follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-04-2014, 10:44 AM   #57
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallsAndFoundations View Post
I can get the crank pulley set for 145.

What would you have used the money for instead man?
So far I have sunk close to $3000 into my car. None of them have been for a meaningful performance upgrade. Some bolt ons (pulley, cat back exhaust, intake), leather seat covers, lighting upgrades, wheels, rear diffuser, badges, gear shift nob, etc...

I love, love, love the way my car looks and sounds.

BUT

If I was starting from ground zero I would have not done a single one of those things and used all of that towards a supercharger or turbo installation.

Of course now FI market is a little more mature than 1.5 years ago when I bought my car.

So now I wont be spending anymore $$$$ on my car until I'm ready and able to go full forced induction.
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:47 AM   #58
WallsAndFoundations

Drives:
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post
So far I have sunk close to $3000 into my car. None of them have been for a meaningful performance upgrade. Some bolt ons (pulley, cat back exhaust, intake), leather seat covers, lighting upgrades, wheels, rear diffuser, badges, gear shift nob, etc...

I love, love, love the way my car looks and sounds.

BUT

If I was starting from ground zero I would have not done a single one of those things and used all of that towards a supercharger or turbo installation.

Of course now FI market is a little more mature than 1.5 years ago when I bought my car.

So now I wont be spending anymore $$$$ on my car until I'm ready and able to go full forced induction.
Gotcha man. To be fair though, all those mods you did are kinda paving the way for FI. You don't want a supercharger and stock exhaust, intake, and wheels. Nah man don't beat your build up, cause when you get your SC or TC your car will look the part.
WallsAndFoundations is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WallsAndFoundations For This Useful Post:
tennisfreak (08-04-2014)
Old 08-04-2014, 11:51 AM   #59
wu_dot_com

Drives: accord
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Performance View Post
Exactly, 1 or the other. Both is what goes boom.

On an AT you can feel the slight improvement in acceleration. Throttle response is snappier and the car gets off the line quicker. If you are uber nice to the throttle while cruising you can usually see a 1-2mpg increase as well.

On the MT it is not as noticeable. Same changes, just a smaller dose.
Wrong info.... Please do your fact check for this car. For this car at least, ran the Perrin lwcp plus ACT prolight flywheel (the lighter if the two offering) with no adverse effects to the engine bearing after 20k miles. Idel performance, is another issue, which could be taken care of with a ecu tune
wu_dot_com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:22 PM   #60
Infamous Performance

Drives: 02 WRX, 05 LGT, 08 LGT, 08 SpecB
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer486 View Post
Are you actually determining that using BSFC or guessing via butt dyno? If you have any respective info on the sweet spot of the FA20 feel free to share.

If it's using rubber it may not be a balancer but it is a damper. A balanced damper at that.

I presume all those motors were MT?
I determined it by logging hundreds if not thousands of miles. We have been able to increase cruising MPG on our in house test mule BRZ (forced induction with a Innovate S/C kit) to 35-36mpg. We have verified this on customer cars as well.

You cant use a LWFW on an AT car, so yes they were manuals.
Infamous Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:26 PM   #61
Infamous Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by wu_dot_com View Post
Wrong info.... Please do your fact check for this car. For this car at least, ran the Perrin lwcp plus ACT prolight flywheel (the lighter if the two offering) with no adverse effects to the engine bearing after 20k miles. Idel performance, is another issue, which could be taken care of with a ecu tune
I dont need to fact check. I rebuilt the motors.

Last one went 2000 miles (hard miles) and the bearings looked like they had 150+K on them. Visible bearing material in the oil. Showed it to the owner and he went back to a stock crank pulley with the rebuild.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:09 PM   #62
Boxer486
Banned

Drives: small
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
I determined it by logging hundreds if not thousands of miles. We have been able to increase cruising MPG on our in house test mule BRZ (forced induction with a Innovate S/C kit) to 35-36mpg. We have verified this on customer cars as well.

You cant use a LWFW on an AT car, so yes they were manuals.

Yeah, but what were you logging? Just MPG?? That wouldn't be conclusive over hundreds or a thousand miles given variables in weather, temperature and humidity. Was that the only variable you tested for or did you also make other mods to the car at the time? FI is another topic so I don't want to muddy up the LWCP thread bringing FI into it. Increasing MPG using a SC would be the complete inverse process compared to a LWCP so the two have nothing to do with each other.

So can you share what RPM is the sweet spot with a LWCP on the FA20 or no?

Right, ATs already have one called a flexplate.
Boxer486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:22 PM   #63
Infamous Performance

We did not add the S/C kit to increase MPG. Lol.

You dont need a LWCP to increase MPG. We can do it with just tuning.

We dont "log" MPG. We log lots of other data points. We estimate MPG by calculating amount of fuel added over several tanks compared to miles driven.

I will compare notes from our in house tests to notes gathered from customers verifying fuel efficiency for us (different cars have different set ups) and see if I can discern the best MT and AT. But, keep in mind the "sweet spot" is not something you can set the cruise to. It modulates based on load and throttle position. So, to stay in it the most often you need to have electronics plugged in to see data points so you can constantly modulate the left foot to stay in the sweet spot. That is why we have spent so many hours working on the tunes (with Delicious Tuning) to get the most MPG we can out of the standard tunes we offer customers.

Sorry to get off topic.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:08 PM   #64
DC2R

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
I dont need to fact check. I rebuilt the motors.

Last one went 2000 miles (hard miles) and the bearings looked like they had 150+K on them. Visible bearing material in the oil. Showed it to the owner and he went back to a stock crank pulley with the rebuild.
Just a light crank pulley did this?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
DC2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:12 PM   #65
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
But, keep in mind the "sweet spot" is not something you can set the cruise to. It modulates based on load and throttle position. So, to stay in it the most often you need to have electronics plugged in to see data points so you can constantly modulate the left foot to stay in the sweet spot. .
So what you just said is that you drove numerous cars for thousands of miles with these "electronics plugged in to see data points" all the time "constantly modulate the left foot to stay in the sweet spot" to get this MPG data based on a LWCP....

Or maybe you didnt really mean that....
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:33 PM   #66
Boxer486
Banned

Quote:
We dont "log" MPG...... We estimate MPG by calculating amount of fuel added over several tanks compared to miles driven.

That's the same thing. Whether you record it via ECU or pump reading using pencil and a calculator, it's a log.

Best way to verify fuel efficiency is to dyno the engine with the LWCP and then the stock one and compare BSFC. I say LWCP first due to increased efficiency in tribology from a warmed block which would skew claims in favor of an aftermarket part.

IF you are talking a tuned motor then all bets are off on the LWCP claim unless you can compare versus a tuned stock block as a baseline. You have to be able to prove the tune is not responsible for the change in MPG rather than the LWCP claim.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:00 AM   #67
tennisfreak

Garage
WTF are people getting stuck on MPG? This has nothing to do with this thread!!!!!!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to tennisfreak For This Useful Post:
Infamous Performance (08-05-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 12:26 PM   #68
Infamous Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by stugray View Post
So what you just said is that you drove numerous cars for thousands of miles with these "electronics plugged in to see data points" all the time "constantly modulate the left foot to stay in the sweet spot" to get this MPG data based on a LWCP....

Or maybe you didnt really mean that....
Yes. Its called OCD. I first realized the gains back in 2008 when "playing" with a 5EAT LGT. It became a "game" to see if the results could be replicated with other cars and how much the mpg gains could be.

So, it only seemed natural when we began working with the BRZ/FRS to see if the same results could be had.

Once again, it takes constantly watching load, rpm, fuel pump duty, idc, pulse, etc. to determine actual current and constant mpg. From there you have to constantly modulate the gas pedal (ever so slightly). My wife got more than annoyed having to make room for my laptop and mount sitting in the passenger seat for a 4000 mile road trip while I tried to "win" the game of highest attained mpg.

But same cars. Pre and post pulley. You can gain 1-2mpg. It is far easier to do with a tune.

Now, for most customers who are adding performance parts in the attempt to gain power, speed, handling do not ever see increased mpg. Why? because they bought the parts to use their right foot. Its the same thing as K&N's claims of increased MPG by using their filters and intakes. Can it be done? Sure. Do 99.97% of customers see any increased mpg? No. Because they like the sound the intake makes when they floor it. Lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to Infamous Performance For This Useful Post:
kavanagh (09-11-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 02:19 PM   #69
Boxer486
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post
WTF are people getting stuck on MPG? This has nothing to do with this thread!!!!!!!!!!

Huh? It has everything to do with whether the LWCP provides the increased efficiency the vendor claimed. Are we supposed to treat aftermarket parts like blessed holy water now and go on faith?
The Following User Says Thank You to Boxer486 For This Useful Post:
WallsAndFoundations (08-05-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 02:25 PM   #70
tennisfreak

Garage
@Boxer486 ok which vendor are you referring to? My vendor never claimed that so I never considered it.