follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 06-28-2014, 12:47 AM   #57
Chillracing

Drives: WR Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
Here is the update with new alignment. I was only able to run morning session and still managed second in class out of 10.

The car is better, but I am still not getting the rotation I want and, for autox I am starting to hate the AP brakes at these events but regardless thanks for tips. With some minor adjustments in driving I should be able to run consistently in top 10 overall and 1-3 in class for sure. Need to get somethings sorted then try some national events.

The car does seem like it's pushing some but a bit of that is caused by you. There's times where you're on the throttle and understeering and other times like the last corner that you're using way to much wheel and causing the understeer. You have to coordinate your hands and feet better and make the front end work for you. Right now you're entering corners without getting the weight to transfer to the front and creating understeer. Sometimes it's faster to dab the brake or lift abruptly and get the weight to shift than to try to power through the understeer. Watching the replay though I think even if you do that right your car will understeer. It just seems to have no front grip in those conditions. I'd try something drastic in one area at a time till you saw some sort of change. If trying camber didn't do it then try a sway bar either stiffer or softer but not a small amount and see if it changes anything. If your car is that far out of the ballpark sometimes it takes big changes to get close to the window that the car works in.
Chillracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:46 AM   #58
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
@Dezoris: Do you have data with wheel speed sensors and an accelerometer? I may be able to figure out a cause and possible solutions.
From aim?
Old 06-28-2014, 08:55 AM   #59
dp1
driving smoother faster

Drives: Sold
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Trail Braking and Rotation Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by kster1 View Post
I'm also on Ohlins with the standard spring rate and here my thoughts.

With the rest of the suspension stock, I installed the Ohins and went out to a track event. I felt the car was pushing way too much (the camber was something like -2.4F/-1.8R) and this was confirmed with a pyrometer. The front tires were working a lot harder than the rears. I'm sure my driving style plays a factor here but I much prefer the loose feeling of say the S2000 rather than this understeer.

At a temporary fix, I'm now running a rear sway bar from a ~2008 WRX and this helps rotation quite a bit. But my plan is to go back to the OEM rear sway bar and instead swap out the springs to something around 350F/425R (lbs/in).

I'm on Ohlins with standard spring rate but with previous setup was at close to 20mm drop from Ohlins specs and -3.4f/-2.7r camber on 235/40-17 toyo proxes ra1. This camber setup was recommended by @CSG Mike and worked very well on two tracks, with mild oversteer. I have a new car now with Ohlins set to their spec height with -3.0f/-2.5r camber and 1/16 toe in for rear. Will try it out at WGI in early July. Camber made a lot of difference.
dp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dp1 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (06-28-2014)
Old 06-28-2014, 12:05 PM   #60
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,181 Times in 6,837 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
From aim?