follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 08-15-2010, 01:46 AM   #1
Franisco

Drives: D31a
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Mitsubishi

So lately I've been thinking about Mitsubishi and how their line-up has really stagnated. So I brainstormed a few ideas and I'd like to hear your opinions on them.
Ignoring the Galant for now, I think updating the Eclipse is one of the first things they need to do. They really lack a baby model. The Eclipse has gained weight and gotten huge externally, while remaining relatively small on the inside. Long story short, I think they could have a marketable auto if they would reduce it back to what it was back in the late 90's.
The base would be FWD and the GT/GL models would be AWD. With the price and ridiculous amount of options they give today the 4G Eclipse is compared to the Accord Coupe..

I also thought I'd throw in an FT competitor. Could model it somewhat after the Mitsubishi FTO we never got in the US..RWD of course.

I left out quite a few options, but I guess I thought the ones I put were the most important. What do you guys think?
Franisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:57 AM   #2
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,097 Times in 8,333 Posts
Mentioned: 678 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Yeah 90's Eclipse (GSX ver) was awesome. Current Eclipse is a bit boring...
Old 08-15-2010, 02:07 AM   #3
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Wasn't the FTO traditionally a tiny V6?

As for the Eclipse coming back hardcore, what about the Evo then? I think how they've placed the two right now probably works good. Performance people realize that they don't need a 2 door coupe and big motor to be fast. Those that want style and larger 'more powerful' engine (that's a joke) can get the Eclipse. Plus they added the Lancer Ralliart as a lower level Evo-type car.

In all honesty I think they're doing a lot better than Toyota from a performance image... Come to think about it Kia's probably doing better than Toyota from a performance image...

I'm sorry, Toyota! But it's true! Please hurry up on the FT/R-86/S.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:55 AM   #4
Franisco

They did have a 2L six.

Instead of trying to make the Eclipse live up to these luxury competitors it will be placed alongside the Honda Civic coupe, Honda Civic Si coupe, and the Scion TC. These models start at around $16,000 and they have about the same features as the current Eclipse. The main difference between Mitsubishi’s current Eclipse and these three cars is the price.

The overall structure of the Eclipse body should be scaled down to less than 2850lbs. The exterior body could reflect the new market slot by becoming more like the second generation Eclipse, while still reflecting Mitsubishi’s forward progress in the newer design grill. The exterior should shrink while the 2+2 interior space is increased to come closer to the size of the Civic and TC. The suspension could be Macpherson struts in the front and multi-link in the rear. This should keep development and production costs low while still providing a sporty performance and feel.
The Honda Civic and Scion TC engines produce 140 horsepower and 160 horsepower, respectively. The extra punch will aid the base Eclipse in the power tests and yet still provide adequate gas mileage. The more powerful engine in the GT and GL will provide the extra grunt to be competitive with the Civic Si’s 200 horsepower engine. A basic five-speed manual and four-speed automatic could be available on the base Eclipse, while the GT and GL models could receive a six-speed manual and Sportronic option. The six-speed in the top trims will provide increased gas mileage while retaining quick acceleration times.
The overall image and mechanical choices of the Eclipse could return to what they once were like in the second generation car. The current price tag, big weight, and powerful engine choices are placing the fourth generation Eclipse in the wrong market entirely. Streamlining the automobile will make it a better fit for the younger demographic that typically purchase this car now.
Their image may not be that bad, but they still are far from financially flourishing.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:08 AM   #5
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franisco View Post
They did have a 2L six.

Instead of trying to make the Eclipse live up to these luxury competitors it will be placed alongside the Honda Civic coupe, Honda Civic Si coupe, and the Scion TC. These models start at around $16,000 and they have about the same features as the current Eclipse. The main difference between Mitsubishi’s current Eclipse and these three cars is the price.

The overall structure of the Eclipse body should be scaled down to less than 2850lbs. The exterior body could reflect the new market slot by becoming more like the second generation Eclipse, while still reflecting Mitsubishi’s forward progress in the newer design grill. The exterior should shrink while the 2+2 interior space is increased to come closer to the size of the Civic and TC. The suspension could be Macpherson struts in the front and multi-link in the rear. This should keep development and production costs low while still providing a sporty performance and feel.
The Honda Civic and Scion TC engines produce 140 horsepower and 160 horsepower, respectively. The extra punch will aid the base Eclipse in the power tests and yet still provide adequate gas mileage. The more powerful engine in the GT and GL will provide the extra grunt to be competitive with the Civic Si’s 200 horsepower engine. A basic five-speed manual and four-speed automatic could be available on the base Eclipse, while the GT and GL models could receive a six-speed manual and Sportronic option. The six-speed in the top trims will provide increased gas mileage while retaining quick acceleration times.
The overall image and mechanical choices of the Eclipse could return to what they once were like in the second generation car. The current price tag, big weight, and powerful engine choices are placing the fourth generation Eclipse in the wrong market entirely. Streamlining the automobile will make it a better fit for the younger demographic that typically purchase this car now.
Their image may not be that bad, but they still are far from financially flourishing.

Hmmm... I see the Eclipse as a Solara, V6 Mustang, Accord coupe, competitor. I don't know if they need a youth-targeting sporty coupe (remembering that it is built on the Galant platform). I think their Lancer chain works pretty well for youth.

I've seen enough base Lancers (not Ralliarts, either) with aftermarket rims and the bumper/grille bar blacked out to know that the Evo is what brought the kids to the dealers. They get to see a lot of Evo images and then, if they can't afford the real one, can get something that looks just like it.

Hasn't Mitsubishi been making huge gains in the last 5 or so years?

Because titanium.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:47 AM   #6
Franisco

The main problem for me, is that those cars are mainly purchased by older people, yea? And on top of that, many older people think of Mitsubishi as almost a Scion brand; typically targeted to a younger buyer. They need to embrace this and really fill out the lower priced segment that they have been neglecting. Even bringing the Colt over wouldn't be a terrible idea.

Fair enough, I'll give you the Evo point; it is definitely their halo car. But I feel like this could be a great place for them to post higher MPG ratings to 1:help them with the new laws, and 2: place a sporty coupe in the line-up that would have a better chance of selling to their inherited market demographic.

Other than the release of the newest Lancer, which has helped boost sales here, most of their money is being made in Japan.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:39 AM   #7
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franisco View Post
The main problem for me, is that those cars are mainly purchased by older people, yea? And on top of that, many older people think of Mitsubishi as almost a Scion brand; typically targeted to a younger buyer. They need to embrace this and really fill out the lower priced segment that they have been neglecting. Even bringing the Colt over wouldn't be a terrible idea.

Fair enough, I'll give you the Evo point; it is definitely their halo car. But I feel like this could be a great place for them to post higher MPG ratings to 1:help them with the new laws, and 2: place a sporty coupe in the line-up that would have a better chance of selling to their inherited market demographic.

Other than the release of the newest Lancer, which has helped boost sales here, most of their money is being made in Japan.
Just Googled 'Mitsubishi Colt JDM' and got this:

Mitsubishi Colt Ralliart Version-R Recaro Edition (image link just changes to a site banner when I post...)

Turbo 1.5l 154hp $18k Australian (whatever that would be US or Canadian?). Plus 'normal'/economy versions of it. Not a bad idea at all...

Because titanium.

Last edited by Dimman; 08-15-2010 at 04:43 AM. Reason: Pic link didn't work...
Old 08-15-2010, 09:34 AM   #8
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,097 Times in 8,333 Posts
Mentioned: 678 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
Mitsubishi Colt Ralliart Version-R Recaro Edition (image link just changes to a site banner when I post...)
Here you go

Old 08-15-2010, 11:44 AM   #9
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Simply put, the Eclipse should have been built on the Lancer/Evo platform. Stupid decisions like that is why Mitsubishi are broke.

For an FT competitor, why not just bring back the Starion nameplate?
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:26 PM   #10
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRacing_F1 View Post
Simply put, the Eclipse should have been built on the Lancer/Evo platform. Stupid decisions like that is why Mitsubishi are broke.

For an FT competitor, why not just bring back the Starion nameplate?
I think Mitsubishi was playing 'follow the leader', and doing the same thing that Toyota did with the Solara, going after older people.

Starion was Supra/Z competitor. (Even if it was a 4 banger, it was a BIG 4 banger.)

I'm thinking the problem with the companies and their sports models is people like me. I love Supras. But I never bought one new. Therefore as much as I love the car, Toyota has no interest in me as they won't make money off me. All people like me do is help out the used resale value of the cars we like.

I think Mitsubishi had the same problem with the last 'good' Eclipse, so they re-did it for people who they think will buy it off the dealer's lot, instead of waiting for someone else to take the depreciation hit.

I killed the Supra!

Because titanium.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:34 PM   #11
Matador
hashiryu

The Supra was barely coming into existence when the starion debuted i.e. It was still a celica).

I know perfectly well that it was more GT than nimble sports car, but it hasn't been built in so long I don't think it'd matter. The trick is, it's the only mitsu rwd car of significant importance.

The RX-7 once upon a time wasn't a Supra/Z class car either.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:47 PM   #12
Franisco

Fair enough, the Starion would work too. I just picked the FTO because if they were going take some design cues from the original model I think the FTO is a little more attractive.

"I think Mitsubishi had the same problem with the last 'good' Eclipse, so they re-did it for people who they think will buy it off the dealer's lot, instead of waiting for someone else to take the depreciation hit."
But with the way people are buying smaller more fuel efficient cars now, don't you think I could fair better than the last go around?
Old 08-15-2010, 04:06 PM   #13
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRacing_F1 View Post
The Supra was barely coming into existence when the starion debuted i.e. It was still a celica).

I know perfectly well that it was more GT than nimble sports car, but it hasn't been built in so long I don't think it'd matter. The trick is, it's the only mitsu rwd car of significant importance.

The RX-7 once upon a time wasn't a Supra/Z class car either.
Come to think of it, they all sort of were long, long ago. FB and 240Z were direct competitors, and genuine sports cars. Old Celica I don't know too much about. Would the old 22R GT-S have been an FB or 240Z rival. Later 280ZX competitor would be the Mk2 Celica/Supra? They all kind of 'grew up' together.

Back to roots time... If this FT/R-86/S ignites an entry level, grassroots sports car battle between the manufacturers things could get pretty awesome.

Because titanium.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:50 PM   #14
Matador
hashiryu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
Come to think of it, they all sort of were long, long ago. FB and 240Z were direct competitors, and genuine sports cars. Old Celica I don't know too much about. Would the old 22R GT-S have been an FB or 240Z rival. Later 280ZX competitor would be the Mk2 Celica/Supra? They all kind of 'grew up' together.

Back to roots time... If this FT/R-86/S ignites an entry level, grassroots sports car battle between the manufacturers things could get pretty awesome.

Exxxaaaaaaccctttly. Only thing is an SX/S/Silvia would have to take the place of the Z. Too far gone. Not Sure about the RX-7.

The First gen celicas would have been FB and Z competitors, however, I think the Z grew up the fastest out of all of them, and hence why the gen 2 gen celica (Celica Supra mk I) came to be around the time that the 260 was on its way out and the 280Z/280ZX were on their way in.