follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 07-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #1
CharlieChaos

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
True Fix to Crickets and Pump

So I was speaking with my dealership and one of the Scion Reps and I was told that there is an actual fix coming that will eliminate the crickets. I had to bring my car back for the 2nd time and spoke with them about it and voiced my concern of putting a second one in for it to happen again right away and they let me know that they wouldnt be putting one in because a True Fix was coming.

Just thought I would pass the info along.

http://genometuning.com
http://www.BlackHandGaming.com
CharlieChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #2
STV3
Seņor Member

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,322 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Did they tell you what this "true fix" was.......
STV3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to STV3 For This Useful Post:
charged86 (07-11-2013)
Old 07-11-2013, 11:31 AM   #3
Fett4Real
AKA Mugen Dom

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2007 FJ Voodoo Blue
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Funny I had mine fixed yesterday and they said theres nothing being worked to change the pump and "this is the fix"
Fett4Real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
nos145
Cognite

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fett4Real View Post
Funny I had mine fixed yesterday and they said theres nothing being worked to change the pump and "this is the fix"
most people who work in a dealership do not follow multiple lines of cars.
think about it
u get paid 15$ an hour, why the fk would you research all of the vehicles.

There was a thread where apparently toyota figured out what the issue was. I am not surprised that the fix is coming. The thing is, how long does one have to wait for it.

My dealer said that my issue is on hold until they do figure it out.

For those of you who do have the issue thou, make sure you bring it into the dealership ASAP so they document it so that they cant bull shit their way out of it.
nos145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:43 AM   #5
eikond
Wish Nissan made one

Drives: '13 WRB BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
this is purely speculation on my part..

I've been thinking for a while that they would have the supplier redesign the high pressure fuel pump to eliminate the crickets.. and that part would be released for the 2014 model year. Replacement pumps for the 2013 MY owners will probably be available shortly after the new cars come out.

For this reason, I'm going to wait for another couple months before talking to the dealership about the issue.. Despite the fact that I have the loudest, most annoying crickets in the world.. drives me nuts!
eikond is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eikond For This Useful Post:
charged86 (07-11-2013)
Old 07-11-2013, 05:37 PM   #6
BZBoarding101

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS Asphalt
Quote:
Originally Posted by eikond View Post
this is purely speculation on my part..

I've been thinking for a while that they would have the supplier redesign the high pressure fuel pump to eliminate the crickets.. and that part would be released for the 2014 model year. Replacement pumps for the 2013 MY owners will probably be available shortly after the new cars come out.

For this reason, I'm going to wait for another couple months before talking to the dealership about the issue.. Despite the fact that I have the loudest, most annoying crickets in the world.. drives me nuts!
I would love a fix now but if i have to wait oh well. eikond i think my crickets are louder than yours
BZBoarding101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:49 PM   #7
eikond
Wish Nissan made one

Drives: '13 WRB BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZBoarding101 View Post
I would love a fix now but if i have to wait oh well. eikond i think my crickets are louder than yours
No way.. mine are so loud that the crickets you hear.. are actually from my car.. 2000 miles away.
eikond is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eikond For This Useful Post:
86_Insider (08-15-2013), chadstyle (08-14-2013), number1Tango (08-15-2013)
Old 07-11-2013, 11:31 PM   #8
mashal
DADA

Drives: 2013
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Lol you guys need to understand a fix just doesn't happen over night.
I work in an aircraft manufacturing company and when there is an ongoing issue like the crickets on the twins, it takes months of engineering and r&d ..then takes months of trial and error ... Then the paper work and then it gets released.

No point of releasing something and have it not work, everyone is bitching because Toyota isn't doing anything or hasn't yet, but you would still bitch if they prematurely released a "fix" and it didn't work...
mashal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:47 PM   #9
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashal View Post
Lol you guys need to understand a fix just doesn't happen over night.
I work in an aircraft manufacturing company and when there is an ongoing issue like the crickets on the twins, it takes months of engineering and r&d ..then takes months of trial and error ... Then the paper work and then it gets released.

No point of releasing something and have it not work, everyone is bitching because Toyota isn't doing anything or hasn't yet, but you would still bitch if they prematurely released a "fix" and it didn't work...
WTF are you talking about? Its a simple plunger issue or something, someone on this forum actually disassembled a HPFP and explained some washer is rubbing, its obvious a fix is coming because they have opened numerous case files on multiple peoples cars scion and Subaru. I think it will most definitely come when the 2014 model is released and they actually notice it and decide to fix it instead of tell all the dealers to rub it off and call it "normal"
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:52 PM   #10
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
WTF are you talking about? Its a simple plunger issue or something, someone on this forum actually disassembled a HPFP and explained some washer is rubbing, its obvious a fix is coming because they have opened numerous case files on multiple peoples cars scion and Subaru. I think it will most definitely come when the 2014 model is released and they actually notice it and decide to fix it instead of tell all the dealers to rub it off and call it "normal"
The cricket issue has been going on for over a year. I don't see anything wrong with his post. His point is that, depending on the issue and fix, it can take time. And it has.

I too, would not be surprised if the fix is rolled out first with 2014 models.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:00 AM   #11
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
The cricket issue has been going on for over a year. I don't see anything wrong with his post. His point is that, depending on the issue and fix, it can take time. And it has.

I too, would not be surprised if the fix is rolled out first with 2014 models.
But they have left there beloved customers out to dry with nothing but false hope, *cue epic music* the people that so enthusiastically love cars, the revilers of speed, the gear-heads, because silence is what the FA20 deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt it, because it can take it. Because it's not a fuel pump. It's a cricket, a nuisance. The GT86 *end epic music*

Not that we aren't tough enough to ignore it but come on how hard is it to redesign a simple pump, just source it from another company?
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:10 AM   #12
mashal
DADA

Drives: 2013
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
It's a simple plunger issue or something, sounds like you know the fix, go ahead and fix your crickets. Please do share how that goes
mashal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mashal For This Useful Post:
Silver86 (07-12-2013)
Old 07-12-2013, 12:30 AM   #13
5th 86

Drives: 2013 BRZ SPORT TECH
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
About time toyota, putting in your pos d4-s, should of listened to subaru when they told you port injection... But noooo you need to have toyota on the top of the engine and the only way was this annoying direct injection system. Fix it already so i can stop ranting.
5th 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:34 AM   #14
5th 86

Drives: 2013 BRZ SPORT TECH
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I think a 2.2 liter port injected engine would of been better, probably weight the same cause you dont need 4 extra injectors, extra pump, rail and whatever else... Been cheaper down the road, less prone to failure from the KISS theory, easier to tune, and more torque.
5th 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 5th 86 For This Useful Post:
Muaddib (08-09-2013)