follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 10-30-2013, 05:43 PM   #15
SloS14

Drives: 2013 FR-S whiteout
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraFRS View Post
there is a high probability of getting hurt running after someone, taking them to the ground, and fighting them. Which could be a reason why he used it.

250lb guy vs a 100lb handcuffed girl? Granted, the girl was probably being a huge idiot in the first place, that's no excuse to resort to disabling voluntary muscle control to someone who is running on a paved surface. The officer probably knew that there was inevitably going to be some sort of head injury as a result of his being a lazy shithead.
SloS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:53 PM   #16
OrangeJuleas

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliog View Post
To serve and protect.
That's exactly the first thing I thought. Who the fuck was this guy protecting? It seems it was himself.

This is upsetting, because it's a large man hiding behind the power of the law to practically execute another human.

As the other poster said, yes, the taser is a tool. But so is the human body. Where I come from, they say "use the correct tool for the job". This is like using a sledgehammer to pound a nail. Completely unnecessary.

And to those in law enforcement, just because you have a gun, a baton, some kind of weapon, do not always assume that you can just escalate to the maximum level just because someone is not listening to you. That is what is going to happen. You can either go around saying you job is dangerous because you have to stop people with wits and strength, or you can just pull a trigger and make the problem go away. Seriously? this is like crashing a helicopter into a fleeing car to end the chase.

I would not run from an officer, whether in handcuffs or not, but knowing this man is an officer does not make me feel safe. I used to know a guy who would justify this and he was training to be a police officer. The guy would flip at the slightest provocation. I shudder to think of if he was ever accepted.

I am not saying that all officers are corrupt or some other BS. But this is unwarranted and a sad destruction of human life that is government sanctioned. There are no winners here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraFRS View Post
Having worked in law enforcement for the last 6 years I see nothing wrong with what he did. The taser is a tool. I have had people run from me and other officers before we had tasers and there is a high probability of getting hurt running after someone, taking them to the ground, and fighting them. Which could be a reason why he used it.

I know about this because I recently got into a fight with a guy and was injured.

Now let's say she continued to run and ran into the street and was hit by car, then people would be saying why didn't he use his taser to stop her.

Her cuffs were in front of her. I don't know if the officer did that or if she got them from behind her back. That makes it more of a problem if she wants to fight. As stated above, if he tackled her and took her to the ground and the same thing could have happened, or worse, or nothing. That's the chance she took when she decided to run.
Let's compare your situation. The guy who fought you was apparently able to hold his own, because he injured you. In this case, the male officer would have clobbered the girl with one punch. 100 lbs? A slight wind can knock that over.

She may have been hit by a car? Seriously? That is an incredibly weak slippery slope argument. Just because it can happen that someone can die while running from the police, doesn't mean the police should make it happen.

Getting hurt? Isn't that something you accept from the start of your training? If you are afraid to throw your life on the line, this is not the job for you. That goes for physical pain as well. And please don't get me wrong, I fully support officers who do their job well and take pride in it. The best ones I know treat people like human beings. The worst ones I know think of people as cattle to be subdued. Please use judgment in the line of duty, as our lives can depend on it. And remember that it is easier to just up and end a life and chalk it up to "I didn't know that would happen", than it is to create one.

And to the officers who actually protect and serve.

EDIT: For those of you that didn't get to read the whole article:

"Maudsley was initially arrested for her alleged involvement in two hit-and-run crashes and driving without a license.

Officer Cole brought her to the substation to complete his paperwork before taking her to the Pinellas County Jail. But as she entered the parking lot, she tried to make a run for it."

She was at a police substation when she tried to make a run for it. She was not armed.

"Hayslett said Cole violated his department’s taser policy which says clearly that “Fleeing cannot be the sole reason for the deployment” of the taser."

Since I cannot find any motivation regarding the officer's safety, I have to believe this was a violation.

"Maudsley remained in a Fort Lauderdale rehab center which specializes in severe brain injuries and remained in a vegetative state until she died last month."

Sad way to go, indeed, even for a hit-and-run driver. Although, I bet those people who were victims were thinking "man, I could kill the person who did this!"

I'm not insane, in fact I'm kinda rational, when I be asking y'all, "Where did all the passion go?"

Last edited by OrangeJuleas; 10-30-2013 at 06:09 PM.
OrangeJuleas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:57 PM   #17
Gixxersixxerman

Drives: Toyota GT86, 66 beetle, 11 GSXR 750
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchy View Post

I guess the alternative is he could have tackled her from behind, crushing her body and head into the pavement and resulted in the same outcome, or grabbed her handcuffed hands, popped her shoulders out as he threw her to the ground. Lets be honest, once you run from the cops, they stop playing nice and IMO they really shouldn't.

also i'm curious if one of the comments has any validity to it.
Same thing I thought of.. It's always easy to say the officer shouldn't do this or that, people would be sitting here talking the same mess if this was the outcome from running her down.. These are the same people that think if the officer was saying. "Please miss don't run, please miss" actually work..
Gixxersixxerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:10 PM   #18
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
With hindsight it appears he made a bad decision. Who among us haven't made bad decisions?
whaap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to whaap For This Useful Post:
Anthony (10-30-2013), Marchy (10-30-2013), OrangeJuleas (10-30-2013)
Old 10-30-2013, 06:19 PM   #19
OrangeJuleas

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by whaap View Post
With hindsight it appears he made a bad decision. Who among us haven't made bad decisions?
How many of your "bad decisions" that you got away with resulted in the ending of another human's life?

It is not as simple as a bad decision, it is practically negligence on his part to try and protect her from injury before causing fatal damage.

I'm not insane, in fact I'm kinda rational, when I be asking y'all, "Where did all the passion go?"
The Following User Says Thank You to OrangeJuleas For This Useful Post:
Ammonia (10-31-2013)
Old 10-30-2013, 06:23 PM   #20
UltraFRS

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Could things have been different in the situation, Yes...but they could've also ended in a different was. @OrangeJuleas I was giving an example, he could have been trying to protect her from getting hit by a vehicle or injured another way, we don't know like i said it was an example. I means what to say that she did continue to run and he chased her and tackled her, then someone on a cell not paying attention hit them...its all a "what if." Yes, things could have happened differently.

And yes I know getting hurt or possibly killed is in my job description. I enjoy what I do and know that when I go to work that it could very well be the last time i see my wife or kids. Im not saying thats what I would have done, I wasn't in his situation and don't know all of the facts, because that article could have left facts out and put other information in.

It is a sad situation and feel for her family because this happened to her.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:24 PM   #21
lo_Opy

Drives: 2013 Subaru Brz WRB Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Sorry but in the beginning of that video the girl is clearly within 1-2 ft. away from that fat F#@k. There is no reason for tasing that girl.
lo_Opy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lo_Opy For This Useful Post:
OrangeJuleas (10-30-2013), radroach (11-01-2013)
Old 10-30-2013, 07:07 PM   #22
whaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeJuleas View Post
How many of your "bad decisions" that you got away with resulted in the ending of another human's life?

It is not as simple as a bad decision, it is practically negligence on his part to try and protect her from injury before causing fatal damage.
In another life time I was a young LEO for seven years in the suburbs of Detroit. Even though I left that line of work 49 years ago I still think of a few events that call for my being grateful I didn't make the wrong choice. Some times it's hard not to.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to whaap For This Useful Post:
Fluxx (11-03-2013), MightyMeeple (10-31-2013), OrangeJuleas (10-30-2013)
Old 10-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #23
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Abuse of deadly force, happens ery'day.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:50 PM   #24
OrangeJuleas

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by whaap View Post
In another life time I was a young LEO for seven years in the suburbs of Detroit. Even though I left that line of work 49 years ago I still think of a few events that call for my being grateful I didn't make the wrong choice. Some times it's hard not to.
Thanks for putting your time in to make a dangerous area safe.

Have any interesting stories to share?

The Following User Says Thank You to OrangeJuleas For This Useful Post:
whaap (10-30-2013)
Old 10-30-2013, 08:04 PM   #25
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I highly encourage everyone to do a ride-along and to see how it really is. I went on a LAPD ride along and it puts things in a whole different perspective.

There's a lot of crazy ass people out there and foot pursuits are no joke. It is unfortunate but it's a simple case of cause and effect. Let's be honest with yourselves, if this was a black woman, majority of you wouldn't even give a shit.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:35 PM   #26
whaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeJuleas View Post
Thanks for putting your time in to make a dangerous area safe.

Have any interesting stories to share?
LOL. I've had a few happenings I've shared with friends but not with the mixed audience we have here.
The Following User Says Thank You to whaap For This Useful Post:
Anthony (11-01-2013)
Old 10-31-2013, 01:43 AM   #27
madoka

Drives: 1995 Nissan Maxima
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeJuleas
This is upsetting, because it's a large man hiding behind the power of the law to practically execute another human.
Come on, that's no execution! This is an execution starting at 2:15:

[ame]http://youtu.be/159PM7ZKcv0?t=2m14s[/ame]
madoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:49 AM   #28
Spirit7
Push the Button Max!

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I feel sad for what happened to this girl, and yes I think in this situation the officer could have made a different choice. It does seem like police rely on the taser as a non-violent weapon a little to much considering the possibility of harm.

However, with that said, if I chose to run from the cops, I know I would be taking the risk of being seriously hurt or even killed. People act like there are no consequences for their actions, but there are.

As far as not realizing life has consequences, I feel like this could be partially contributed to video games. Bare with me here. I love video games, and I think there is nothing wrong with them and I don't think they make people want to kill, but I have this theory that being able to save and restart has conditioned people to not fully accept that there are consequences you can't come back from. Granted, this is not a very well thought out theory, just something that has been bouncing around in my head. That's a whole other discussion however. lol
Spirit7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spirit7 For This Useful Post:
Anthony (11-01-2013)