follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-23-2012, 09:41 PM   #1
mauricio

Drives: whiteout 6mt
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I had a shot at an fr-s today

I went by a dealer in miami and found a white fr-s up for sale. It was manual just like I wanted and was fully loaded with the bespoke radio etc. So the price was around 27k, basically 28k. That's okay, however under the price there was a section labeled market price and added 6k+ to the price. That left the car at 35k almost. I left because I really didn't think that could possibly be the price, that's 10k over msrp on a "pure price" car. I asked the salesman and of course he said they will all have that and always will, he showed me the corollas have like a 2k market price added on to them in the sticker as well. I've never bought a new car, just used ones and have always had relatively good deals. Is this a normal thing? Sorry at the expense of sounding like a new guy but new car buying is new to me....so I figured I'd ask the only people in the country that have bought the car.

And yes, I'm new but have been following this website for about a year now, not to mention the car since the original toyota / subaru fiasco.

BTW that was all without adding tax, title and tag etc...
mauricio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mauricio For This Useful Post:
Guff (05-23-2012)
Old 05-23-2012, 09:44 PM   #2
rcm47

Drives: 13’ FRS (traded), 18’ CWP BRZ tS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Yeah a lot of shady dealers out there. I hope they won't be the reason for this cars downfall.
rcm47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:45 PM   #3
typezer0

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I called the same dealer and they told me it was a first 86 car and the guy that won it walked away from it. Now I understand why.

I have a deposit down at kendall toyota hopefully they won't pull the same bs.
typezer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to typezer0 For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (05-23-2012)
Old 05-23-2012, 10:01 PM   #4
Smitty_89

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
just to clarify..."pure price" is that you pay the advertised sticker price NOT the MSRP for the car. So dealers can mark up the car and sell it at that advertised price. However, they would be stupid to do this because of the competition and the availability of scion dealerships. There are plenty of FR-S' to go around for everyone, even if you have to wait a month it is absurd to pay a mark up. Just walk away and go to another dealership where they are not marking it up. There are plenty out there.
Smitty_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:09 PM   #5
blu_

Drives: SWP BRZ LTD
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Which is why "pure pricing" is kind of a joke.

In theory it should make the purchasing process easier, but in reality it just gives more power to the dealership.
blu_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:10 PM   #6
rcm47

Drives: 13’ FRS (traded), 18’ CWP BRZ tS
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty_89 View Post
just to clarify..."pure price" is that you pay the advertised sticker price NOT the MSRP for the car. So dealers can mark up the car and sell it at that advertised price. However, they would be stupid to do this because of the competition and the availability of scion dealerships. There are plenty of FR-S' to go around for everyone, even if you have to wait a month it is absurd to pay a mark up. Just walk away and go to another dealership where they are not marking it up. There are plenty out there.
IMO pure price means nothing. It's useless label that shady dealers fall back on to lure suckers.
rcm47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:15 PM   #7
MTeator
First 86

All pure price means is you can't negotiate.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #8
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,344 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauricio View Post
I went by a dealer in miami
What dealer is this? Headquarter or Lehman? Can you test drive it?
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:26 PM   #9
raphymartinez

Drives: 2013 FR-S
As much as I HATE dealers like this... if they can get someone dumb enough to pay a 10k markup over msrp on a Scion then more power to em.

I heard of a dealership in Miami that has a $1,200 DOC fee and people pay it like it's normal. Makes me wonder, does money grow on these palm trees they have down there?
Old 05-23-2012, 10:43 PM   #10
SixSpeed

Drives: '14 Toyota Corolla S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by typezer0 View Post
I called the same dealer and they told me it was a first 86 car and the guy that won it walked away from it. Now I understand why.

I have a deposit down at kendall toyota hopefully they won't pull the same bs.
Hold up! By any chance, are you talking about Headquarter Toyota? Because I was gonna check out that car this week!
SixSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:54 PM   #11
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,130 Times in 1,195 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauricio View Post
I went by a dealer in miami and found a white fr-s up for sale. It was manual just like I wanted and was fully loaded with the bespoke radio etc. So the price was around 27k, basically 28k. That's okay, however under the price there was a section labeled market price and added 6k+ to the price. That left the car at 35k almost. I left because I really didn't think that could possibly be the price, that's 10k over msrp on a "pure price" car. I asked the salesman and of course he said they will all have that and always will, he showed me the corollas have like a 2k market price added on to them in the sticker as well. I've never bought a new car, just used ones and have always had relatively good deals. Is this a normal thing? Sorry at the expense of sounding like a new guy but new car buying is new to me....so I figured I'd ask the only people in the country that have bought the car.

And yes, I'm new but have been following this website for about a year now, not to mention the car since the original toyota / subaru fiasco.

BTW that was all without adding tax, title and tag etc...
You should have laughed in the salesman's face. Wait a month, there will be plenty out there...
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:57 PM   #12
blackmr2

Drives: black mr2 turbo
i just came back from the dealership in jax as all the jax fl dealers are getting theirs in already and they all added 5000 to the price for "market adjustment" saying that they are rare and everyone wants one. i threw a fit and some dumb kid bought it for 31000, for that i might as well get a 2013 genesis rspec 2.0t i was offered that for 27500 out the door.

only one dealer had it for 27,900 but he added some many dealer add on crap like toyotaguard 699, emergency tow assitance 299, etc., to jack up the price. to be honest it turned me off, i think i am just gonna go get the genesis coupe tommorrow.
blackmr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:59 PM   #13
typezer0

Yes sir. I've spoken to or visited every scion dealer in miami-dade. The only 2 that knew anything about the frs was headquarter scion and kendall scion. So if you're interested in putting down a deposit I'd get in contact with one of those dealers.
typezer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:06 PM   #14
fistpoint

Drives: Supercharged Golf Cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTeator View Post
All pure price means is you can't negotiate.
But Pure Price does all the negotiation for you!!! Instead of paying $1400 over invoice, you only pay $1200.

See, they negotiated a whopping $200 off for you with zero effort. Of course we all know even a moron with a 2 digit IQ could negotiate way more than $200 off. Fuck you Scion, fuck you very much.
And, for all those who assured us that Pure Pricing DID in fact mean MSRP...HA-ha! We told you it didn't.

Yes I'm still going to check them out and consider buying one. My only other option is to wait for the BRZ to be sold at or near invoice, which most likely won't happen anytime soon.
fistpoint is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
msrp, price