follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northwest

Northwest AK, ID, OR, WA

User Tag List

Old 02-02-2015, 04:26 AM   #1
Chen
Regional Moderator

Drives: 13' ZN6 / 00' AP1 / 20' A90/ 15 EVO
Thanked 1,275 Times in 854 Posts
Mentioned: 307 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Finally got a fix it ticket.

For having no front plate. In Beaverton of all places. Anyway... For you guys that have relocation kits. Any worries of them getting taken off your car?
Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:25 AM   #2
TB9

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited CBS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Bummer. I've been avoiding doing that as well. It's been one year so far.
TB9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:52 AM   #3
Ammunition

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
I got a fix it ticket along with an 11 minute over-the-limit parking ticket all from a meter maid the third day after having my new plates on.

I was really pissed about it, but honestly my relocation kit has really grown on me, and I think of it as a tiny little shield that helps fend off rock chips from part of my bumper.

I highly recommend the Grimmspeed relocation hit as it is very adjustable, and specific to our platform. You need a 5mm hex wrench, a 3mm hex wrench (if you use screws that come with the kit (I used different ones since I had a thicker license plate frame), and a 17mm socket.

So I think it's unlikely it's going to get stolen, especially if you use a torquing wrench to fasten it on, which is probably what you'd want to use anyway.

I've never had problems with it, or seen any indication that someone's tried to mess with it. Also make sure to add some grease to the main bolt, so you don't shear anything.

Just curious did you have your front plate in the windshield, or not visible at all? I always heard mixed information on weather or not they can ticket you if it's in the windshield.
Ammunition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:49 AM   #4
Chen
Regional Moderator

Drives: 13' ZN6 / 00' AP1 / 20' A90/ 15 EVO
Thanked 1,275 Times in 854 Posts
Mentioned: 307 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammunition View Post
I got a fix it ticket along with an 11 minute over-the-limit parking ticket all from a meter maid the third day after having my new plates on.

I was really pissed about it, but honestly my relocation kit has really grown on me, and I think of it as a tiny little shield that helps fend off rock chips from part of my bumper.

I highly recommend the Grimmspeed relocation hit as it is very adjustable, and specific to our platform. You need a 5mm hex wrench, a 3mm hex wrench (if you use screws that come with the kit (I used different ones since I had a thicker license plate frame), and a 17mm socket.

So I think it's unlikely it's going to get stolen, especially if you use a torquing wrench to fasten it on, which is probably what you'd want to use anyway.

I've never had problems with it, or seen any indication that someone's tried to mess with it. Also make sure to add some grease to the main bolt, so you don't shear anything.

Just curious did you have your front plate in the windshield, or not visible at all? I always heard mixed information on weather or not they can ticket you if it's in the windshield.

Unfortunately I didn't have my plate in the dash. I took it off when I cleaned the car and left it in the garage. I'm not sure if they would of helped my case at all either tho.

The officer I worked with was really picky about everything. He questioned my tint, he wanted my paper work for it and then he proceeded to check it, and then he asked me about my exhaust and if I knew how loud it was... I was a bit blind sided by that one.
Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:05 PM   #5
RobertPaulson
Hisnamewasrobertpaulson

Drives: 2017 Golf R
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chen View Post
Unfortunately I didn't have my plate in the dash. I took it off when I cleaned the car and left it in the garage. I'm not sure if they would of helped my case at all either tho.

The officer I worked with was really picky about everything. He questioned my tint, he wanted my paper work for it and then he proceeded to check it, and then he asked me about my exhaust and if I knew how loud it was... I was a bit blind sided by that one.
just tell him its 86 decibels

as for any worries about the relocation kit being removed, I've run mine since i've owned the car and i've never had any issues putting it on or off, and i've never had anyone trying to steal it off my car.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:10 PM   #6
breadcrumbz

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I had the Perrin relocator kit since I got the car. Its been a year and have had no issues at all. I have OCD so I didn't want to deal with the adjustment of the grimmspeed one lol. The relocator is very solid and no one has seemed to mess with it in socal. Even if they tried, they would need a few tools.
breadcrumbz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to breadcrumbz For This Useful Post:
PERRIN (02-02-2015)
Old 02-02-2015, 12:21 PM   #7
sachu

Drives: rocketship
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
did you try the, " i can't put a number plate on the front as thereis no option for it".

Also, beaverton cops suck balls. They have nearly 10 cops on payroll only doing traffic duty, aka, handing out tickets all day long. I make it a point to obey all rules when am in washington county, which unfortunately is a lot of my driving time since i work there.

Running without the number plate myself as well up front.
sachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:21 PM   #8
Mr Kirmudget

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'd definitely recommend the Grimmspeed kit. It's very adjustable and comes with some sweet license plate frames. I've never had any problems with people trying to steal it, but I suppose it's possible.
Mr Kirmudget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:28 PM   #9
HATED1

Drives: 86
Thanked 1,045 Times in 443 Posts
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Garage
I use this one and love it!

http://gominigo.com/Scion.html
HATED1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:04 PM   #10
Ammunition

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chen View Post

Yeah, I was carrying mine around in the dash to. For some reason I tossed it in the back of my car (I think it might have been sliding around on my dash, and I was going to figure out a way to secure it better later). I had it in then back seat of my car when I got the citation - I totally meant to place it in the dash, and I had just forgot

That's pretty ridiculous for him to be questioning your tint, and exhaust. If he "isn't sure" if it is too dark, or the exhaust too loud, that's bogus of him, and clearly he's just looking to nail you for something. That's pretty awful - I read some nasty stories on this forum about cops nailing people for ridiculous crap like that, but I didn't think that was something I had to worry about here. I drive by, text to, and around cops fairly frequently, and I've never felt worried about them doing anything like that.

What did you say about your exhaust? I feel like they shouldn't really be able to argue with you if you say that it's resonated - unless they really just want to be an ass to you.

That makes me nervous too because I was pretty set on getting a 30% tint, and he was asking you for documentation for it. Did you do anything to get his attention, or was it really just for the front plate, and he started questioning that stuff? Sometimes I feel like not having a tint really helps in avoiding getting targeted for the other stuff as it sort of says you have nothing to hide.
Ammunition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:30 PM   #11
MTCRX

Drives: Whiteout FRS- autocross ready
You people live in a police state. I cant believe the harassment you and Californians get from the police who should be out looking after your safety and welfare. Of course they figure you have the money, not the real criminals, so easy income for them. Apparently you must all conform and act in a singular fashion. No diversity or original thoughts allowed. I really find it hard to believe a missing front license plate is such a critical item to crime prevention. How about the police go after those driving without insurance or driving an unsafe vehicle.
MTCRX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MTCRX For This Useful Post:
Ammunition (02-02-2015), sachu (02-02-2015)
Old 02-02-2015, 01:45 PM   #12
asphaltfrs2014

Drives: Frs
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Garage
I got pulled over 4 months after owning mine for no plate. Tried ditching in a neighborhood I didn't know, took a wrong turn and ended up on a dead end street. Cop let me off without even a fix it ticket, just said I should put one on. He said he liked how clean the car was, guess I was just lucky.

I've heard different things about the Grimspeed but I don't have personal experience with it. I bought the Perrin kit and have been more than happy with it. Since there is less adjustment with the Perrin, there are less chances for the adjustment screws to loosen over time and give the plate a gangster lean. The kit has not moved in over three months since owning it. I've taken my car to downtown portland where it almost got stolen if I didn't run them off, and the would be thieves were not positioned around the plate.

Sounds like the cops might be cracking down on imports again out there, they did that up in Vancouver awhile back. Or did you get pulled over last night during/ after the game. I knew there were extra patrols out for drunk driving.
asphaltfrs2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:51 PM   #13
MTCRX

Drives: Whiteout FRS- autocross ready
The Perrin kit works well, I have hit cones in autocross with the plate mount and it held up fine. It stays tight too. You can tighten the nuts down enough so it is hard to loosen the mounting bracket, but if someone really wants it the plates give good leverage for twisting the bolt off. But what are the chances of them knowing that and wanting?
MTCRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:53 PM   #14
asphaltfrs2014

Drives: Frs
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammunition View Post
Yeah, I was carrying mine around in the dash to. For some reason I tossed it in the back of my car (I think it might have been sliding around on my dash, and I was going to figure out a way to secure it better later). I had it in then back seat of my car when I got the citation - I totally meant to place it in the dash, and I had just forgot

That's pretty ridiculous for him to be questioning your tint, and exhaust. If he "isn't sure" if it is too dark, or the exhaust too loud, that's bogus of him, and clearly he's just looking to nail you for something. That's pretty awful - I read some nasty stories on this forum about cops nailing people for ridiculous crap like that, but I didn't think that was something I had to worry about here. I drive by, text to, and around cops fairly frequently, and I've never felt worried about them doing anything like that.

What did you say about your exhaust? I feel like they shouldn't really be able to argue with you if you say that it's resonated - unless they really just want to be an ass to you.

That makes me nervous too because I was pretty set on getting a 30% tint, and he was asking you for documentation for it. Did you do anything to get his attention, or was it really just for the front plate, and he started questioning that stuff? Sometimes I feel like not having a tint really helps in avoiding getting targeted for the other stuff as it sort of says you have nothing to hide.
I can't speak for Oregon, but when I got pulled over by the Washington State Patrol in my last car and went through a similar experience, I had a pretty long conversation/ debate with him. They actually have a printout now up here that has a list of the major violations that the guy could highlight. Apparently for exhaust, anything modified from oem is considered illegal. Tint is 30% in WA, and there is even a limit of how low a car can be lowered. The front plate has to be attached permanently to the front of the vehicle, the dash is actually a red flag for them to pull you over for it, it draws extra attention that it isn't on the front of the car. Having it in the backseat, a cop is more likely to let you drive on by. But on the flip side if it isn't displayed at all, you will get nailed by a meter maid.
asphaltfrs2014 is offline   Reply With Quote