follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 05-15-2012, 09:49 AM   #1
df.dima

Drives: FR-S and Mazda 3 Sky
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My observation on new Toyotas while at the dealership

Just thought I'd share my thoughts on Toyota cars in general and maybe get some other people's thoughts. I'm coming from 03 maxima, while it isn't luxury by any means, maybe I got spoiled with its relatively simple, but pleasant enough interior.
While I was waiting for something at the dealership last day getting the fr-s I decided to go look at Toyotas in the showroom, as my wife wants something new. What I realized is that outside Toyotas look much better than inside, I'd say I like the external design for most Toyotas, but interiors are awfully underwhelming. I first got into a Corolla. It seemed pretty alright, space is nice, dash is simple, but something screams cheap. I also got surprised how fragile the vents feel (I can bend them with my finger), door unlock lever also felt like I can rip it out. A/C controls are POS. Not too bad for a cheap Toyota, but bla overall. Decent enough for 18k car with heated seats, ac and auto trans I guess. Then I got into a Sienna, out of curiosity of course, might be a candidate down the road. Space is very nice, but the front panel is horrible. Hard plastic dash, a whole lot of space taken, its like a bulge, but there's very few things like cup holders and glovebox, a/c stack and player, but it felt very naked. Same thing about vents, fragile as shit. I don't know if that car will survive kids attacking the interior. Next I sat in a Venza, which seemed quite nice inside, roomy backseat, slightly better interior, it had leather but man that leater feels paper thin. I don't know if its supposed to be that soft/thin, but I don't know how it will wear. I liked Venza the best as "family hauler", although its not as roomy as a van. Rav4 looked rugged, I tried to put the back seatbacks down and managed to jam/hurt my finger as they were folding. Felt really rough, I just did not go on to check it out inside anymore.
Overall I got really disappointed for some reason. You know whats funny is that I sat in an iQ and it seemed to have better interior or at least pretended to... Im just ranting I guess, I did not expect those kind of interiors. I don't know what is with Nissan/Honda these days in terms of that, but if many new Japanese cars are like that, I'm mighty disappointed. My 96 Altima felt better in some areas and although it looked dated, its dash wrapped vinyl and upper door parts, solid vents, solid a/c controls, felt nice to touch and survived my 10-12 years of abuse.

FR-S isn't greatest for a/c controls either, but somewhat better than corolla, maybe Im wrong. And the vents are definitely better than corolla, they are like Rav 4 circles, which felt solid enough. Other than that I have no beef with it, as its supposed to be minimallistic. I think I'd have a hard time buying an inexpensive new car these days... I hope the more expensive luxo japanese brands and germans offer nice interior, but at higher price. Don't get me wrong, I realize that I looked at lower end Corolla, but I just don't see much progress from say 10 years ago.
I just wasn't impressed, but suppose if we needed a cheap reliable car, it'd do. I wonder what the Korean competition is like in the people hauler segment.
Glad I don't have to pick a car anymore, since I got the FR-S.

That's all .
df.dima is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to df.dima For This Useful Post:
Guff (05-28-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 12:18 PM   #2
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by df.dima View Post
Just thought I'd share my thoughts on Toyota cars in general and maybe get some other people's thoughts. I'm coming from 03 maxima, while it isn't luxury by any means, maybe I got spoiled with its relatively simple, but pleasant enough interior.
While I was waiting for something at the dealership last day getting the fr-s I decided to go look at Toyotas in the showroom, as my wife wants something new. What I realized is that outside Toyotas look much better than inside, I'd say I like the external design for most Toyotas, but interiors are awfully underwhelming. I first got into a Corolla. It seemed pretty alright, space is nice, dash is simple, but something screams cheap. I also got surprised how fragile the vents feel (I can bend them with my finger), door unlock lever also felt like I can rip it out. A/C controls are POS. Not too bad for a cheap Toyota, but bla overall. Decent enough for 18k car with heated seats, ac and auto trans I guess. Then I got into a Sienna, out of curiosity of course, might be a candidate down the road. Space is very nice, but the front panel is horrible. Hard plastic dash, a whole lot of space taken, its like a bulge, but there's very few things like cup holders and glovebox, a/c stack and player, but it felt very naked. Same thing about vents, fragile as shit. I don't know if that car will survive kids attacking the interior. Next I sat in a Venza, which seemed quite nice inside, roomy backseat, slightly better interior, it had leather but man that leater feels paper thin. I don't know if its supposed to be that soft/thin, but I don't know how it will wear. I liked Venza the best as "family hauler", although its not as roomy as a van. Rav4 looked rugged, I tried to put the back seatbacks down and managed to jam/hurt my finger as they were folding. Felt really rough, I just did not go on to check it out inside anymore.
Overall I got really disappointed for some reason. You know whats funny is that I sat in an iQ and it seemed to have better interior or at least pretended to... Im just ranting I guess, I did not expect those kind of interiors. I don't know what is with Nissan/Honda these days in terms of that, but if many new Japanese cars are like that, I'm mighty disappointed. My 96 Altima felt better in some areas and although it looked dated, its dash wrapped vinyl and upper door parts, solid vents, solid a/c controls, felt nice to touch and survived my 10-12 years of abuse.

FR-S isn't greatest for a/c controls either, but somewhat better than corolla, maybe Im wrong. And the vents are definitely better than corolla, they are like Rav 4 circles, which felt solid enough. Other than that I have no beef with it, as its supposed to be minimallistic. I think I'd have a hard time buying an inexpensive new car these days... I hope the more expensive luxo japanese brands and germans offer nice interior, but at higher price. Don't get me wrong, I realize that I looked at lower end Corolla, but I just don't see much progress from say 10 years ago.
I just wasn't impressed, but suppose if we needed a cheap reliable car, it'd do. I wonder what the Korean competition is like in the people hauler segment.
Glad I don't have to pick a car anymore, since I got the FR-S.

That's all .
Models from a few years ago affected by cost cutting, so even I don't expect good interior and interior design. They look cheap inside, and bland hard plastic is everywhere. You probably have to check out Land Cruiser and refreshed Highlander (and maybe New Avalon) because they are really nice, especially 80K Land Cruiser.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:09 PM   #3
WRXGuy1

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
It seems that all auto manufacturers are going this route unfortunately. I was in my friends $50K 2012 F-150 and is had solid, hard plastic all over the inside and outside, it screamed cheap. Now on the flip side I love the interior of my 2011 Legacy, even though it's plastic the texture/look/feel is much more upscale than the hard plastic I see on most cars these days.

As far as Toyota goes, I really don't like the styling of the new 4Runner, the old design looked a lot more rugged.

Last edited by WRXGuy1; 05-29-2012 at 07:34 AM.
WRXGuy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:55 PM   #4
blur
ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Drives: E36 5.7 V8
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXGuy1 View Post
I love the interior of my 2011 Legacy, even though it's plastic the texture/look/feel is much more upscale than the hard plastic I see on most cars these days.
+1, Forester too... Subaru has really nice interiors right now.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:35 PM   #5
random

Drives: Multiple
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
FWIW, when I sat in a BR-Z, I felt the interior materials also screamed cheap. The hard plastics were everywhere. My most hated part was the ceiling liner. It was that thin cardboard stuff that's thinly padded like what you'd typically find in the trunk. Except that this was the entire interior ceiling of the BR-Z. And when I raised my arm and put my hand on the ceiling to feel it, it felt like the entire ceiling gave way about half an inch.
random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:04 PM   #6
DEnd

Drives: anyone seen my steering wheel?
Quote:
Originally Posted by random View Post
FWIW, when I sat in a BR-Z, I felt the interior materials also screamed cheap. The hard plastics were everywhere. My most hated part was the ceiling liner. It was that thin cardboard stuff that's thinly padded like what you'd typically find in the trunk. Except that this was the entire interior ceiling of the BR-Z. And when I raised my arm and put my hand on the ceiling to feel it, it felt like the entire ceiling gave way about half an inch.
That's what 99% of all head-liners are made of. Actually the trunk stuff is generally "heavier duty" than head-liners.
DEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:04 PM   #7
random

Drives: Multiple
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEnd View Post
That's what 99% of all head-liners are made of. Actually the trunk stuff is generally "heavier duty" than head-liners.
Yes, and you've seen 99% of all cars...
random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:16 PM   #8
Asterisked Accolade
Pedals over Paddles.

Drives: Celica GT-S | 89 Supra | 07' Accent
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I've noticed that i've grown to hate Toyotas. I just hate how they look so cookie-cutter-like. There is nothing great about any of them-- they just look like transportation tools. There is no excitement, no sportiness, and they're overall just so joyless & beige; very much like newer Hondas. I own a Toyota Celica, but i feel like that was the last Toyota i ever liked (FRS aside.)
Asterisked Accolade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:21 PM   #9
Snoopyalien24
Mr. Sarcasm

Drives: 2016 VW Jetta TSI Sport 5-Speed
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by random View Post
Yeah forreal, you'll also hate the Lotus Elise/Exige! I mean c'mon! It doesn't even come with rugs or any part of the car carpeted! CHEAP

hehe lol
Snoopyalien24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:58 PM   #10
DEnd

Drives: anyone seen my steering wheel?
^ did you forget the spam link or something?

*post is now gone...

Last edited by DEnd; 06-17-2012 at 10:11 PM.
DEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DEnd For This Useful Post:
Exhaust (06-04-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 03:57 AM   #11
ritchelB
Banned

Drives: none
Well, we all know that Toyota had experienced great problems and recalls this past few years but the managed to recover. Tough they're not the number one best cars but they are still in the tops 10.
ritchelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:52 AM   #12
Exhaust
UCanThrottleMyBody

Drives: 2015 GM 370z Sport
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
I love my corolla....
Exhaust is offline   Reply With Quote