follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-14-2013, 11:43 PM   #57
StormTrooper

Drives: Pavement MT GR86
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Interesting, watching this thread disintegrate itself.

I'd be intereted in what the tuning background is for our "master"tuners on a platform less than a yr old.
What other tuning experience do they have and is any of it helpful.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:52 PM   #58
Visconti
Banned

Drives: 05 STi
Thanked 3,188 Times in 1,197 Posts
Mentioned: 375 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Visconti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
I dont know in what spot I put you.... Regardless, you are not willing to help me now because I didnt seek out help the way you wanted.

I didnt write any lies, didnt bash you or anyone, just posted facts.

And I reiterate, I even posted that, You always responded to my texts....

Whats done is done. Good luck with everything and again thanks for the help you provided to my car.
Never said you did any if that, just that you put me on the spot... I don't know anyone that likes being put on the spot. Asking me for something like that on the public forum is what I would call being put on the spot.

Don't make this seem like because you didn't ask me nicely via txt now I'm not giving you anything. I wasn't going to give him or you the settings anyways, I might have hinted towards something.

But if you have someone else tuning your car, they don't need my help..

John
Visconti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:54 PM   #59
Visconti
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormTrooper View Post
Interesting, watching this thread disintegrate itself.

I'd be intereted in what the tuning background is for our "master"tuners on a platform less than a yr old.
What other tuning experience do they have and is any of it helpful.
The term master tuner from ecutek means you can sale cables

But I don't think that's what you meant.

My a Subaru guy at heart but have done a lot of different things. I mostly stick to what EcuTek supports because they have great software

John
Old 07-14-2013, 11:54 PM   #60
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,344 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visconti View Post
Never said you did any if that, just that you put me on the spot... I don't know anyone that likes being put on the spot. Asking me for something like that on the public forum is what I would call being put on the spot.

Don't make this seem like because you didn't ask me nicely via txt now I'm not giving you anything. I wasn't going to give him or you the settings anyways, I might have hinted towards something.

But if you have someone else tuning your car, they don't need my help..

John
Thanks for the clarification.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:58 PM   #61
Visconti
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
Thanks for the clarification.
No problem.. But you understand it's not my job to do his.. Right ?

Kinda like if you buy Nike shoes, they don't teach you how to run.

John
Old 07-15-2013, 12:25 AM   #62
StormTrooper

Garage
Just curious since most people I talked to about tuning mentioned a difference between the newer 2.5l wrx and the sti and how tuning one doesn't mean you're good with the other.

Seemed to me like any nerd with enough time could tune but to get a good one it's almost an art.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:39 AM   #63
brzadmir

Drives: 13' BRZ, 05' 325xi, 02' RAV4
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Im getting my vehicle tuned in about a month, want a tune personally from a tuner as opposed to buying ECUtech or whatever is offered. It was a toss up between Visconti or MotoMike not doubting Viscontis work, def a man who can tune the shit out of cars but, I know everyone praises MotoMike on his customer service and gratitude so I'll have him tuning my vehicle for me. Always nice to see some friendly competition on these threads!
brzadmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:23 AM   #64
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,344 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:

Just like most of the stuff I've done, nothing is given to me, I'm have to start from scratch.. I spent several hours trying to figure out how to make those injectors start , hot and cold...idle ..and I still don't think it's as good as it can be.
Quote:
No problem.. But you understand it's not my job to do his.. Right ?

Kinda like if you buy Nike shoes, they don't teach you how to run.

John

Yeah, I understand. It was my mistake for not knowing exactly what entailed getting this calibration done. I thought it was like a data sheet coming from SIR that you just inserted to the tune file.

Knowing now what it takes, I wouldn't have asked for it on the first place. Genuinely my bad for asking. The question in now remove from my thread.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:35 AM   #65
chadstyle

Drives: 2013 Subaru BR-Z Limited
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
See, just more excuses from @Visconti!!

"If you would've dialed the bat-phone with your left leg in the air while holding an injector in your right hand then pressed three to speak with Santa Claus..."

It's all BS John, plain and simple. You don't like being "called out" or put on the spot because you're not half as good as you claim to be. I have reached a point in my career that if someone chooses to put me on the spot I not only take the challenge, I shove it down their throat. Apparently you're worried.

I'm also gonna use your words here too:

"Power isn't everything". Yes, you're 100% right!! Power is only part of what I'm after...Reliability..that comes to mind.. Great Customer Service...yup, I'd like that too! Timeliness..hmmm I do like people who complete tasks on time.

So you're right, power isn't everything. For EVERYTHING you should check out @FA20Club.com

Had to "feed the troll" hahahaha....
Old 07-15-2013, 07:50 AM   #66
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightbringer View Post
It's been a year since a reasonably-accurate comparison has been done. I'd love to see a Master Tuner shootout, and I'm sure the board agrees---that'd actually be useful information, unlike most of the "John's mean" posts. Find yourself an UNBIASED customer. Same car, same modifications, same dyno, same day. Post the numbers and let the hardwork of Visconti, FA20Club, etc speak for itself and then let the petty squabbling die.
I've asked for this multiple times, i've even offered up a dyno day and arranged for a number of local 86's in varying degrees of modifications from stock, to intake/exhaust, to vortech and innovate SC'd to participate so that people could get a better idea across the board (same day, same dyno, etc).

I received virtually no interest from ANY tuner in participating, unfortunately. I think it would be a great resource.
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:13 AM   #67
chadstyle

Drives: 2013 Subaru BR-Z Limited
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohnx View Post
I've asked for this multiple times, i've even offered up a dyno day and arranged for a number of local 86's in varying degrees of modifications from stock, to intake/exhaust, to vortech and innovate SC'd to participate so that people could get a better idea across the board (same day, same dyno, etc).

I received virtually no interest from ANY tuner in participating, unfortunately. I think it would be a great resource.
I agree and if you read the posts leading up to this you will see I've offered to pay for the dyno and tuners to do the comparison out of my pocket.

Visconti has said No but FA20Club said "any time man" and that was it.

It sounds like John is too busy with other platforms and I'd venture to say in a year or so we will all be thinking "what ever happened to that Visconti guy?"
Old 07-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #68
Nightbringer

Drives: Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohnx View Post

I agree that'd be excellent knowledge, especially for the newcomers. I would like to play guinea pig on this. I'm not made of money, but I want this forum to get past the squabbling. I think concrete numbers and a review of drivability/mileage from each tune will put this argument to rest.

I already have John's tune and permission to post results. If any of the other major tuners (Tony, etc) are following along with this, please contact me via PM so we can work something out. I'd like to provide an indepth comparison of as many of the major offerings as I can here, for the sake of ending the community's in-fighting, and for concrete, factual knowledge on who does what.

For each tune I'll provide a same-conditions data log to each of the respective tuners. Each tuner gets one log/revision to dial the tune in for my modifications. We'll set the advance multiplier to 1 so there is no learn time to get full timing advance. Then I'll run each tune on the dyno with thirty minutes in between. Will also do a road test and document driving impressions, as well as cruise gas mileage.

Thoughts? If anyone has comments or suggestions, let me hear 'em.
Nightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nightbringer For This Useful Post:
chadstyle (07-16-2013)
Old 07-15-2013, 03:29 PM   #69
StormTrooper

Garage
I wish you the best of luck with this but I never saw this with the wrx sti or evo community and those have been around and tunes available for years.

I will say this, absolute numbers are useless if your engine blows up or if every time the weather changes your tune pulls timing.

Also different cars will respond to mods slightly differently so 5whp would not be something I'd claim victory over.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #70
Nightbringer

Drives: Scion FR-S
I don't care so much about peak numbers, that only shows a vary narrow aspect of the total experience. I'm more interested in the overall drivability. Every car is different. I'm not actually looking to establish a "victor" here. As my other post stated, I'm extremely pleased with the power/drivability of my Visconti tune. I'm expecting both tunes will yield damn near identical results. I just want to put an end to the incessant arguing and give the community a decent reference to compare the various offerings.
Nightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nightbringer For This Useful Post:
chadstyle (07-16-2013)