follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 11-21-2013, 12:26 AM   #1
toekneehair

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ/FBM turbo flexfuel
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Toekneehair's BRZ Full Blown Turbo build

I received my Full blown Motorsport base kit today and will hopefully be starting the install in the next weekend or two. This will be my first turbo build so I may have a number of questions. Wish me luck
Attached Images

toekneehair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:07 AM   #2
Fresh86

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
good luck! keep us posted
Fresh86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:43 PM   #3
toekneehair

Garage
Update. Started the install today. Injectors installed, Airbox removed, Headers removed, Oil drained, Oil pan replaced, and beginning the removal of the stock fans. I am limited on the number of hours I can work since I have to work on it at a local hobby shop. I'm hoping to be back running by the end of next weekend.

Posting a few Pics I took a long the way.
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2013, 06:18 PM   #4
toekneehair

Garage
It's Monday and the hobby shop is closed I hate having to wait to work on the car.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:29 PM   #5
ModBargains.com

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Awesome! Congrats on the turbo, good luck with the build
ModBargains.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:54 AM   #6
toekneehair

Garage
I know its been a few days since my last update. I have been digging in hard this weekend though. It has been a big learning curve but I am starting to see light at the end of the tunnel. I am trying to make sure that I get the install right though.

I have accomplished getting most everything directly dealing with the turbo installed.

I have the manifold on
The Turbo in
The oil and water lines run
The intercooling piping and intercooler installed
I have the Full Blown Motorsport Radiator installed

Issues I have run into:

I have a Mishimoto oil cooler but its intended location interferes with the intercooler.

- The good news is that it is a 19 core oil cooler like the Full Blowns oil cooler which is intended to be located under the passenger side headlight. I am working with FBM to get the mounting brackets and possibly new oil lines so I can relocate it.

I ran into an issue with one of the intercooler pipes because the kit came from an FRS and the BRZ utilizes different headlights which interfere with the solid pipe the FRS uses.

- Again reaching out the FBM they are helping me to get the correct parts needed to complete the install. They have been extremely helpful throughout this entire install.

Upon close inspection the pipe that is installed for the oil line I have found that it sits right up against the exhaust manifold. I have wrapped the entire manifold in heat wrap but it is still too close to the pipe. The pipe is welded by the installer usually but I bought the kit used. I am thinking that hot oil might have been the issue of the last owner and I have a feeling that this may have been the cause of it. There is about a 3 inch space between the exhaust manifold and one of the pulleys. Because the pipe is all the way to one side I will be pulling it back off and heating the pipe and bending it slightly to the side to make it come up in the middle. This small change should really help to keep the oil cooler due to where it is currently routed.

A similar issue with the Blow Off Valve dump pipe. With the heat wrap on the manifold it drops off a little close for my liking and I will be looking to bend it out about an inch as well.

That's about it for now.. so there is a little re-work to be done but I am attempting to ensure a quality install.

I hope you enjoy the updated photos.
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2013, 10:51 AM   #7
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Originally Posted by toekneehair View Post
A similar issue with the external wastegate dump pipe. With the heat wrap on the manifold it drops off a little close for my liking and I will be looking to bend it out about an inch as well.
fixt.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:08 PM   #8
Gen

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Which Hobby Shop are you working on it at? I'd love to come take a look. I've been the only one in San Diego with the fullblown kit for a while.
Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #9
toekneehair

Garage
Build update. Oil pan fixed, it no longer sits on the exhaust.

Change of plans for the dump pipe. I have a friend who welds turn the dump pipe into a recirc pipe directly into the down pipe.

I am at the hobby shop on naval base San Diego. I'll be there tonight after work. PM me your number and I'll let you know when I get off.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:51 PM   #10
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Quote:
Build update. Oil pan fixed, it no longer sits on the exhaust.

Change of plans for the dump pipe. I have a friend who welds turn the dump pipe into a recirc pipe directly into the down pipe.

I am at the hobby shop on naval base San Diego. I'll be there tonight after work. PM me your number and I'll let you know when I get off.
Nice. Love the hobby shops on base.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:23 PM   #11
toekneehair

Garage
So the kit I got was a used one from another member of the threads. After his install he spun a bearing within 4-5 miles. Because of this I have been taking extra precaution and scanning over everything, checking and double checking as much as I can. I opened up the wastegate today and found that the past user had it set at 15lbs of boost. I contacted him about it and he was shocked. apparently his mechanic who did the install/ uninstall never set it even after he was told to. I have a gut feeling this is why his build went bad so fast. I never got the 1lb spring but I have 5.6 lb spring so for now I will run my boost low at 5.6lbs
Old 12-08-2013, 08:26 PM   #12
toekneehair

Garage
It's alive!

Turbo installed and drivable. Small things left to do. But it's all small stuff now. When that boost hits it is such fun to drive
Old 12-08-2013, 09:44 PM   #13
SkAsphalt
Ridge Racerrrrrrrrr

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2004 Toyota Coroll
Thanked 1,363 Times in 954 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
So the kit I got was a used one from another member of the threads. After his install he spun a bearing within 4-5 miles. Because of this I have been taking extra precaution and scanning over everything, checking and double checking as much as I can. I opened up the wastegate today and found that the past user had it set at 15lbs of boost. I contacted him about it and he was shocked. apparently his mechanic who did the install/ uninstall never set it even after he was told to. I have a gut feeling this is why his build went bad so fast. I never got the 1lb spring but I have 5.6 lb spring so for now I will run my boost low at 5.6lbs
that's crappy for him! glad you found that!
Old 12-10-2013, 11:08 AM   #14
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Quote:
So the previous owner didn't have a boost gauge to verify either?