follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 04-29-2014, 10:11 PM   #1
jobe1022

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Induction Charger install for Center console

A wireless charger for the console in the center coin holder.

Here is what you will need.
Scion FR-S Console Plate, Black/Red, FT86
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CXAPVEK/ref=ox_ya_os_product_refresh_T1"]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CXAPVEK/ref=ox_ya_os_product_refresh_T1[/ame]
PowerBotŪ PB1020 Qi Enabled Wireless Charger Inductive Charging Pad
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F6SPZWO/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F6SPZWO/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]
Hot Glue Gun
Nail File or Sand paper with a block

1. Take apart the Powerbot by with a small flat head screw driver. Its rather easy and will pop open .
2. Fit the powerboat pcb to the center console with the USB plug facing forward.
3. The PCB is just larger ten the console. You will need to file the edges of so that it fits into the console.
3. Once the PC is the right size you will need to hot glue the powerbot pcb to the underside of the console plate you order with the coil facing upwards.
4. You will need to cut out a small section on the console for the USB wire to go through for power.
5. Connect the wire to a power source. (I used the Glove Box Accessory plug with a USB adapter on it.)
6. Fasten down the center console plate to the center console with double sided tape or hot glue. (I personally am thinking of using sugru)

Its a rather simple install. I'm still polishing off my own install but I am very happy with the way it came out so far,
Attached Images

jobe1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jobe1022 For This Useful Post:
sc0urge (05-09-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 10:14 PM   #2
brianhj

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Is it magnetized?
brianhj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:27 PM   #3
jobe1022

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Not this one. But I plan on cutting up non slip phone mats in someway to secure the phone. I'm not sure if I can use a magnet to hold the phone . I'll have to look into it. This is still a work in progress.
jobe1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:46 PM   #4
mashal
DADA

Drives: 2013
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
OR....

Use a phone charger plugged into the USB.

Nice Job however
mashal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mashal For This Useful Post:
iniguez310 (05-01-2014), SirBrass (04-30-2014), wparsons (05-01-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 06:09 PM   #5
marcoaferrer

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
very f-ing nice. looking forward as to how this ends up turning out. Might have to do this mod myself.
marcoaferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:45 AM   #6
draggin_az
Small penis big dreams

Drives: '13 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
im a fan
370hp on E-85
draggin_az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:07 PM   #7
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
So, how is this going to work when the vehicle is moving? Even a mild corner is going to send the phone flying.

Ask me how I know.

Now, an induction charger on a mount.... THAT'D be nice , especially for those of us connecting to the headunit only by bluetooth. No more cords!

But the center console has no way to physically restrain the phone from shifting about and going flying into either footwell. Trust me, even with a non-slip surface, it's going to go flying. Happened to my phone multiple times when I had my STI (the mission console below the HVAC controls had a tray with a non-slip surface, and the tray even had bolstering around it to keep things from flying out... phone still managed to go flying out when I took even a normal corner just slightly faster than "grandma" speed. coins stayed in fine. phone did not).

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:17 PM   #8
codesplice
Elite Recognized Geek

Drives: 2014 DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrass View Post
Now, an induction charger on a mount.... THAT'D be nice , especially for those of us connecting to the headunit only by bluetooth. No more cords!
On that note, I received my Air Dock yesterday - an induction charger car mount thing with a magical microsuction surface that holds my phone quite solidly. I'm currently trying it with the CD Mount so that I don't have to stick something else to my windshield (and so that my phone is in easy reach without being in the way).

I'm super-pleased so far.
This post is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places, and incidents either are the product of the poster's imagination or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, business establishments, events, or locales is entirely coincidental.
G+
codesplice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codesplice For This Useful Post:
SirBrass (05-01-2014)
Old 05-01-2014, 02:21 PM   #9
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Garage
Most induction solutions I'm seeing use their own case with the phone. No go for me. I have an otterbox commuter case and I will NOT use something else. That case has saved my phone multiple times from accidental drops or face plants. No screen cracks, no immediately bricked phone from internal damage from the shock of a drop.

Now, if they come up with an induction charger reciever that replaces the OEM back plate of a phone without overly increasing thickness.... I'll go for it.

Till then, I ain't giving up my otterbox case

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
Old 05-01-2014, 02:25 PM   #10
codesplice
Elite Recognized Geek

Quote:
Most induction solutions I'm seeing use their own case with the phone. No go for me. I have an otterbox commuter case and I will NOT use something else. That case has saved my phone multiple times from accidental drops or face plants. No screen cracks, no immediately bricked phone from internal damage from the shock of a drop.

Now, if they come up with an induction charger reciever that replaces the OEM back plate of a phone without overly increasing thickness.... I'll go for it.

Till then, I ain't giving up my otterbox case
I'm sure you've mentioned it, but what phone do you use?
This post is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places, and incidents either are the product of the poster's imagination or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, business establishments, events, or locales is entirely coincidental.
G+
Old 05-01-2014, 02:30 PM   #11
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by codesplice View Post
I'm sure you've mentioned it, but what phone do you use?
I actually don't think I've mentioned it before.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
Old 05-01-2014, 02:38 PM   #12
codesplice
Elite Recognized Geek

Quote:
I actually don't think I've mentioned it before.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3.
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/PowerBot-PB1140-S3-Standard-Compatible-Inductive/dp/B00G9WEIM4/ref=pd_cp_cps_3]This[/ame] may do what you need. Fits (tightly) under the factory rear cover. It may cause a slight bulge which could get in the way of the Otterbox case fitting correctly, but I've seen a few folks mention that you can just leave the rear cover off and it will then fit in the case just fine.
G+
Old 05-01-2014, 05:04 PM   #13
t.chk

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by codesplice View Post
On that note, I received my Air Dock yesterday - an induction charger car mount thing with a magical microsuction surface that holds my phone quite solidly. I'm currently trying it with the CD Mount so that I don't have to stick something else to my windshield (and so that my phone is in easy reach without being in the way).

I'm super-pleased so far.
So if your phone already has a Qi charger built into it (droid DNA) would it still..adhere to that cellular holder thing?
t.chk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:18 PM   #14
codesplice
Elite Recognized Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.chk View Post
So if your phone already has a Qi charger built into it (droid DNA) would it still..adhere to that cellular holder thing?
Most likely. The microsuction pad will adhere best to a phone with a glossy (or at least smooth) back. I'm not familiar enough with the Droid DNA to know for sure if it meets that requirement. If not, sticking it in a thin, smooth case would be a good solution to make it work.

My Nexus 4 has a (silly) glass back, so it sticks like glue.

There's some more information on the Air Dock FAQ page which addresses what phones are known to work well with the dock. Maybe reading through that would help you decide how well it would work for your phone.
G+
The Following User Says Thank You to codesplice For This Useful Post:
t.chk (05-01-2014)

Tags
charger, induction, wireles