follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 04-21-2014, 04:55 PM   #1
fooddude
Banned

Drives: 04 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Reg Cab
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
INEXPENSIVE Torque Wrench suggestions

I've had a Husky from Home Depot that's maybe 18'ish years old. It seems like it works, but I am unsure if it is accurate and in-calibration anymore, nor do I know how to check and adjust it. It's like new, always in the plastic case and always stored at the lowest setting, very well maintained. I haven't really used it for 6+ years (been outta the car game a long time); but I checked it on lugs and other random supension bolts and it seems to work very well still. Idk if I should get a new one.

Recommendations welcome.

I notice there's all these new electronic ones, like Craftsman, etc. Those electronic ones any good, and do those always stay in-calibration?
fooddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:29 PM   #2
cnk

Drives: '13 DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Believe it or not the Harbor Freight ones are pretty good. The guys over on the garagejournal.com forums have tested their accuracy and they speak pretty highly of them.
cnk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cnk For This Useful Post:
amram (04-25-2014), idanvan (04-28-2014), sshole (04-22-2014), Tainen (04-22-2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 06:32 PM   #3
samisons

Drives: 2013 Raven Fr-s, 2013 Versa Sedan
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Check Crafts man I got one for around 40 and its been great
samisons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:39 PM   #4
Dooley
Banned

Drives: Asphalt
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnk View Post
Believe it or not the Harbor Freight ones are pretty good. The guys over on the garagejournal.com forums have tested their accuracy and they speak pretty highly of them.
This is true. I'm in the wheel repair industry and it's actually very common for all of our mobile units to use these. We purchase them by the dozen.
Dooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:56 PM   #5
supramkivtt2jz
PROUD OF BOXER

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
like all calibrated tools, there is a specific duty range they are most accurate in. according to garagejournal.com's forums, the HF wrenches have a 10% error at their farthest operating values. I might use a 1/2" HF torque wrench, but I would rather use a more accurate wrench for finer work.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=184550
Old 04-21-2014, 08:06 PM   #6
cnk

Quote:
Originally Posted by supramkivtt2jz View Post
like all calibrated tools, there is a specific duty range they are most accurate in. according to garagejournal.com's forums, the HF wrenches have a 10% error at their farthest operating values. I might use a 1/2" HF torque wrench, but I would rather use a more accurate wrench for finer work.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=184550
Honestly, you shouldn't be using a tool at the farthest operating ranges anyways. All torque wrenches will have higher derivations towards their upper and lower ranges. That's why you should get multiple torque wrenches that span different torque ranges so that you are always in the middle of the range. With the HF wrenches, they are cheap enough that you can get 3 wrenches to cover all your needs for under $40.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cnk For This Useful Post:
amram (04-25-2014), Model Citizen (04-21-2014), SirBrass (04-29-2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 08:12 PM   #7
Model Citizen
Lacking brains

Drives: frz
^

I have several sizes. For a grand total of what was probably <$50
Model Citizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:35 PM   #8
supramkivtt2jz
PROUD OF BOXER

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnk View Post
Honestly, you shouldn't be using a tool at the farthest operating ranges anyways. All torque wrenches will have higher derivations towards their upper and lower ranges. That's why you should get multiple torque wrenches that span different torque ranges so that you are always in the middle of the range. With the HF wrenches, they are cheap enough that you can get 3 wrenches to cover all your needs for under $40.
the problem with budget clicker wrenches is that they loose calibration over a short period of time due to inelastic deformation of the spring. quality wrenches should also be able to handle 80-90% of their rated load with 2-6% error. I prefer to use different tools - you can use whatever you want.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/12...rque-wrenches/

Old 04-21-2014, 09:38 PM   #9
cnk

Quote:
Originally Posted by supramkivtt2jz View Post
the problem with budget clicker wrenches is that they loose calibration over a short period of time due to inelastic deformation of the spring. quality wrenches should also be able to handle 80-90% of their rated load with 2-6% error. I prefer to use different tools - you can use whatever you want.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/12...rque-wrenches/

I've read that article and IIRC it was also discussed in depth on the GJ forums as well. There are enough first hand accounts of the HF wrenches being accurate even after years of use and testing within tolerances that for a DIY'er you really can't get a better deal. Even the more expensive brands should be tested routinely based on their usage level if it's a critical part of your job. If you are using a torque wrench for extremely precise work, I would calibrate the thing every day before using it. I've spoken to many respected mechanics and most of them have no issue using HF torque wrenches and they've tested them without issues.

In the end, if you personally don't trust a tool, then don't use it. If the brand name tools give you the trust you seek, then the extra expense is justified by the peace of mind that it brings you. Do your own research and go with the tool you trust.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:05 PM   #10
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Went through 3 different brands settled on two new CDI 3/8 and 1/2". Very good compared the Snap On and Marcos I looked at and 1/3 the price.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:42 PM   #11
Tainen

Drives: First SWP BRZ-L
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
I also use the Harbor Freight models, after talking to my Father in Law about it, a cummins master trainer (he trains all of the cummins mechanics around the states). He told me that getting your torque wrenches re-calibrated by professionals usually costs more than a new harbor freight - and usually is a crapshoot anyway, since you might get the wrench back in worse shape than you got it. He told me most all of the guys use HF torque wrenches and just replace them whenever they get out of spec, and it's still quite a lot cheaper than buying name brand torque wrenches. These are wear items, and it's pretty painful to replace a name brand torque wrench...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tainen For This Useful Post:
amram (04-25-2014), SirBrass (04-29-2014)
Old 04-26-2014, 12:54 PM   #12
Katapaltes

Drives: Mazda currently
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ran over to HF to buy their little 20 - 200 *INCH* pound wrench after reading this thread. Needed to tighten some bolts on the valve cover gasket of my Protege5. The wrench was missing one of two screws on the head near the quarter-inch drive, which does not inspire confidence. I set the wrench to 75 inch pounds and it felt like I might be over-tightening, so I set it down to 20 inch pounds and it still wouldn't "click." I even tried it on some of the bolt heads on the body of the car. Nothing.

I've always been scared of torque wrenches allowing me to over-tighten things, and this experience didn't help. I ended up tightening the bolts 1/4 turn past hand-tightened and I'll check for leaks. Note: At 100k miles, these bolts had come loose on their own, and I was going to replace the valve cover gasket until I noticed I could spin them with my fingers. Apparently, this is a known issue with this engine.

P.S. Went to the local Subaru dealer last night and found a color on the BRZ I liked almost as much as the discontinued Galaxy/dark blue: graphite/dark grey. I'll see what the updated 2015 WR blue looks like and then probably buy.

Last edited by Katapaltes; 04-26-2014 at 01:01 PM. Reason: P.S.
Katapaltes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 02:36 PM   #13
fooddude
Banned

Drives: 04 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Reg Cab
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I've always been wary of anything from HF. I've been to that big store in oc a few times. An old acquaintance used to shop their for his tools and stuff back in the day..and I always thought he was a ghetto mechanic that didn't care about quality for using those type of ebay chinese made looking tools (his taste in car modifications was the same..ricey bodykit bondo stuff). I'll stick with craftsman at least.
fooddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 04:01 PM   #14
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
No matter what brand you buy, it's eventually going to need calibration.

Torque wrenches are very sensitive, a simple drop on the floor can ruin one. I've had a Craftsman one fell from a table, now it refuses to lock or unlock. Lovely.

Harborfreight is great for a lot of things, even more so for the weekend warrior, but when it comes to tool that can ruin your day...i might pass on that.