follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 08-07-2013, 12:08 PM   #1
Phantobe

Drives: 14 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
FR-S Vs. Camaro (Decisons...decisions)

Let me start of by saving this isn't your average versus thread. Allow me to explain my predicament...

I'm 22 years young and I am a engineer working for general motors. I am interested in two vehicles, a Camaro & FR-S/BRZ (FRZ).

I have test driven both cars and I'm pretty happy with how they both drive, although I have my gripes.

The Camaro is wide, heavy with lots of power. After driving it I was pretty satisfied lots of usable power, good handling the only thing that bothered me was the enormous pillars in the car that thing is blind spot city.

The FR-S is awesome just lacking in the power department, its a car about balance not balls to the walls speed. The visibility was much better than the Camaro, as was the handling.

So I'd be happy with either car honestly even though they are two completely different animals. I understand the comparison is a bit ridiculous but the main reason I'm comparing is because I'm a GM employee. And us GM employee get some nice discounts. If both were at the same price I think I would take the FR-S/BRZ hands down, but that is simply not the case.

So basically, If I purchased the Camaro I'd be saving 5-6 thousand with respect to the FR-S. So put yourself in my shoes and imagine this from my perspective.

22 years young, just started career, lives at home (lol), college loans, first NEW car.

Do you think 5-6 grand justifies getting a Camaro over a FRZ, given the circumstances or would you still choose the FRZ despite the large price margin? I realize I'm asking this on the FT86 forums (I'm a long time lurker) and after spending some time on the Camaro forums well, I don't want to go back there.

Edit: V6 not V8

Last edited by Phantobe; 08-07-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Phantobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:13 PM   #2
JohnJuan

Drives: 2013 FR-S, Hot Lava; 2012 Z1000 CBO
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I take it this is a V6 Camaro, then? I would only take the V8 over that FR-S, and that's really more for the sound than the power.
JohnJuan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnJuan For This Useful Post:
zygrene (08-08-2013)
Old 08-07-2013, 12:18 PM   #3
NamSin

Drives: Toyota 86 Auto Satin Pearl White
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Love my 86 but I've always had a soft spot for american muscle cars - maybe because we do not get them here.

Personally for the price div I'd go with camaro. As you said first job / car so you have a lot of years / cars ahead.
NamSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:19 PM   #4
MightyMeeple
Slower than Fast

Drives: BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Unique scenario there my friend!

Good news is that both are great cars, and I'm sure you will be happy with either, although as you already have pointed out each has it's own strengths and weaknesses.

I say go for the twins: plus you can tell your co-workers that you're doing competitive research on the twins to bring back to your engineering work for GM!

Just curious, what kind of discount could you score for a new stingray?!
Old 08-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #5
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
That's a tough one. Sounds like the question to ask yourself what type of car you really want to live with every day, or is money more important? If the 86 will strain your budget, question answered.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #6
Spartan65
USMC Veteran Semper Fi

Drives: 2010 WR Blue STi
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
I have to say this was like de javu when I saw this. My friend just bought a 2013 Camaro 1LE SS. I drove it around with the Goodyear Eagle F1 Summer tires that come on them. The 1LE package just blows my mind. The FRS is a way better handling car, in every way and form.
The 1LE allows you to push the car hard and is more forgiving if you lose momentuem. The FRS carries its momentuem through the turns with the intended oversteeer. The 1LE will bury your ass in a ditch if you get throttle happy.
I have an appointment Saturday for Gallas Chevrolet to appraise my FRS and tell me how long to get my Metalic Silver 1LE. If the trade in is high KB I'll do it. I will not take less than 24K for my FRS.
Good Luck. Seems like if your a GM employee the discount you get on a Camaro would be decent. The Insurance would insure you stay living at home for a while, but then what do I know.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #7
Diode Dynamics

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,761 Times in 877 Posts
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
I'd take a BRZ over a V6 Camaro, but a V8 model...idk that's a tough one.

You work for GM though, if you get steep enough discounts that other people can't get, I'd go Camaro. Plus it'll make your boss happy and your co-workers won't give you a hard time lol

Nick C.
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:37 PM   #8
jeffchap

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
If $$$ is the deciding factor, get the Camaro. But if driving satisfaction is the issue, remember there are things you can do to squeeze quite a bit more power out of the FRZ, but not much you can do to lighten the Camaro.

Plus, you'll probably be making more money in the next couple of years, by which time the difference in cost will seem less important to you than it does now. But the satisfaction that comes from enjoying what you drive never diminishes. So I'd say, buy whichever one you enjoy driving the most.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:37 PM   #9
ModBargains.com

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics View Post
I'd take a BRZ over a V6 Camaro, but a V8 model...idk that's a tough one.

You work for GM though, if you get steep enough discounts that other people can't get, I'd go Camaro. Plus it'll make your boss happy and your co-workers won't give you a hard time lol

Nick C.
+1

Basically what I would have a said as well.
ModBargains.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #10
Phantobe

Drives: 14 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMeeple View Post
Unique scenario there my friend!

Good news is that both are great cars, and I'm sure you will be happy with either, although as you already have pointed out each has it's own strengths and weaknesses.

I say go for the twins: plus you can tell your co-workers that you're doing competitive research on the twins to bring back to your engineering work for GM!

Just curious, what kind of discount could you score for a new stingray?!
Not at the plant I work at but the other one around here, if you drive an import you have to park further from the plant and the GM vehicles get prime parking haha... I guess they are trying to perpetuate the sterotype that Americans are fat >.< I don't mind the exercise.

On the Corvette well unfortunately I cannot get a discount on that =(

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhaus View Post
That's a tough one. Sounds like the question to ask yourself what type of car you really want to live with every day, or is money more important? If the 86 will strain your budget, question answered.
Yea it will be a DD, and I do have a bit of a drive approximately 50 miles round trip to work. So the FR-S would be the winner by a little bit on that end (Mostly thruway).

It won't necessarily "strain" my budget because I will be able to afford the payments but the lump sum of 6 thousand dollars is still a large pile of cash to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJuan View Post
I take it this is a V6 Camaro, then? I would only take the V8 over that FR-S, and that's really more for the sound than the power.
I want a sporty yet some what economical car so I wouldn't consider the V8 since I need a DD!
Phantobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #11
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
If you're on the fence after test-driving both, then buy the one that's cheaper.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:16 PM   #12
f0rge
head of infinite swagger

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Garage
Don't even bother with the V6. If you want a V6 muscle car get a Mustang (how funny would that be at work?)

I'd take the FRS over the V8 too, for a couple of grand you can give the FRS more power but you're never going to make a Camaro lose 1000+lbs.
2013 Ultramarine FR-S 6MT - Car Journal - SOLD
2004 AlpineWhite M3 6MT - SOLD
f0rge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:16 PM   #13
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
If you want a good muscle car at an affordable price...

[Applies troll-face]

Get a Mustang

In all seriousness, though, in your situation I wouldn't let where I work determine what car I get. That said, if you are that concerned with your coworkers reactions, get the Camaro, even if it may be the lesser car in your opinion (at least thats what I am reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It has priests in it?
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:23 PM   #14
hmong337
Emperor JDM

Drives: '91 MR2 Gen3 3SGTE, '13 FRS
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I was never a fan of govenment motors, GM. The only GM product I would buy is the corvette c5 and up.