follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 08-17-2015, 03:07 PM   #1
sroby

Drives: 2015 Firestorm 08/05/15
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Frs/to Brz Satellite xm Antenna help pls

So I picked up my 2015 Firestorm Frs Last Saturday here in Atlanta Ga. I knew they did not come with satellite radio. I paid the stealership 320. for the so called factory toyota reciver and hardware plus 300 labor total 620.00 All along I was assuming the xm antenna would be in the top shark fin antenna. Everything works as advertised with the exception of the xm antenna which they mounted on the lower part of the back glass. It looks like crap. I have spoken on email with David at 96svx to what parts are needed to change over to the Brz antenna. I am asking anybody in the Frs community for help in knowing the specific parts and or numbers I will need to put the Factory Brz antenna which I am told already comes with the sat antenna in it, However I dont know for sure and didnt want to waste 150.00 on one and it not be able to work. If anybody has done this could you point me in the right direction on what cable leads and If in fact the Brz antenna will work. I would greatly apreciate it. Thanks so much Steve
sroby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 03:46 PM   #2
Chimera

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I thought the OEM was hidden in the dash above the driver side console under the shroud..
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:41 PM   #3
sroby

xm antenna

Chimera, I sure hope so I will check it out this weekend. Thx so much Steve
Old 08-17-2015, 10:05 PM   #4
Chimera

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sroby View Post
Chimera, I sure hope so I will check it out this weekend. Thx so much Steve
That might be the spot for the oem GPS... I know one is in there.. I didn't have either so this is 2nd or even 3rd hand knowledge. Good luck!
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:26 AM   #5
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,999 Times in 11,400 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
I thought the OEM was hidden in the dash above the driver side console under the shroud..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
That might be the spot for the oem GPS... I know one is in there.. I didn't have either so this is 2nd or even 3rd hand knowledge. Good luck!
I can't speak for the XM antenna, but yes the OEM GPS antenna is installed underneath the dash. Not sure what the "official" location for it is, but I installed mine based on the instructions just right of center as far forward as I could reach.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:31 PM   #6
sroby

xm antenna

Dadhawk, thx partner I will check it out this weekend. regards Steve
Old 08-18-2015, 07:21 PM   #7
Mr_Hann

Drives: 2015 Steel FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I can't speak for the XM antenna, but yes the OEM GPS antenna is installed underneath the dash. Not sure what the "official" location for it is, but I installed mine based on the instructions just right of center as far forward as I could reach.
To add:

In my Impreza I had both XM and Nav mounted above the center HVAC vents, in the dash.

It worked fine 99% of the time.

Last edited by Mr_Hann; 08-18-2015 at 07:25 PM. Reason: grammar yo
Mr_Hann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:42 PM   #8
sroby

xm antenna

thx , I don't know what kind of space in the frs there is above the hvac but will check it out thx sir, regards Steve
Old 08-29-2015, 03:35 AM   #9
SVXdc
Radio wiring harness guru

Drives: 1996 SVX L AWD
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
In BRZ models, the factory GPS antenna is on a small metal bracket fastened just above the HU. In all other Subaru models, they place the GPS antenna in a "pocket" above the instrument cluster, just below the dash. BRZ has a similar spot, but for some reason Subaru didn't use that.

In all recent Subaru models where Sirius/XM was installed by the factory, the sat radio antenna is on the roof, usually a combo AM/FM + sat unit.

In models (besides BRZ) where sat radio is added by a dealer or the owner, the OEM kit includes a sat radio antenna that you stick inside the windshield, at the far upper right corner.

As I mentioned to sroby via e-mail, BRZ has versions of the various antenna "feeder cords" that include separate coax cables for AM/FM and sat radio. See these diagrams:
2015 BRZ AUDIO PARTS (ANTENNA)

2015 BRZ AUDIO PARTS (RADIO) SYSTEM
There are alternate feeder cords for cars without sat radio (I guess BRZ models outside North America [ADDED: and some Canadian "Sport" models that did not get a sat radio-capable HU]). Those same P/Ns probably match up to Scion parts for FR-S models, and Toyota parts for GT86 models.

If you want to swap in the BRZ combo rooftop antenna, you'll need to either:

A) Swap in the corresponding combo feeder cords. I haven't worked out which parts you would need.

B) Keep using your existing AM/FM feeder cord, and add a DIY cord for the sat radio portion. I haven't seen the bottom of the combo antenna, so I don't know what kind of connector you would need at that end of your new cord.

Added: The farther north you are, the more you'll really want the sat radio antenna to be on the roof.

Added2: Good pictures of the antenna's short "pigtail" cable and its plug are several posts down in this thread:
DIY - 2015 OEM Sharkfin antenna retrofit

Last edited by SVXdc; 09-03-2015 at 07:26 PM.
SVXdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:51 PM   #10
lbroskee

Drives: 2023 WRB BRZ (MT)
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXdc View Post
In BRZ models, the factory GPS antenna is on a small metal bracket fastened just above the HU. In all other Subaru models, they place the GPS antenna in a "pocket" above the instrument cluster, just below the dash. BRZ has a similar spot, but for some reason Subaru didn't use that.

In all recent Subaru models where Sirius/XM was installed by the factory, the sat radio antenna is on the roof, usually a combo AM/FM + sat unit.

In models (besides BRZ) where sat radio is added by a dealer or the owner, the OEM kit includes a sat radio antenna that you stick inside the windshield, at the far upper right corner.

As I mentioned to sroby via e-mail, BRZ has versions of the various antenna "feeder cords" that include separate coax cables for AM/FM and sat radio. See these diagrams:
2015 BRZ AUDIO PARTS (ANTENNA)

2015 BRZ AUDIO PARTS (RADIO) SYSTEM
There are alternate feeder cords for cars without sat radio (I guess BRZ models outside North America [ADDED: and some Canadian "Sport" models that did not get a sat radio-capable HU]). Those same P/Ns probably match up to Scion parts for FR-S models, and Toyota parts for GT86 models.

If you want to swap in the BRZ combo rooftop antenna, you'll need to either:

A) Swap in the corresponding combo feeder cords. I haven't worked out which parts you would need.

B) Keep using your existing AM/FM feeder cord, and add a DIY cord for the sat radio portion. I haven't seen the bottom of the combo antenna, so I don't know what kind of connector you would need at that end of your new cord.

Added: The farther north you are, the more you'll really want the sat radio antenna to be on the roof.

Added2: Good pictures of the antenna's short "pigtail" cable and its plug are several posts down in this thread:
DIY - 2015 OEM Sharkfin antenna retrofit
So navi is same as in 14+ frs and just w normal antenna? If I don't get all the feeder cords I would only be missing out on XM if I'm reading this correctly?
lbroskee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:47 PM   #11
sroby

That's my understanding. As a side note the guru on this info is Dave at ae64.com. I have reached out to him on other forums. He lives in the Atlanta area I live just outside Atlanta in Dallas Ga. But it nobody has had any contact. My eyes are not what they used to be. So I can solder like I used to on active duty working on F-15,s. But I found a real sharp radio tech at Best Buys here in Hiram Ga. He has soldered many of xm and sirrus radio antennas that have broken meaning the small sat antenna wire. I am going over next tues for him to splice mine into my Brz antenna that I put on my 2015 frs. Hope that might help. best regards Steve

Last edited by sroby; 02-27-2016 at 09:18 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:11 PM   #12
lbroskee

Garage
Quote:
That's my understanding. As a side note the guru on this info is Dave from 96svx. I have reached out to him on other forums. He lives in the Atlanta area I live just outside Atlanta in Dallas Ga. But it nobody has had any contact. My eyes are not what they used to be. So I can solder like I used to on active duty working on F-15,s. But I found a real sharp radio tech at Best Buys here in Hiram Ga. He has soldered many of xm and sirrus radio antennas that have broken meaning the small sat antenna wire. I am going over next tues for him to splice mine into my Brz antenna that I put on my 2015 frs. Hope that might help. best regards Steve
So as of now everything works perfectly except the XM radio?
Old 02-10-2016, 09:07 PM   #13
sroby

The Following User Says Thank You to sroby For This Useful Post:
lbroskee (02-10-2016)
Old 02-10-2016, 09:11 PM   #14
lbroskee

Garage
Quote:
May b a long shot but is the god antenna the same as the 14 frs one? I can find these all day without an antenna, but none with it