follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 03-17-2014, 10:44 AM   #1
Max1957

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited 2014
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
iPod Keeps resetting, hanging; etc... Anyone else seeing this

Hi Folks,
I've got a 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited (had it less than two months) and either I'm having a problem with the entertainment system, or the stock system has a crappy OS.
For me, I don't give a rat's tail about XM or Pandora or the others... FM is only used occasionally (if I can ever figure out how to program the stations - I know, RTFM...) Anyhow my main use of the entertainment system is my iPod.
I have an iPod Classic (2009 (160 GB) FW Ver: 2.0.4) that I store my MP3s on and listen to while I'm driving. I used this same iPod in my 2012 Honda Accord Coupe and had zero issues with it; but in the BRZ, I'm seeing situations where the iPod will freeze, or it will reset or when turned on (via the entertainment system) it will play, but there is no sound and sometimes it picks tracks from playlists I'm not even using. I have it set to shuffle songs which works as expected.
I've run diagnostics on the iPod and found no disk error or file system problems. At the recommendation of a posting on an iPod forum, I've taken to turning the iPod off via the entertainment system and disconnecting it from the USB cable before stopping the car's engine, then reconnecting the USB to the iPod 10 -15 seconds after starting the car. Still I am having trouble. I am seriously considering replacing the stock entertainment system headset for something (I hope) better - doing away with all the Navigation system, XM and other useless stuff.
At any rate, has anyone else seen this behavior?
Max1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:50 AM   #2
JDKane527

Drives: Asphalt Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
It's apple's surprise feature of making you buy a new iPod.

JK, I've had no luck trying to play music from my phone via USB to the bespoke head unit in my FRS, so I just load files onto a USB drive. The head units seem a little wonky.
Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-2014, 12:45 PM   #3
XanRules
A Very Powerful Wizard

Drives: 2014 BRZ LTD WRB (RIP), 2017 FiST
I have similar issues, also using a 160GB classic (though it's about a month old) on a 2014 Limited.
It routinely won't change tracks and won't search artists - I get "iPod error" and have to unplug it and re-plug it back in.
XanRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:01 PM   #4
kuhlka

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited AT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
My favorite feature is when my phone or iPod ditch the last song I was on and decides to start playing a random track from a completely different playlist, or no playlist at all. This happens at startup. No idea why they went with such a low spec head unit. Compared to my older AVIC-Z3 it's ridiculously slow and the bluetooth frequently takes 5-10 minutes to connect. Otherwise, it generally works okay and sounds decent with a 10" sub.
kuhlka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:07 PM   #5
XanRules
A Very Powerful Wizard

Drives: 2014 BRZ LTD WRB (RIP), 2017 FiST
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuhlka View Post
My favorite feature is when my phone or iPod ditch the last song I was on and decides to start playing a random track from a completely different playlist, or no playlist at all. This happens at startup. No idea why they went with such a low spec head unit. Compared to my older AVIC-Z3 it's ridiculously slow and the bluetooth frequently takes 5-10 minutes to connect. Otherwise, it generally works okay and sounds decent with a 10" sub.
Yeah, especially when the Canadian model gets that really nice Pioneer unit.
XanRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:41 PM   #6
wraithfive

Drives: BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max1957 View Post
Hi Folks,
I've got a 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited (had it less than two months) and either I'm having a problem with the entertainment system, or the stock system has a crappy OS.
For me, I don't give a rat's tail about XM or Pandora or the others... FM is only used occasionally (if I can ever figure out how to program the stations - I know, RTFM...) Anyhow my main use of the entertainment system is my iPod.
I have an iPod Classic (2009 (160 GB) FW Ver: 2.0.4) that I store my MP3s on and listen to while I'm driving. I used this same iPod in my 2012 Honda Accord Coupe and had zero issues with it; but in the BRZ, I'm seeing situations where the iPod will freeze, or it will reset or when turned on (via the entertainment system) it will play, but there is no sound and sometimes it picks tracks from playlists I'm not even using. I have it set to shuffle songs which works as expected.
I've run diagnostics on the iPod and found no disk error or file system problems. At the recommendation of a posting on an iPod forum, I've taken to turning the iPod off via the entertainment system and disconnecting it from the USB cable before stopping the car's engine, then reconnecting the USB to the iPod 10 -15 seconds after starting the car. Still I am having trouble. I am seriously considering replacing the stock entertainment system headset for something (I hope) better - doing away with all the Navigation system, XM and other useless stuff.
At any rate, has anyone else seen this behavior?
I haven't seen this issue precisely. But then again I use my iPhone rather than an iPod. However in my case the entire head unit will power off, then show the start up screen again and come back on.

At first I thought it was my old beat up (wires exposed and connector barely attached) lighting cable. I bought a brand new one and still have the same issue.
wraithfive is offline   Reply With Quote