follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-30-2015, 03:08 PM   #1
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Drives: Asphalt AVO FR-S w/a Slushbox! :P
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Threads for Stock oil Pressure and Temp Senders

Hello!

Does anybody know what metric threads the oil pressure switch and temp sensor uses? I'm trying to buy the right T-fitting to install an oil temp guage

Thanks!

...because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn
@Art_Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:47 AM   #2
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re72di5phM0"]Crickets Chirping Sound Effect - YouTube[/ame]

...because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn
Old 05-01-2015, 04:03 PM   #3
Jeff@Racer X Fab

Drives: Subaru BRZ, Toyota MR2 Turbo
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Art_Mighty View Post
Hello!

Does anybody know what metric threads the oil pressure switch and temp sensor uses? I'm trying to buy the right T-fitting to install an oil temp guage

Thanks!
The oil pressure switch looks to be 1/8" BSPT, not sure on the water temp sensor.
Jeff@Racer X Fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:19 PM   #4
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx1715 View Post
The oil pressure switch looks to be 1/8" BSPT, not sure on the water temp sensor.
The other one is a *WATER* temp sensor?

Old 05-01-2015, 06:11 PM   #5
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
The other one is a *WATER* temp sensor?
You can read oil temp and water temp from stock sensors with torque or other logging devices

for oil pressure yes you will need to install oil pressure sender as stock its only a switch.

see here for install about 7min30 sec mark

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cDfFJ5s6IDg"]FRS - BRZ Oil Pressure and Temperature Tech FA20 - YouTube[/ame]
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
jeepmor (08-10-2022)
Old 05-01-2015, 06:55 PM   #6
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
You can read oil temp and water temp from stock sensors with torque or other logging devices
Yes...

I know about the oil galley plug, it's going to be used for an oil pressure sender. I have a temperature gauge I wish to install for oil and won't be using any OBDII based displays or logging devices

...so I'm still hoping someone knows the answer to my question

Old 05-01-2015, 07:13 PM   #7
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
There are 2 galley plugs. Top of the motor by the intake and another one on the passenger side under the ecm... IIRC Avo Turbo kits use this as oil feed source.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kiske For This Useful Post:
@Art_Mighty (05-01-2015)
Old 05-01-2015, 07:22 PM   #8
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Let's keep this simple guys. I want to buy one of these

http://www.mscn.com.au/speedflow-pro...-pressure-tees

...and put it here...

...to install this (which I already own)...

...so, does anyone here know which metric thread sizes the original senders use:

M8x1.5, M10x1.0, M12x1.5, other?

It's a Japanese car so it's *NOT* going to use 1/8th anything:

NPT or [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Standard_Pipe"]British Standard Pipe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
T

Old 05-01-2015, 07:26 PM   #9
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiske View Post
There are 2 galley plugs. Top of the motor by the intake and another one on the passenger side under the ecm... IIRC Avo Turbo kits use this as oil feed source.
The galley plug on right side is already being used to feed oil to the turbo so I can't use that one (I have the AVO kit installed)

Old 05-02-2015, 08:04 PM   #10
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Let's keep this simple guys. I want to buy one of these

...so, does anyone here know which metric thread sizes the original senders use:

M8x1.5, M10x1.0, M12x1.5, other?

It's a Japanese car so it's *NOT* going to use 1/8th anything:
None of those.

It's really 1/8" PT since that's what Japan uses, but for most of the world it's 1/8" BSPT. It's a tapered thread (pipe fitting) and for whatever reason the world doesn't use metric for that. I'm sure both the switch and temp sensor are the same.

The US mostly uses NPT and while you can thread an NPT fitting into a BSPT hole, it's not recommended at all.

So you would need the "RGA-36" fitting on the page you listed. I would caution using those copper tees though, they have been known to break over time. Usually when they stick straight out of the engine and you have like 2-3 things attached to them they break where they attach to the block. One option is to use one of these:

http://www.iagperformance.com/Prospo...p/psropkit.htm

And then put the tee on it and just ziptie/mount it someplace that way you don't have all the weight hanging off the block directly.

Last edited by xwd; 05-02-2015 at 08:16 PM.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xwd For This Useful Post:
@Art_Mighty (05-03-2015), aagun (05-05-2015), jeepmor (08-10-2022)
Old 05-03-2015, 03:44 PM   #11
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwx View Post
None of those.

It's really 1/8" PT since that's what Japan uses, but for most of the world it's 1/8" BSPT. It's a tapered thread (pipe fitting) and for whatever reason the world doesn't use metric for that. I'm sure both the switch and temp sensor are the same.

The US mostly uses NPT and while you can thread an NPT fitting into a BSPT hole, it's not recommended at all.

So you would need the "RGA-36" fitting on the page you listed. I would caution using those copper tees though, they have been known to break over time. Usually when they stick straight out of the engine and you have like 2-3 things attached to them they break where they attach to the block. One option is to use one of these:

http://www.iagperformance.com/Prospo...p/psropkit.htm

And then put the tee on it and just ziptie/mount it someplace that way you don't have all the weight hanging off the block directly.
I want to use it for temperature so I think a relocation kit wouldn't be a good option for me (so much distance between the "fresh" oil and what's in the tube?

I guess that's the only reasonable option... :/

Old 05-05-2015, 11:51 AM   #12
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

So just confirming...

Quote:
None of those.

It's really 1/8" PT since that's what Japan uses, but for most of the world it's 1/8" BSPT. It's a tapered thread (pipe fitting) and for whatever reason the world doesn't use metric for that.
You're essentially saying that PT is that tapered version of BSPT so really; BSPT = PT?

Quote:
I would caution using those copper tees though, they have been known to break over time. Usually when they stick straight out of the engine and you have like 2-3 things attached to them they break where they attach to the block.
Because this is a temp sensor using it with the relocation kit isn't ideal because there's too much "lag" between where the sensor it vs. where the oil is flowing. I really need a "T". I can get something custom machined from Stainless Steel with thick walls if longevity is an issue.

Thoughts?

Old 05-05-2015, 11:56 AM   #13
malave7567

Drives: (formerly) 2013 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
So just confirming...

You're essentially saying that PT is that tapered version of BSPT so really; BSPT = PT?

Because this is a temp sensor using it with the relocation kit isn't ideal because there's too much "lag" between where the sensor it vs. where the oil is flowing. I really need a "T". I can get something custom machined from Stainless Steel with thick walls if longevity is an issue.

Thoughts?
BSPT = PT. Just shortened nomenclature (removing the British Standard from the title, I believe Japan does this, as I've seen other parts from there just list PT). NPT is the one that is different and specific to the US.

I can't confirm the threads on those ports, but I am running the TRD Sandwich Plate for my gauges, and it does in fact use BSPT, so I would suspect the original sensors on the car also do.
malave7567 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to malave7567 For This Useful Post:
@Art_Mighty (05-05-2015)
Old 05-05-2015, 06:31 PM   #14
aagun

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
install oil cooler (should have one if ur boxer boosted ) or this \/ \/

i use 1/8 bsp for oil pressure gauge with copper o ring

same mine

Last edited by aagun; 05-05-2015 at 07:14 PM.
aagun is offline   Reply With Quote