follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 10-23-2013, 07:21 AM   #1
Hachi6

Drives: 2013 raven black frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
fi and openflash tune

First dealer or fi maker who tunes with the openflash tab gets my money.

Supercharge or turbo.

I just want a kit i can install/flash in my garage then drive off.

PLEASE!!!
Hachi6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:01 AM   #2
z3ro
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I dont even know what to say
z3ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:08 AM   #3
vgi

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hachi6 View Post

Supercharge or turbo.

PLEASE!!!
this will take a while unless @vishnu does it as logging is not there yet.
vgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:26 AM   #4
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
So you want every single kit that is currently on the market then? The only difference between every kit that uses EcuTek and OpenFlash is a lower cost and flashing with a small tablet versus a laptop, but you still need a computer to load the tune into the tablet. I would guess that other tuners will start making tunes for the forced induction kits that can be flashed with OpenFlash, but that won't come till datalogging occurs. I don't see any of the kit manufacturers making the swap from EcuTek to OpenFlash.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:33 AM   #5
CajunFRS

Drives: Challenger R/T, CRX SI,
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Do kit manufacturers have to pay Ecutek for the basemaps? If OFT improves a few things and doesn't pass any fees to who ever is making the kit. Everyone wants too find ways to save costs. Not just customers.

Ecutek is still on top right now.
CajunFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:43 AM   #6
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunFRS View Post
Do kit manufacturers have to pay Ecutek for the basemaps?
They have to pay a fee to become a tuner of EcuTek that gives them the software to make and edit ROMs along with adding the RaceRom features. That initial cost is farily low when you consider how many forced induction kits they sell. They could make basemaps with one of the ROM editing softwares and then ship the kits loaded with the OpenFlash tablet and save a few dollars on the cost of the kit versus shipping it with an EcuTek license and cable.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:46 AM   #7
CajunFRS

Drives: Challenger R/T, CRX SI,
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
If they had a Ecutek Tuner in La I would be a little more inclined to spend the money on the cable and what not. Will be nice when other options become solid for FI so I can really start planning a build.
CajunFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:16 PM   #8
AVOturboworld

Drives: 2013 "AVO Orange" FR-S
Thanked 2,277 Times in 636 Posts
Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Our kit, and most of the other kits, you can install and flash in your own garage. Ecutek and OFT don't differ in the ability to provide a flashing solution, they differ in the delivery of the rom to the ecu of your vehicle. With ecutek, it is your own laptop + ecutek cable. With OFT, it's the OFT tablet.

The main reason that provided basemaps for FI kits are in ecutek only right now is due to a number of factors. The fact EcuTek has been around for over a year on the platform, which means all of the turbo and s/c kit developers had to use it to develop their kits. It also is the most developed of the flash programs available, and does provide a feature set that isn't available on the other programs yet.

Nobody can design their turbo or s/c kits to run with OFT, it's the other way around - OFT needs to have the features to work with the FI kits. In the case of our company and our kit, for instance, we are just selling hardware. While we are an EcuTek master tuner, it's simply to support our hardware. If and when it becomes necessary - or viable - we'll become OFT/BRZedit/Opensource master tuners as well, for the same reason.
AVOturboworld is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AVOturboworld For This Useful Post:
Circuit Motorsports (10-23-2013), forzajuve (10-24-2013)
Old 10-23-2013, 12:17 PM   #9
jamesm
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
there will be plenty available in due time. open tuning of this platform is in it's infancy. ecutek/remote tune will always be the best option for hands-off 'set it and forget it' types. openflash will have remote tuning (inexpensive at that) from vishnu once logging is available. all good things come to those who wait

i'll just add that anyone who is considering such an extreme engine modification as converting to some form of forced induction would do well to understand how the thing works. 'set it and forget it' or 'let someone else handle it' isn't always the best option, in my experience. it took me less than an hour to un-fubar what my 'highly recommended pro tuner' couldn't figure out in 3 months of fiddling. it's not that he's an idiot or i'm so awesome, just that he has an hour a week with my car if that, and doesn't drive it every day. problems seem to get solved quicker when the guy feeling the pain is the one doing the fixing, and when you have the car parked outside every day available to be worked on in little chunks.

if you 'just want to flash it and drive', FI might not be for you, unless you can find a shop that will do it end-to-end and has a competent tuner (that's the hard part).

Last edited by jamesm; 10-23-2013 at 12:28 PM.
jamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jamesm For This Useful Post:
Circuit Motorsports (10-23-2013), King Tut (10-24-2013), Nasty Sausage (03-20-2014), pmccut (10-24-2013), Shiv@Openflash (10-24-2013)
Old 10-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #10
Xero-Limit

Drives: JDL Turbo FRS, 335SC BRZ (ret)
Thanked 1,547 Times in 525 Posts
Mentioned: 380 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
We don't support it and have no plans to. I doubt most tuning shops will either. Time is money and whatever one will save on the hardware will be long gone when you factor in the tuning time. Yesterday we spent a few hours sending out about 20 tunes for revisions during the weekly cleanup. You just can't do that unless the software and interface is intuitive and efficient.
Xero-Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xero-Limit For This Useful Post:
bgibbsunc (12-02-2013), Circuit Motorsports (10-23-2013)
Old 10-23-2013, 01:29 PM   #11
Shiv@Openflash

Drives: 2013 FRS
Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,494 Posts
Mentioned: 605 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
We will have support for the Vortech SC very soon. And after that, other FI options will naturally follow. Maps will be posted on the website, free of charge and fully viewable/editable, when they are fully tested.
Shiv@Openflash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Shiv@Openflash For This Useful Post:
8686 (10-23-2013), djdnz (10-24-2013), jamesm (10-24-2013), Kakawate (11-29-2013), mwjcyber (10-24-2013), Nasty Sausage (03-20-2014)
Old 10-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #12
Hachi6

Drives: 2013 raven black frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
We will have support for the Vortech SC very soon. And after that, other FI options will naturally follow. Maps will be posted on the website, free of charge and fully viewable/editable, when they are fully tested.
See. I love this guy...

And thats why i went with the openflash. I want to install in a day, drive the car to work the next, and tune the car in a few months if i feel like there is any power left on the table. Heck. When the datalogging is available i could hit up shiv with a remote tune, all while continuing to drive my car daily. I was hoping a company would jump on the openflash capabilities and utilize the low cost tunig option to sell more turbo/superchargers.

Im just saying, they coud easily do a safe in house tune costing nothing but a few hrs of time, and making it available after purchase. It could easily be the thing that pushes their kit over the top.
Hachi6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #13
Circuit Motorsports

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Circuit Motorsports
Quote:

Supercharge or turbo.

PLEASE!!!
You could literally buy a turbo or S/C kit today, with a tune, and flash it onto your car via a laptop. Just FYI.

As James said - you really don't want to set it and drive off - you would really need to do some logging/monitoring to make sure it's all running healthy before beating on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunFRS View Post
If they had a Ecutek Tuner in La I would be a little more inclined to spend the money on the cable and what not. Will be nice when other options become solid for FI so I can really start planning a build.
You can remote tune, or tune in person. Some have the option of renting a cable for lower cost to you, etc.

Last edited by Circuit Motorsports; 10-23-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Circuit Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:02 AM   #14
Dephective

Drives: '13 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I'm purchasing a turbo kit here soon and I too want OFT to hurry up and offer FI support. I won't be doing much tuning on my own, so naturally I would want tuners to hop on board with this as well. I just hope that they offer the support by the time I get around to dropping on a kit, in which case I will make my purchase of ECUtek model and eventually switch when the support is satisfactory with OFT.

With the exception of 1 person localy (unfortunately not an ECUtek tuner), I wouldn't trust anyone absolutely with my $5k investment, especially when it can turn into a $10k headache. Anyone who says "trust me" makes me weary, regardless of reputation. While I can't do the majority of tuning on my own just yet, I am competent enough to catch something if it seems off to me, which is extremely beneficial for longevity and safety. Datalogging doesn't show you what the tables values are, only current running conditions. I want to see what my tuner did and, more importantly, WHY.

Another benefit is being able to adjust the stupid little things like fuel trims. With the changing of weather, these things can certainly make a big difference in how well and how safe your car runs. It's stupid to have to be limited on your tuner's time to adjust something so simple its infuriating. That's if you're lucky enough to get someone who offers free updates, which would more than likely make your wait times even greater.

So as a tuner, you're not willing to tune using a program that has less features but costs you nothing to use, especially when it's not reinventing the wheel, tuning principles apply regardless of the program you are using. You are about to have people throwing money at you and you're just going to say no? Guess the fewer that capitalize on this, will just profit all the more.

Not to mention, the ridiculous price variances you find on ECUtek cables and licenses through different vendors. Standardize your shit guys.

'01 Accord-daily
'93 Rx7-fire breathing track monster 545hp 397tq 2300lb.
'06 Mazdaspeed6 one helluva love-hate relationship
Dephective is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dephective For This Useful Post:
Mike86 (12-05-2013)