don't need another slow fun car.
TOMIMOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:00 PM   #338
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMIMOTO View Post
I didn't read through everything, but I was gun-ho cash in hand ready to buy a BRZ/FRS back when it was just an idea.

When it came out, it just never was what I was looking for. If thy made a true BRZ STI with a turbo/more power and put it in the $34-40k range, one would be in my garage right now.

I already have a slow car that handles better than a BRZ/FRS. I don't need another slow fun car.
But for every person in your position there are probably two that did buy that would not have with more power and a higher price tag.
Even if it is a one to one ratio then the number of sales would not be impacted.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:25 PM   #339
LucidMomentum
No Money, No Problems

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S (Halo White)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
But for every person in your position there are probably two that did buy that would not have with more power and a higher price tag.
Even if it is a one to one ratio then the number of sales would not be impacted.
Also you can easily make one with more power for 34-40k. It just takes some work.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:28 PM   #340
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidMomentum View Post
Also you can easily make one with more power for 34-40k. It just takes some work.
Yep, this was Toyota's plan and statement all along!
Old 02-09-2015, 02:47 PM   #341
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,482 Times in 5,000 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Interesting, I thought all Impreza's had nearly terminal understeer, even a tuned up 2.5RS struggled to exceed 0.8 g on the skidpad back in the day, sure an improvement today with better tires but unlikely to be massive unless you go to non-street tires...

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...o-specs-page-4
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 04:26 PM   #342
NOHOME

Drives: RAVEN
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

Without being rude...please clarify...

Why are you even here with 251 post when you don't like the car?

Last edited by NOHOME; 02-09-2015 at 04:57 PM.
NOHOME is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NOHOME For This Useful Post:
Mr.Impreza (02-09-2015)
Old 02-09-2015, 04:28 PM   #343
Quentin

Drives: ‘16 4Runner, ‘19 Corolla HB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

I'd be one that wouldn't be in a twin at that price regardless of power. At $25k, I tolerate stuffing my kid in the back when it is just the two of us. At $40k, I'm looking at 328i, IS350, etc. I can't justify the impracticable nature of the car at that high of price tag when there are so many quality sedans in that range. Heck, that is used V8 M3 money. More realistically, I'd find myself in a GTI or WRX.

(To the person that would say that the twins would still be offered in base FA20, until Subaru gets more capacity, the twins are supply constrained with the hot selling Forester, WRX, and XV coming down the same line.)
Quentin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Quentin For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-09-2015)
Old 02-09-2015, 04:33 PM   #344
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
I'll be that guy.

If you bought a twin because you needed something to take your kid around in. You bought the wrong car period.
If you are a soccer dad, be a soccer dad. Don't turn your nose up at a sports car because you can't fit your kid in it.

You are absolutely right. People looking to spend 50k on a car, probably didn't cross shop with a 25-30k car. Definitely not for a family car.

The ONLY reason the twins have a back seat is for insurance purposes. Because of the target market, insurance costs needed to be low.

However; people shopping for a sports car. Did cross shop the twin with many other sports car. Potentially ones that were beyond the 50k price tag.

Those guys wanted a track car, a weekend toy. Granted a twin doesn't have the performance #s of those more expensive cars, but the driving feel is there w/o the 50K+ price tag.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tahdizzle For This Useful Post:
NOHOME (02-09-2015), Tcoat (02-09-2015)
Old 02-09-2015, 04:49 PM   #345
Xinshadow

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I'd be one that wouldn't be in a twin at that price regardless of power. At $25k, I tolerate stuffing my kid in the back when it is just the two of us. At $40k, I'm looking at 328i, IS350, etc. I can't justify the impracticable nature of the car at that high of price tag when there are so many quality sedans in that range. Heck, that is used V8 M3 money. More realistically, I'd find myself in a GTI or WRX.

(To the person that would say that the twins would still be offered in base FA20, until Subaru gets more capacity, the twins are supply constrained with the hot selling Forester, WRX, and XV coming down the same line.)
Same boat here. I bought my FRS 12/12 with the intention( like many of us I'm guessing) of DDing it for a couple years, then having it as a dedicated summer/track toy. We'll be shopping around for a WRX for the Mrs. come spring, and then I'll drive her old XRS in the winters and keep the FRS out of the snow.

The old adage is don't track your car if you can't afford to roll it off a cliff and walk away. Its a lot easier to justify spending 25k on a car with a three year loan, doing the bolt on stuff, paying it up and then really going wild on mods (built engine and supercharger for me!) than buying a 35-40k car on a five year loan and stuffing it while you're still two years deep in payments.
Current mods: OFT Stage 2 (w/93 oct), OFH, Perrin Resonated catback, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft, Perrin drop-in filter, Avo silicone inlet, Mishimoto catch can, Grimmspeed MCB, Perrin crank pulley, Nameless overpipe/downpipe combo, DBA slotted rotors, Ferrodo brake pads, goodrich SS brake lines, DOT5 synthetic brake fluid.
Xinshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xinshadow For This Useful Post:
Quentin (02-09-2015), Tcoat (02-09-2015)
Old 02-09-2015, 05:04 PM   #346
NOHOME

When people bitch about this car, they all come across as a bunch of bitchy spouses:

All they do is find stuff that the car does not do and complain. Never does it occur to look at what it does do well and be grateful.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:07 PM   #347
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOHOME View Post
When people bitch about this car, they all come across as a bunch of bitchy spouses:

All they do is find stuff that the car does not do and complain. Never does it occur to look at what it does do well and be grateful.
Oh sure they do!
It usually goes something like this tough: Love my car the handling is great and everybody looks at it BUT...
Or
Not complaining and guess ok BUT...
Old 02-09-2015, 05:09 PM   #348
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I am that guy.

I bought the FR-S because it is a sports car I could take to the track while still transporting the kids in our daily lives. I did cross shop with more expensive cars, including the 911 (though not a new one). I drove my kids 5 days a week in the FR-S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahdizzle View Post
I'll be that guy.

If you bought a twin because you needed something to take your kid around in. You bought the wrong car period.
If you are a soccer dad, be a soccer dad. Don't turn your nose up at a sports car because you can't fit your kid in it.

You are absolutely right. People looking to spend 50k on a car, probably didn't cross shop with a 25-30k car. Definitely not for a family car.

The ONLY reason the twins have a back seat is for insurance purposes. Because of the target market, insurance costs needed to be low.

However; people shopping for a sports car. Did cross shop the twin with many other sports car. Potentially ones that were beyond the 50k price tag.

Those guys wanted a track car, a weekend toy. Granted a twin doesn't have the performance #s of those more expensive cars, but the driving feel is there w/o the 50K+ price tag.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
tahdizzle (02-09-2015)
Old 02-09-2015, 05:18 PM   #349
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
I am that guy.

I bought the FR-S because it is a sports car I could take to the track while still transporting the kids in our daily lives. I did cross shop with more expensive cars, including the 911 (though not a new one). I drove my kids 5 days a week in the FR-S.
^^^^

This guy gets it.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:18 PM   #350
NOHOME

Quote:
Oh sure they do!
It usually goes something like this tough: Love my car the handling is great and everybody looks at it BUT...
Or
Not complaining and guess ok BUT...

It is so true and I am as guilty as the next person. The Twins are for some reason fated to be "damned with faint praise".

When people approach me to ask about the car, I have never blurted out "It is fucking Awesome"; for some reason it goes " I really enjoy it BUT" .

This car has been an interesting study in the psyche of the automotive enthusiast.

It was no fun this morning as you can imagine with the freezing rain covering the car.
The Following User Says Thank You to NOHOME For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-09-2015)