follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 01-26-2015, 09:50 PM   #1
IDFWU 420
Honarary Member

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Someone who has knowledge about the stock touchscreen HU

Alright, so me and my friend was trying to install a backup cam we got on eBay with the correct harness. After wiring up correctly, we tested the camera by shifting into reverse, but nothing happened. So then we checked to see if the wiring is correct, and it is.

Not knowing what could be the problem, my friend took out his headunit (Subaru's stock touchscreen HU) from his FRS and tested it in my car to see if it's the headunit or wiring we're having problems with. When using my friend's headunit and shifting it into reverse, it WORKS!

I have a 2015 stock Scion's touchscreen HU. My friend has the Subaru's stock touchscreen HU.

So now we know that the wiring isn't an issue afterall, it's the headunit... Does anyone know what could be wrong?! Where would the correct wiring go to in my Scion's stock touchscreen HU?...

P.S We also tried going in the diagnostic menu, but couldn't get it to work so it has to be the wiring positioning differs from the Subaru's HU...

P.S.S We also read every DIY thread on how to install the backup cam, but everyone is doing it on a Subaru's HU, not a Scion's HU...
IDFWU 420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:57 PM   #2
Danklvr

Drives: 2014 FR-S 6MT Argento
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Danklvr
try this simple test in your frs.

car off shift into reverse
while in reverse, depress clutch and start frs.
if cam is working, h/u isnt seeing reverse cam power on bootup
if cam is no still no workie, you didnt tap correct reverse signal wire

those are the 2 most common problems anyway

what harness and cam did you get? 12v cam or 5v?

How ya gonna keep 'em down on the farm once they've seen Karl Hungus?
Danklvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:06 PM   #3
IDFWU 420
Honarary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danklvr View Post
try this simple test in your frs.

car off shift into reverse
while in reverse, depress clutch and start frs.
if cam is working, h/u isnt seeing reverse cam power on bootup
if cam is no still no workie, you didnt tap correct reverse signal wire

those are the 2 most common problems anyway

what harness and cam did you get? 12v cam or 5v?
We already tried those 2 and still didn't work. And for tapping into the wrong wiring... even if we did, then it shouldn't have worked on my friend's Subaru stock touchscreen HU.. All we did was remove my HU and replaced it with his and when we shifted into reverse, it worked so I don't think we tapped into the wrong wiring.

It's a 12V Cam using this harness: http://www.autoharnesshouse.com/19867.html
Old 01-26-2015, 10:27 PM   #4
Danklvr

well the subaru h/u does differ from the fr-s's in that the brz h/u does not need to see attached camera plugged in and powered on bootup, whereas the fr-s h/u does.

if your wiring is working fine on the brz, either the harness isn't plugged in to the fr-s h/u all the way, the fr-s has a bent pin on the h/u, or you wired power to camera off tail lamp power signal, which it doesn't sound like you did if you ran to the power wire from the harness, or any constant 12v power wire

have you tried another fr-s h/u?

Old 01-26-2015, 10:42 PM   #5
IDFWU 420
Honarary Member

Quote:
well the subaru h/u does differ from the fr-s's in that the brz h/u does not need to see attached camera plugged in and powered on bootup, whereas the fr-s h/u does.

if your wiring is working fine on the brz, either the harness isn't plugged in to the fr-s h/u all the way, the fr-s has a bent pin on the h/u, or you wired power to camera off tail lamp power signal, which it doesn't sound like you did if you ran to the power wire from the harness, or any constant 12v power wire

have you tried another fr-s h/u?
That's interesting that you tell me it differs like that..

I'll see if I can find what's wrong, but in the meantime, I just sent you a PMed!

Also, couldn't get a hold of another Frs Stock touchscreen HU... but I doubt it has to do anything with my original headunit.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:01 AM   #6
zeal86

Drives:
Thanked 1,819 Times in 881 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Curious as to which harness or back-up camera kit you purchased? I have installed the Roadshop kit so I'm familiar with it.

Here is some detailed info about the operation of the back-up camera. Hope this helps you in some way.

http://ae64.com/Rear-camera-16p-operation.htm

projekt zeal86 build
zeal86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:11 AM   #7
IDFWU 420
Honarary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeal86 View Post
Curious as to which harness or back-up camera kit you purchased? I have installed the Roadshop kit so I'm familiar with it.

Here is some detailed info about the operation of the back-up camera. Hope this helps you in some way.

http://ae64.com/Rear-camera-16p-operation.htm

projekt zeal86 build
Please read above as to see which harness I purchased.
Only reason why I didn't get the harness from ae64's site was because he took about 3 business days to respond back, since then waiting, I had already found another website to purchase it from.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:22 AM   #8
zeal86

Drives:
Thanked 1,819 Times in 881 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDFWU 420 View Post
Please read above as to see which harness I purchased.
Only reason why I didn't get the harness from ae64's site was because he took about 3 business days to respond back, since then waiting, I had already found another website to purchase it from.
Sorry I missed that... I have seen that harness online before. The difference between that harness and the Roadshop harness I used is the relay. I tapped into accessory power at the factory harness. Relay was not needed in my install. Perhaps you could try tapping the accessory power instead of using the relay.

Btw, I have a 2014 Monogram.

projekt zeal86 build
zeal86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:24 AM   #9
Siby_86

Drives: 2014 Raven Monogram
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I actually just completed the backup camera install on my Monogram FR-S about a week ago with the Rydeen Duo and the autoharnesshouse harness. I didn't run into any issues with the harness or installation when I followed the directions on the site. Specifically making sure to have the reverse trigger wire properly wired per http://www.autoharnesshouse.com/19867_add.html.

Sorry for the less than thorough response, I'm at work at the moment. If you're still having problems I'll post a more thorough response when I get off tonight. GL!
Siby_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:13 PM   #10
SVXdc
Radio wiring harness guru

Drives: 1996 SVX L AWD
IDFWU 420-

Sorry I wasn't able to reply to your inquiry in time.

You really need to determine how to access your OEM HU's diagnostic screens, so you can verify that it's actually seeing the reverse gear signal.

autoharnesshouse offers an extra wire with terminal to add the reverse gear signal to cars that didn't have the factory wire (such as FR-S). Did you add that? The terminals they use are Chinese. They are not the proper Japanese terminal for the connector housings that Subaru and Toyota/Scion use. It will mostly work, but potentially won't seat fully or properly. That could cause intermittent problems. Perhaps when you switched to your friend's BRZ HU that terminal makes contact, but with your HU it doesn't? (I know, low likelihood that it would consistently fail with your HU and not his).

The other thing to check is whether your HU is successfully powering the relay. The HU will do that for several seconds at each boot up, regardless of whether the reverse gear signal is connected, and regardless of whether the HU sees video from the camera. It's possible that your Scion's HU isn't able to supply enough current for the relay they used, and/or that your HU's 6V camera power output has gone bad.

Yet another test is to temporarily power the camera from 12V ACC (so it's on all the time your key is on, bypassing the relay). See if that makes your HU happy.

All of that should help narrow down the problem.

BTW, what are the model numbers on your Scion's OEM HU (model printed on front, and Toyota and manufacturer's #s on label on top)?
Old 01-27-2015, 05:14 PM   #11
SVXdc
Radio wiring harness guru

Drives: 1996 SVX L AWD
Quote:
That is not correct. The BRZ Fujitsu Ten nav HUs check for camera video signal each boot up, just as the other Toyota/Scion models do.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:07 PM   #12
Danklvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXdc View Post
That is not correct. The BRZ Fujitsu Ten nav HUs check for camera video signal each boot up, just as the other Toyota/Scion models do.
i stand corrected