follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 07-01-2015, 03:20 PM   #1
modbus

Drives: '14 BRZ | '95 Range Rover
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Should I go FI?

I'm mainly seeking advice on whether or not I should even consider FI. Here's all the info, and hopefully that is enough to get some suggestions on whether or not I should start investigating further.

My BRZ is a DD, it is at 10k mi and at this rate I'm going to be putting about 16k mi / year on it. I really wish it had that bit more power, but I'm not looking to go crazy, which is why I'm fairly tempted by the supercharger options.

I don't plan on tracking my car, however I do take long drives down windy backroads with my pedal mashed to the floor.

I want something that is still super reliable as a DD. I would prefer that I could get everything installed & tuned and only really need to deal with basic maintenance. I don't prefer having to regularly be working on my car and I don't plan on playing with tuning myself.

• Should I even consider FI based on my needs?
  • If I do supercharge, which is best for mainly DD, and sometimes some fun?
  • What added components do I need other than the kit and a tune? Oil cooler? Catch can?
  • Do I need to watch my oil temp or other parameters all the time?

I apologize for my noobness but this is all very new to me. Appreciate your responses in advanced.
modbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:25 PM   #2
Toyarzee
Shibby!

Drives: '14 White FR-S, '01 turbo mini taco
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I can say with absolute confidence: don't boost your DD. Some may have had success, and I got away with it for almost 2 years (on a different vehicle). If the car comes from the factory N/A, any kind of FI will completely alter your car's reliability, maintenance, and driveability characteristics.

I actually use my frs as my DD, and track a boosted 2rz toyota. I do have to work on the aftermarket FI system regularly, and the rest of the components even more.

If you do boost the brz, I guarantee you'll at some point wish you had a second car to daily when your ride is down and out.
Toyarzee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Toyarzee For This Useful Post:
Dream20b (07-01-2015), IBill4You (07-01-2015), STV3 (07-01-2015), Vroomin86 (07-01-2015)
Old 07-01-2015, 03:44 PM   #3
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
ELECTRIC SUPERCHARGER
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:49 PM   #4
Vroomin86

Drives: 2015 Fire
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Couldn't have said it better myself, especially putting 16K/year.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:04 PM   #5
WHITE
Thats pretty neat

Drives: LOADING......
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Do not do FI. If I were you id focus more so on n/a performance mods.
WHITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 04:05 PM   #6
STV3
Seņor Member

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,322 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
If you boost your daily driver.... You're gonna have a bad time...
STV3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 04:22 PM   #7
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,642 Times in 2,958 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Full exhaust, with a good tune, and E85, you'll have plenty and still be reliable. Unless you're me and boosted it anyway.... :p

BTW, since I've boosted my car, I've had it in the shop randomly a hand full of times, but it's still incredibly inconvenient despite being minor. Just Saiyan .

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 05:00 PM   #8
350matt

Drives: toyota mr2/ Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
surely with a reputable kit and not excessive boost / power levels then you're going to be fine?

I'd say go with a supercharger of some sort to keep the heat down and consider fitting an oil cooler although unless youre tracking it this isn't a requirement

with a good tune and the right kit then I don't see why the car will be compromised in reliability ?
Just for example I know that Cosworth did a 50K mile endurance test on thier dyno with their SC kit with no issues
350matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 05:40 PM   #9
chiefshayan

Drives: 2013 AT Firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Stay NA, acquire project car
chiefshayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:43 PM   #10
tyrantcf

Drives: '16 WRX, CBR1000RR
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'd say if you have the money, and you've considered the risks associated with boosting, and you're willing to devote more time for maintenance, then go for it.

It's your money, remember.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:29 PM   #11
Toyarzee
Shibby!

Drives: '14 White FR-S, '01 turbo mini taco
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrantcf View Post
and you're willing to devote more time for maintenance, then go for it.
Op doesn't sound like it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by modbus View Post
only really need to deal with basic maintenance. I don't prefer having to regularly be working on my car and I don't plan on playing with tuning myself.
That right there cries pump those brakes... if you're not excited to roll up those sleeves and put in time, don't waste your time, money, and energy. You'll get frustrated quickly... even if it isn't issues with the standalone FI system itself.

Some of those CARB approved supercharger systems with a locked ots tune may be a possible contender, but still people are having to concern themselves with combating the heat, changing oil more frequently, whether their clutch will hold and last, or even just find yourself upgrading other components that are needing to compensate for the added power which themselves will require additional service.

I'm not saying don't boost this car. I'm saying don't boost this car if you absolutely need it to get to work in the morning and have no other mode of transportation... But you're right, his $

Last edited by Toyarzee; 07-01-2015 at 07:48 PM.
Toyarzee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toyarzee For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (07-02-2015)
Old 07-01-2015, 08:21 PM   #12
modbus

Drives: '14 BRZ | '95 Range Rover
Appreciate all the input thus far.

I already do have somewhat of a project car. It's a classic Range Rover. It has 244k miles and it's British so it breaks down as a feature.

My BRZ is my DD and reliable car I need to depend on.

I think I'm quite swayed into keeping my BRZ stock. It is also making me question whether or not a used Cayman might have been a better way to go to get to that next level of performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyarzee View Post
Op doesn't sound like it...

That right there cries pump those brakes... if you're not excited to roll up those sleeves and put in time, don't waste your time, money, and energy. You'll get frustrated quickly... even if it isn't issues with the standalone FI system itself.

Some of those CARB approved supercharger systems with a locked ots tune may be a possible contender, but still people are having to concern themselves with combating the heat, changing oil more frequently, whether their clutch will hold and last, or even just find yourself upgrading other components that are needing to compensate for the added power which themselves will require additional service.

I'm not saying don't boost this car. I'm saying don't boost this car if you absolutely need it to get to work in the morning and have no other mode of transportation... But you're right, his $
modbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:26 PM   #13
NoppyNop

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ, 1994 Mazda Miata
I currently have the Jackson Racing supercharger kit on my DD BRZ, and there hasn't been any issues or extra that I've had to do for the car. I currently just past the 40k mile mark and it's been just as reliable as the day I bought it. That's just my experience, thought you would like to hear from both sides.
NoppyNop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NoppyNop For This Useful Post:
Cal3000 (07-02-2015), CSG Mike (07-01-2015), DriftinFRS (07-01-2015), otterpop (07-12-2015), Toyarzee (07-02-2015)
Old 07-01-2015, 09:47 PM   #14
protpibe

Drives: 4-Runner Sport - 13' BRZ SportTech
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
I'm really surprised at how many of these threads don't discuss costs as if it wasn't a factor at all.

If you have about $6,000 of disposable income and you want to spend it on making your car go faster, then go FI.

If you don't, don't go FI.

There are MANY FI options out there, and they will almost all be at the mercy of the tune in terms of reliability. With the exception of a supercharger snapping a belt, there really isn't much to go wrong on them aside from install error.