follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 07-19-2013, 02:38 PM   #1
ShoShin

Drives: WRB Premium
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Best Method to Eliminate Sand

Hi my name is AJ and I have a sand problem.

During my last visit to SoW, I was having a decent run until I entered a chicane a little too fast resulting in me going off the track. As a result, this invited a sandstorm to enter my car. Which sucked since I am a clean freak, when it comes to my car.

Anyway, I have been successful at getting a majority of the sand out of my car. However the rear deck has a layer of sand which has been tricky to attack. I'm thinking maybe blowing compressed air and having a vacuum collect the lifted sand is the way to go.

And advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
ShoShin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:52 PM   #2
DoomsdayJesus
In Autobahn withdrawl

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited Man., WRB
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
You don't have access to a vacuum with a wedge attachment? Compressed air may get some of it deeper into the fabric, but would otherwise be your best option so long as the vacuum is directly in the path of the air.
DoomsdayJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:14 PM   #3
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
If you're willing to remove the deck lid you will have a much easier time satisfying your OCD tendencies. It's a little tricky, but there's a DIY around here somewhere. I've removed it, and it's not terribly difficult, just a little awkward. Compressed air should definitely help, but being able to hang the deck lid upside down over an open area and blast it with compressed air would be double effective IMO. That way you wouldn't need to worry about getting sand blown anywhere else.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:29 AM   #4
Mr. Sparkle

Drives: Mr. Sparkle Detailing Wagon
wedge attachment with a soft brush for your shop vac

comes with this kit from home depot (couldnt find a decent pic)

http://www.svcvacuum.com/ridgid/vt2534.asp
Mr. Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:53 PM   #5
ShoShin

My friend and I went to work on the sand with the 60-80(not sure)psi max air compressor and shop vac that he owns with great results. However we may need a higher psi a/c or remove the actual deck lid to attack those last few grains of sand that got launched deep against the rear windshield.
ShoShin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:49 AM   #6
Mr. Sparkle

Drives: Mr. Sparkle Detailing Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoShin View Post
My friend and I went to work on the sand with the 60-80(not sure)psi max air compressor and shop vac that he owns with great results. However we may need a higher psi a/c or remove the actual deck lid to attack those last few grains of sand that got launched deep against the rear windshield.
get a small brush in there up against the rear glass. Like a toothbrush you retired. hold the shop vac nozzle in there and agitate the fabric with the toothbrush. Will loosen it up and the vac is there to suck it right up (objects in motion like to stay in motion). Sweep towards the vac if you can. I do this type of thing in a lot of hard to reach spots except I use one of these from SM Arnold

Mr. Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Sparkle For This Useful Post:
ShoShin (07-29-2013)
Old 07-29-2013, 04:45 PM   #7
ShoShin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sparkle View Post
get a small brush in there up against the rear glass. Like a toothbrush you retired. hold the shop vac nozzle in there and agitate the fabric with the toothbrush. Will loosen it up and the vac is there to suck it right up (objects in motion like to stay in motion). Sweep towards the vac if you can. I do this type of thing in a lot of hard to reach spots except I use one of these from SM Arnold

Toothbrush just may work! Ill let you know how it goes..