follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 08-14-2012, 04:23 PM   #1
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Traction light flashing under trail braking; TC and VSC are both off...

The light next to the shift light in the upper right of the tach flashes whenever I try to trail brake. The same light stayed on solid when our BRZ was on the dyno, and went off as soon as we started driving normal after the dyno session, so the light is definitely directly related to wheel speeds/wheel speed sensors.

I have both traction and stability control fully off. Does anyone know how to eliminate this? It's interfering with trail braking, and forces the car to understeer instead of rotating the car how I want it to.

Last edited by CSG Mike; 08-14-2012 at 04:59 PM.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:28 PM   #2
Mitch
form follows function

Drives: RIP '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I believe that's the electronic brake distribution. It's adjusting brake pressures at each corner to maximize how deep you can go before ABS kicks in. Great from a safety standpoint, but yes, can definitely mess with you on the track if you're not expecting it. Curious for an override as well.

Edit: looks like there's some noise for other Subarus about a combination of fuses you can pull to disable ABS and EBD (or just one and not the other).
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:33 PM   #3
des

Drives: FR-S
Hold down only the button closest to you until both warning lights are illuminated. The system is fully off.

My understanding is that you turn off each button individually you get some kind of competition mode and the behavior you describe.
des is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
Mitch
form follows function

Quote:
Originally Posted by des View Post
Hold down only the button closest to you until both warning lights are illuminated. The system is fully off.

My understanding is that you turn off each button individually you get some kind of competition mode and the behavior you describe.
EBD still steps in even with traction and stability control off. It only comes in when traction is lost under braking, hence why he get's it when trail braking.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:44 PM   #5
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:

He is already turning them off completely.

I'm guessing I'll experience this next monday.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:45 PM   #6
RiskyTrousers

Drives: '87 Corolla GTS, '13 FR-S 6MT
Does the Ecutek software have the ability to shut this off?
RiskyTrousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:50 PM   #7
des

Drives: FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
EBD still steps in even with traction and stability control off. It only comes in when traction is lost under braking, hence why he get's it when trail braking.
Ah, I misunderstood -- you're saying this is by design, rather than some kind of electronic malfunction or user error.

We've beat the snot out of the car and haven't encountered the flashing light in 100+ autocross runs and two track days.

But I may be doing it all wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.
des is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:55 PM   #8
Mitch
form follows function

Quote:
Ah, I misunderstood -- you're saying this is by design, rather than some kind of electronic malfunction or user error.

We've beat the snot out of the car and haven't encountered the flashing light in 100+ autocross runs and two track days.

But I may be doing it all wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.
I've only had it step in a couple of times, but I definitely had everything disabled. Maybe I'm losing my mind, but I've heard others talk about it too. I think it really is only certain situations. Depending on your driving style, it may not step in at all. Do you brake heavily while turning, or try to keep the car pointed straight while braking?
Old 08-14-2012, 04:58 PM   #9
CSG Mike

Mitch: Great info! Is there any technical literature available on this?

Des: I've run into the light during both track days. I'm currently running 215/45/17 Star Specs, but I also saw it when I did a few laps on the stock tires. At this point, I can make the light come on at will.

Additional info: I'm using staggered pads. Carbotech XP10 front and XP8 rear. Judging from how the paint on the front pads has burned off, and the rears are barely discoloring, the rears are not being used enough, and we are going to swap the rears up to XP10.

The light only kick in if I'm trail braking aggressively. If I trail brake in a manner that utilizies less than 100% of the front tire grip (even 95%), the light will not flash, and I don't get funky understeer when the rear should be coming out. The understeer is bad enough when the light is flashing that I was getting faster lap times by holding back a bit for the turns where trail braking is normally faster.

I've also seen the light blinking at SoWS going CW down a very bumpy chicane that requires trail braking (stock tires)
Old 08-14-2012, 05:05 PM   #10
Mitch
form follows function

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Mitch: Great info! Is there any technical literature available on this?

Des: I've run into the light during both track days. I'm currently running 215/45/17 Star Specs, but I also saw it when I did a few laps on the stock tires. At this point, I can make the light come on at will.

Additional info: I'm using staggered pads. Carbotech XP10 front and XP8 rear. Judging from how the paint on the front pads has burned off, and the rears are barely discoloring, the rears are not being used enough, and we are going to swap the rears up to XP10.

The light only kick in if I'm trail braking aggressively. If I trail brake in a manner that utilizies less than 100% of the front tire grip (even 95%), the light will not flash, and I don't get funky understeer when the rear should be coming out. The understeer is bad enough when the light is flashing that I was getting faster lap times by holding back a bit for the turns where trail braking is normally faster.

I've also seen the light blinking at SoWS going CW down a very bumpy chicane that requires trail braking (stock tires)
Subaru's description of the system on their main website:
Quote:
Smart Braking Systems BRZ's Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) prevents wheel lock-up and helps maintain driver control. Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) balances braking, while Brake Assist can sense a panic-stop situation and apply full braking force to help stop faster.
Quote:
Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) optimizes the distribution of braking force between the front and rear wheels according to how the vehicle is loaded with passengers and cargo. And the Brake Assist system helps ensure maximum pressure is applied to the brakes as quickly as possible in an emergency situation.
That's all I have. I'll let you know if I find anything else.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:11 PM   #11
CSG Mike

Hmmmm I may have to buy a service manual to figure out which fuse(s) to pull to disable this...

Gonna stop by a dealer today to see if they're even available yet.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:12 PM   #12
Sam Strano

Drives: 2013 FR-S Asphalt
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
The light flashes when ABS is active. Most cars do this. My Z06 actually says "ABS ACTIVE" on the dash. My Z28 would flash the "Low Trac" light. This is nothing other than an indication that the ABS is working and in play.
Sam Strano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:18 PM   #13
Spaceywilly
ZC6A2B82KC7J

Drives: 2002 WRX
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Did you feel any intervention? Mine was doing this when I did an autocross, there was a 180 turn and every time when I was pulling away from there and starting to get loose the light would flash, but it didn't feel like it was doing anything so I ignored it. I think the manual calls it a slip indicator light.

Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers.
Spaceywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:18 PM   #14
CSG Mike

Is there a way to disable EBD? My objective and desire is to be able to control brake bias via compound choice.

The intervention came in the form of understeer in my case. Not sure how it manifested for others. Again, I'm running a more aggressive pad up front, which may be exaggerating the effect.