follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

View Poll Results: Do you think snow tires will help?
Yes 13 86.67%
No 0 0%
Trade for a different car (Ralliart) *cough* 2 13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 12-08-2013, 06:37 PM   #1
Kelbyat07
Poor College Kid

Drives: ~.~
Thanked 2,182 Times in 1,249 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Snow tires question

So this would be my first time purchasing or even thinking about purchasing snow tires. After driving in the fresh snow today, I am a bit terrified driving on the road (I could only go 25 mph). For those of you who have snow tires on your car, do you think it will make a big difference in driving? Driving on the road, highway, and through the city? I feel like my best option is to get snow tires or another car. Any input would be nice, thank you!

I am a college student in Chicago and I am not sure how long I will stay with my parents, so asking for rides isn't a problem. The thing is that I will be on my own very soon and I want to be able to depend on my car to get me to places when I move out.

Kelbyat07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:48 PM   #2
P5yk0t1c

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Get snow tires. Period.

I couldn't make it up my driveway which is almost flat with the brand new stock tires. I was one of those guys that said, "a tire is a tire", but once I tried them, I ate my words. I have many friends that still say this, but are confused when my rear wheel drive car with way more power pulls away at stop lights and they are left spinning. Snow tires are unbelievable...you won't be disappointed.

I have Michelin X-ice and a friend has Bridgestone Blizzaks....those are the only two I have driven, but I am sure most are great.
P5yk0t1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #3
Kelbyat07
Poor College Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5yk0t1c View Post
Get snow tires. Period.

I couldn't make it up my driveway which is almost flat with the brand new stock tires. I was one of those guys that said, "a tire is a tire"...and I have many friends that still say this. Snow tires are unbelievable...you won't be disappointed.

I have Michelin X-ice and friend has Bridgestone Blizzaks....those are the only two I have driven, but I am sure most are great.

I couldn't get into my driveway today, which was slightly angle, that made me realize I needed to do something. I was also one of those guys that said, "a tire is a tire", but how does it turn?

Old 12-08-2013, 06:53 PM   #4
reardrv

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
The stock tires are summer tires, so they will be a nightmare in the snow regardless of the vehicle. My old 09 WRX came with summers and it could barely move in the snow with them, just going to a decent set of all seasons and it was night and day. I've been driving rear wheel drive vehicles in newengland weather for years with only all seasons and they where marginal but fine, with snow tires they where like a whole different car when things got slippery. Get yourself some snows, and make sure to honk and wave when you see 4x4/awd cars that are stuck.
reardrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:55 PM   #5
Kelbyat07
Poor College Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by reardrv View Post
The stock tires are summer tires, so they will be a nightmare in the snow regardless of the vehicle. My old 09 WRX came with summers and it could barely move in the snow with them, just going to a decent set of all seasons and it was night and day. I've been driving rear wheel drive vehicles in newengland weather for years with only all seasons and they where marginal but fine, with snow tires they where like a whole different car when things got slippery. Get yourself some snows, and make sure to honk and wave when you see 4x4/awd cars that are stuck.

You're from New England? If so, they must have a lot of snow. With that being said is your BR-Z driving fine with snow tires?

Old 12-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #6
P5yk0t1c

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelbyat07 View Post
I couldn't get into my driveway today, which was slightly angle, that made me realize I needed to do something. I was also one of those guys that said, "a tire is a tire", but how does it turn?
Honestly, you just have to try them and you will be amazed at the difference in grip.
P5yk0t1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:05 PM   #7
reardrv

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
You're from New England? If so, they must have a lot of snow. With that being said is your BR-Z driving fine with snow tires?
No snow tires on the BRZ so far, I did go through a bit of slush with the stock tires and it wasn't too hot but I got home. I can definitely feel that its the tires, not the car.

I'm more speaking from experience on other cars. I've had a few other rear wheel drive cars with snows and they work great. I have allot of experience driving SRT8 Chargers and Challengers with a few different types of tires when I worked at a Dodge dealer, between their weight and power those cars illustrated the difference between summers, snows, and all-seasons. Grab yourself a good set of snow tires, and have fun!
reardrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:13 PM   #8
utekineir
blowhard

Drives: frs, project forester
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
3 most important thing on a car

tires tires and tires
utekineir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:21 PM   #9
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,893 Times in 2,034 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
SFor those of you who have snow tires on your car, do you think it will make a big difference in driving?
It will make a HUGE difference. A PROFOUND difference. Good snow tires will utterly transform your driving experience. Even a set of *good* all-seasons that are decent in the snow would make a tremendous difference vs. the OEM Summer tires or the OEM "all-season" tires (which are rated very poorly in the snow).
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:27 PM   #10
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
It will make a HUGE difference. A PROFOUND difference. Good snow tires will utterly transform your driving experience. Even a set of *good* all-seasons that are decent in the snow would make a tremendous difference vs. the OEM Summer tires or the OEM "all-season" tires (which are rated very poorly in the snow).
Shit, the first time I switched to Performance Winter tires on my WRX from very good Conti All-Seasons, I thought I met Jesus. That's how profound the difference was.

If you're driving any summer compound in snow, you deserve what happens. If you're a lazy bum, get good All-Seasons. ZDan knows this, but you all need to understand that nothing is better than a seasonal tire in the season its meant for. Okay, it doesn't snow where you live, great! Z-rated summer tires are going to suck at 30 degrees and your braking distances will be obscene; learn to use the right compound!
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:27 PM   #11
Kelbyat07
Poor College Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post

Are you sure? I am kind of traumatized after having to drive home from the snow today. The usually 10 minute drive home turned out to be half an hour of nightmare.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:42 PM   #12
pche
Guy on internet

Drives: Slowly
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Would snow tires help in the snow?

Yes
pche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:44 PM   #13
utekineir