follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 02-27-2014, 01:50 AM   #1
mokinbird87
BOXER FR

Drives: WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
custom (functional) side vent in progress

my goal:

UPDATE (3/14/14)
so, the clay piece is dried up and hard, but it looks like it does not match up to the fender so I will need to make a new one using proper automotive clay this time. I think it warped during the drying process. Good news is I got a quote from the 3D scanning company and they are only going to charge me $100 so as soon as I have the new clay piece I will have a digital reference of the clay model. I`ll keep you guys posted as this Saturday I should be able to work on this a bit more or at least order the clay.

UPDATE (3/9/14)
so, I have to test the overall fitment for the side vent, so the initial clay modeling happened today. I am going to get this clay model 3D scanned and then model the side vent the way I want based on the 3D scanned clay model, and then 3D print the prototype. if everything looks good on the prototype then I`m going to get a female part CNCed and then the fiberglassing will take place I have a full time job which requires me to travel quite often so it`s gonna be a very slow process, but I cant wait till I see this piece in my hand. sketches of how I plan on ducting the heat from the engine bay will come out by Wednesday so stay tuned.

UPDATE (3/11/14)
quick napkin sketch of what I have in my head. As always, please feel free to comment/feeback.

update (3/29/14)
more clay modeling.. this time with automotive clay. still needs more revision, but now the sun is going down.

this is the area that will change the most...

once I get the piece scanned in and bring it into CAD I`ll be able to make sure that every straight line is a straight line I think I`ll make the hole a bit smaller so I dont need to cut out such a large area out of my fender.

update 4/2/14
3D scanned the OEM side vent piece to reference in my CAD software.

update 4/4/14
CAD work begins this piece is actually a stupid complicated piece... so many curves on the surface

update 4/12/14
fresh off the oven cant wait till i check the fitment tomorrow morning

update 4/13/14
looks decent here...

but still got massive amount of work to do. wouldve surprised me more if I got it right the first time.

check out my other thread on custom diffuser!
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59202

thanks guys.

Andy

Last edited by mokinbird87; 04-13-2014 at 02:48 PM. Reason: update
mokinbird87 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mokinbird87 For This Useful Post:
bama_brz (07-18-2014), charged86 (03-24-2014), Creole (03-13-2014), cslntuee (03-12-2014), Shankenstein (07-22-2014)
Old 02-27-2014, 02:27 AM   #2
suaveflooder

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,052 Times in 664 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Can you put an LED turn signal in the middle please
suaveflooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:30 AM   #3
eddieEndo
Smokin on Dat Endo

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
interesting, subbred
Old 02-27-2014, 02:47 AM   #4
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Cool look forward to final piece.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:14 AM   #5
EvilBeaverFace
Not trying to be a ****

Drives: BRZ - 6MT - GBS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
If you need ideas maybe ask this guy
EvilBeaverFace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EvilBeaverFace For This Useful Post:
mokinbird87 (02-27-2014)
Old 02-27-2014, 03:20 AM   #6
BRZPDX
Boosted Member

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Garage
I need functional side vents..

SUV's: Mercedes Benz R500 '06, Mercedes Benz ML350 '12
BRZPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:34 AM   #7
FR-Slide

Drives: 13 Whiteout 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Damn, looks good. My to-do list keeps getting longer...

Any plans to make these or your diffuser project for the "masses"? Or at least to document your process?
FR-Slide is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-Slide For This Useful Post:
mokinbird87 (02-27-2014)
Old 02-27-2014, 12:30 PM   #8
mokinbird87
BOXER FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-Slide View Post
Damn, looks good. My to-do list keeps getting longer...

Any plans to make these or your diffuser project for the "masses"? Or at least to document your process?
the side vents for sure, diffuser is getting pricey really quickly but I am trying to figure out a product where you would just replace the OEM bumper and we would supply you the diffuser mounted on the OEM bumper with either a single exhaust exit or dual.

I have plans on getting the diffuser aero tested (as I will have the CAD before it goes on the CNC) and I`m still negotiating with my carbon fiber/fiberglass guy.

stay tuned
Old 02-27-2014, 12:52 PM   #9
FR-Slide

Definitely cool about the vents, I'd like to see something like that. I'd forego the LED signal for mine if that was an option, but I prefer to keep things simple when I can. Maybe just a CF overlay on the middle portion or something if you wanted contrast?

For the diffuser: When you say "replace the OEM bumper", do you mean the ENTIRE bumper cover? Or something like cutting out the grey plastic on the cover and leaving the body-color portion (since that's where it looks like most of the changes are occurring)?

The former is certainly more convenient to install and allows retention of the original cover, but would require paint matching (ugh). Whereas the latter would be far easier to ship and require less on-hand materials and whatnot for you, but require chopping of the OEM cover.

Just curious.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:32 PM   #10
mokinbird87
BOXER FR

Quote:
Definitely cool about the vents, I'd like to see something like that. I'd forego the LED signal for mine if that was an option, but I prefer to keep things simple when I can. Maybe just a CF overlay on the middle portion or something if you wanted contrast?

For the diffuser: When you say "replace the OEM bumper", do you mean the ENTIRE bumper cover? Or something like cutting out the grey plastic on the cover and leaving the body-color portion (since that's where it looks like most of the changes are occurring)?

The former is certainly more convenient to install and allows retention of the original cover, but would require paint matching (ugh). Whereas the latter would be far easier to ship and require less on-hand materials and whatnot for you, but require chopping of the OEM cover.

Just curious.
yea.. so we are still trying to figure out which way would be the least painful way for the installation. I dont see many guys willing to cut into their bumper so I thought supplying the entire bumper would be ok, and when I buy the oem bumper, it would already come with the shipping materials...

the diffuser is a bigger project and I want to do a quick fundraising thing with the side vents first and see how it goes, and then my team can put in more hours and $ into the diffuser (aero-testing, paint matching, etc).
Old 02-27-2014, 02:46 PM   #11
FR-Slide

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokinbird87 View Post
yea.. so we are still trying to figure out which way would be the least painful way for the installation. I dont see many guys willing to cut into their bumper so I thought supplying the entire bumper would be ok, and when I buy the oem bumper, it would already come with the shipping materials...

the diffuser is a bigger project and I want to do a quick fundraising thing with the side vents first and see how it goes, and then my team can put in more hours and $ into the diffuser (aero-testing, paint matching, etc).
Last thing I'll mention about the diffuser in here, since I don't want to derail this thread more than I have, but wouldn't you be attaching the diffuser underpanel to the rear bumper, essentially making one piece? One piece which would then (likely) not fit in the OEM packaging? Plus, you'd have to either keep stock of all colors or order the part once an order comes in, which would add lead time.

/rantoff

On topic - do you have an ETA and price point estimate for the vents?
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-Slide For This Useful Post:
mokinbird87 (02-27-2014)
Old 02-27-2014, 04:15 PM   #12
mokinbird87
BOXER FR

Quote:
Last thing I'll mention about the diffuser in here, since I don't want to derail this thread more than I have, but wouldn't you be attaching the diffuser underpanel to the rear bumper, essentially making one piece? One piece which would then (likely) not fit in the OEM packaging? Plus, you'd have to either keep stock of all colors or order the part once an order comes in, which would add lead time.

/rantoff

On topic - do you have an ETA and price point estimate for the vents?
Hahahaha no worries these are all real problems il have to solve so more options the better.

ETA on the side vents are within the next three months (personal goal) and I have to talk to my fiberglass guy to check on pricing. We will most likely have a regular fiberglass version and the aerospace quality carbon fiber that utilizes minimum amount of resin for maximum weight savings
Old 02-27-2014, 08:02 PM   #13
IgnitionGundam

Drives: Silver Ignition Gundam
This looks sweet!! But to have a functional side vent, will you need to cut into the fender? Where the water go when it rains? Will the metal vents rust?
Old 02-27-2014, 09:46 PM   #14
mokinbird87
BOXER FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnitionGundam View Post
This looks sweet!! But to have a functional side vent, will you need to cut into the fender? Where the water go when it rains? Will the metal vents rust?
I am going to 3D print a silicon tube that sits flush with the vent on the inside and duct it into the engine bay.

I dont think it totally solves the issue though.. wonder how BMW M3s and M5s do it...