follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 02-13-2014, 08:23 PM   #1
AZP Installs

Drives: '11 STi->'14 BRZ | '14 Touareg TDi
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to AZP Installs
Exclamation AZP Track Event: NJMP Lightning, June 2

I know there is about 20" of snow outside right now, but we've booked our first track event for the 2014 season. It will be a private track event where we will have extensive classroom and on track instruction along with a track walk given by Rolex 24 driver Pete McIntosh and Grand Am driver Aaron Povoledo! This year we were able to bring the cost down, but this will mean limited seats available so make sure to register early. It is a Monday so we will head down to the track on Sunday afternoon and then do a group dinner in town somewhere! Should be a blast as usual.

Here are the details.

Date: June 2, 2014
Run Groups: Novice and Advanced
Approximate Track Time: (4) 30 min sessions per group
Price: $295 for Novice Solo & Advanced Drivers, $315 for Novice w/Instructor
Format: (2) Track Walks, Classroom Sessions, In-car Instructors

This is not your typical HPDE day as we pride ourselves on small groups and lots of attention to both the novices as well as the advanced drivers. Aaron or Pete will gladly take your car out and show you the race line as seen from a Professional Driver's point of view and there will be plenty of discussion and car talk!

-Mike Paisan

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.
Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs
"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Last edited by AZP Installs; 02-28-2014 at 09:20 AM.
AZP Installs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AZP Installs For This Useful Post:
amram (02-14-2014)
Old 02-13-2014, 11:11 PM   #2
brianL.

Drives: BRZ/1J Supra
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
How many spots are open? I'm really and thinking of doing this.What time do you think you will leave on Sunday?

btw the registration page won't let me Register
brianL. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:24 AM   #3
amram

Drives: 2013 FR-S AT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
For someone's first HDPE event (edit - and never autoX before either), a stock car with stock everything would be fine for this? Or are any fluid changes, etc. recommended? (edit - would also be good to know if anything suggested would be considered necessary/highly recommended OR just something good to have, but not really necessary) thanks in advance.

Last edited by amram; 02-14-2014 at 12:02 PM.
amram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:41 AM   #4
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amram View Post
For someone's first HDPE event, a stock car with stock everything would be fine for this? Or are any fluid changes, etc. recommended? (edit - would also be good to know if anything suggested would be considered necessary/highly recommended OR just something good to have, but not really necessary) thanks in advance.
A lot of this will depend on how aggressive you are. If you're comfortable pushing the car (for example, if you autocross) and you want to run full 30 minutes sessions without letting up, then you will absolutely need to upgrade brake fluid and pads.

On the other hand, if you're not pushing your car hard or don't mind doing cool off laps mid-session, you may be ok with stock brakes, although I wouldn't recommend it. It's a scary feeling going 100+ mph down a straight and not knowing if you've got adequate brakes to make the turn at the end.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
amram (02-14-2014), DanoFA20 (03-08-2014)
Old 02-16-2014, 09:26 PM   #5
AZP Installs

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianL. View Post
How many spots are open? I'm really and thinking of doing this.What time do you think you will leave on Sunday?

Thanks for the heads up I will check this out asap.

-Mike Paisan

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs
Old 02-16-2014, 09:29 PM   #6
AZP Installs

Quote:
Originally Posted by amram View Post
For someone's first HDPE event (edit - and never autoX before either), a stock car with stock everything would be fine for this? Or are any fluid changes, etc. recommended? (edit - would also be good to know if anything suggested would be considered necessary/highly recommended OR just something good to have, but not really necessary) thanks in advance.
Stock cars are PERFECT for learning to HPDE with. I've done HPDEs with rental cars from the airport and with a stock car you are actually much better able to learn than in a modified car. Modded cars will hide areas where you need to work on.

With that said, you will want to do fluid changes (Engine Oil, Brake Flush and Trans/Diffy fluid) if your car isn't brand spanking new. Also check your pads to make sure they have sufficient life in them.

We will be offering folks to come get a pre-track inspection and service done with discounts, for the event as well.

Don't hesitate to ask questions though that's what we are here for.

-Mike Paisan

amram (02-17-2014)
Old 02-16-2014, 09:32 PM   #7
AZP Installs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
A lot of this will depend on how aggressive you are. If you're comfortable pushing the car (for example, if you autocross) and you want to run full 30 minutes sessions without letting up, then you will absolutely need to upgrade brake fluid and pads.

On the other hand, if you're not pushing your car hard or don't mind doing cool off laps mid-session, you may be ok with stock brakes, although I wouldn't recommend it. It's a scary feeling going 100+ mph down a straight and not knowing if you've got adequate brakes to make the turn at the end.
Good advice, although as a first time DEer we generally don't see folks pushing their cars hard enough to burn through the OEM pads. Lightning isn't terrible on the brakes as well.

The good part is that we will be on site with backup pads, fluid, etc so even if an issue pops up our techs can fix it on the fly for you!

This is a highly educational program, while speed is always a factor, for the beginners, good habits are more what we are about teaching.

-Mike Paisan

amram (02-17-2014)
Old 02-16-2014, 09:58 PM   #8
AZP Installs

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianL. View Post

All fixed now. The web editor I have gets funky when you put paypal buttons on the page and strips away some of the code to let it work!

Thanks again for the heads up.

-Mike Paisan

Old 02-16-2014, 10:04 PM   #9
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZP Installs View Post
Good advice, although as a first time DEer we generally don't see folks pushing their cars hard enough to burn through the OEM pads. Lightning isn't terrible on the brakes as well.

The good part is that we will be on site with backup pads, fluid, etc so even if an issue pops up our techs can fix it on the fly for you!

This is a highly educational program, while speed is always a factor, for the beginners, good habits are more what we are about teaching.

-Mike Paisan

That's a great way to help others and beginners out! Very cool.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:13 PM   #10
AZP Installs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
That's a great way to help others and beginners out! Very cool.
Thanks! We've need instructors for NASA, BMWCCA, PCA, SCCA and a few local clubs for over 10 years and serve as senior staff for NASA Northeast, so it is our passion to teach others and get beginners out to the track just as we did back in 2002 and had some really great enthusiastic folks that got us hooked on the sport. This is our way of "paying it forward" so to speak in motorsports.

-Mike Paisan

Old 02-17-2014, 10:51 PM   #11
amram

Drives: 2013 FR-S AT
Quote:
Stock cars are PERFECT for learning to HPDE with. I've done HPDEs with rental cars from the airport and with a stock car you are actually much better able to learn than in a modified car. Modded cars will hide areas where you need to work on.

With that said, you will want to do fluid changes (Engine Oil, Brake Flush and Trans/Diffy fluid) if your car isn't brand spanking new. Also check your pads to make sure they have sufficient life in them.

We will be offering folks to come get a pre-track inspection and service done with discounts, for the event as well.

Don't hesitate to ask questions though that's what we are here for.

-Mike Paisan
Quote:

Mike, this sounds great and very helpful indeed, thank you! I will likely take you guys up on the offer for pre-track inspection and service!

Noob question, any maintenance required/suggested after the event, i.e. any of those fluid changes required to be done again after the event, or would it be likely that brake pads will need replacing, etc. before the car resumes duty as a DD? thanks!

Last edited by amram; 02-17-2014 at 11:24 PM.
amram is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to amram For This Useful Post:
fx35s (02-17-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 03:15 AM   #12
dradernh

Drives: Used to Drive:Grand-Am GS #54 E36M3
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Best reason to go is to get Aaron Povoledo in your car with you. Don't know how Mike's doing this one, but usually you can get Aaron for 20 minutes. Sign up early to make sure you're on his schedule - make it a priority!

Typical session with Aaron at an event like this: he does a few laps describing the line to you, you do a few laps with him coaching you, and then you finish up with a quick debrief before he races off to the next student. I recommend this regardless of how much experience you have. One last thing: bring, borrow, or steal a GoPro or its equivalent - you'll be living off the video of Aaron driving the line every time you go to Lightning in the future - and make sure you have enough battery in it, and that operating it is second nature.

Possible scenario: it's raining, and you think this might throw a monkey wrench in what would otherwise be a great day. Nope, you'll learn more about driving in the rain from Aaron than you ever will on your own. I speak as someone who's spent a fair amount of time with Aaron working on driving in the rain. Again, you'll be living off the knowledge you gain for a very long time to come, and you'll be able to use it no matter which tracks you go to in the future. In fact, you'll wonder why other drivers drive such strange lines when it's raining out!

No affiliation, just a very satisfied client who has spent many days with Aaron.

All, of course, is my 2¢. Cheers!
dradernh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dradernh For This Useful Post:
amram (02-21-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 11:23 AM   #13
AZP Installs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Best reason to go is to get Aaron Povoledo in your car with you. Don't know how Mike's doing this one, but usually you can get Aaron for 20 minutes. Sign up early to make sure you're on his schedule - make it a priority!

Typical session with Aaron at an event like this: he does a few laps describing the line to you, you do a few laps with him coaching you, and then you finish up with a quick debrief before he races off to the next student. I recommend this regardless of how much experience you have. One last thing: bring, borrow, or steal a GoPro or its equivalent - you'll be living off the video of Aaron driving the line every time you go to Lightning in the future - and make sure you have enough battery in it, and that operating it is second nature.

Possible scenario: it's raining, and you think this might throw a monkey wrench in what would otherwise be a great day. Nope, you'll learn more about driving in the rain from Aaron than you ever will on your own. I speak as someone who's spent a fair amount of time with Aaron working on driving in the rain. Again, you'll be living off the knowledge you gain for a very long time to come, and you'll be able to use it no matter which tracks you go to in the future. In fact, you'll wonder why other drivers drive such strange lines when it's raining out!

No affiliation, just a very satisfied client who has spent many days with Aaron.

All, of course, is my 2¢. Cheers!
Aaron may or may not be hopping in cars, most likely he will be giving the track walk and doing the classroom. Although I am pretty sure he will take out peoples cars in the afternoon for a few hot laps, so definitely have those go-pros ready to capture a lap or 2 with Aaron or Pete at the wheel for future learning.

dradernh, shoot me a msg if you are interested in coming down in the advanced group or as an instructor...

-Mike Paisan

Old 02-21-2014, 11:57 AM   #14
subielife
Subaru Ambassador

Drives: 13 BRZ 18 Silverado
Hi Mike
It's Ron S from NASA. I should be able to help with this event. Ill get signed up as soon as i know the date is good. Ill spread the word
subielife is offline   Reply With Quote