follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-25-2013, 06:02 PM   #1
brzr

Drives: 2013 frs
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
anyone with small kids?

any tips on working the frs with two kids, and two car seats?
anything i should be aware of?

i have two boys, 4 and 6 years old, and i'll be driving them around in the frs, mainly short distances, and occasional long distance, once or twice a month

we have tested car seats at the dealership before buying the car, but everyone thinks i'm nuts for not getting getting a van

i'm 5'2'' and have no problem getting into the car, so i don't think i'll be too troubled with that......will probably prefer walking into the car, and bending so i can dump the kids into the seats, rather than trying to contour myself like i did before with the 4 door car (had a golf......still do, until the frs is ready, hopefully the end of this week)

hate how i have to twist my body while holding my kid to put them into the seats...i mostly make them go in themselves, but it's much quicker if i just dump them myself

anyways, any tips are much appreciated!
brzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
getbent

Drives: 2013 FR-S Blue MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
With you being only 5'2" there should be enough room behind you for your 4yo. They should also be big enough to just climb in themselves (my 4yo can). If I need to buckle them in or whatever, I just kneel onto the floor in the car.

getbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:07 PM   #3
tnt

Drives: argento frs at
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
I think you're better off with a van for your kids. I have 2 yrs old daughter and it's a pain in the butt to get her in and out the car seat.
tnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:17 PM   #4
angelm3

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
They should fit fine ,but keep in mind that you have to readjust your seat every time you move it out the way to let someone in.
angelm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:18 PM   #5
CAMBAM_6
CAMBAM

Drives: '13 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I have a 4 y/o and im not going to lie im 5'8" and the FRS is the worst backseat car in the world, she barely fits (im screwed when shes 5)..lol..I hate that her feet are all over my seats but she has no choice...I have to wipe down the back of the seat everytime she gets in and out
CAMBAM_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:45 PM   #6
supra2nv

Drives: 10 Series TRD
Thanked 1,169 Times in 700 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
take my 11yo (front) and my 8 yo(back) out all the time in the FRS. had both of them in the back for a while, but my boy got bigger haha. it's cramped. the seats slide back quickly so watch their feet when you recline the seat forward to let someone in the back...that's dangerous in my opinion as the back of the seat can hit the kids in the shin area.

it's a tight fit, but the kids always prefer the frs over the mdx lol. my kids are on the small end btw...

Wave Particle Duality
supra2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:07 PM   #7
denkigrve
Random Internet dad

Drives: 2013 FRS and 2010 Mini Cooper
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Going to pick up my 3 y/o right now. He only sits behind the passenger seat though. At 5'11" the seat behind me is basically storage at this point, but it definitely works. It's not practical for long road trips, but around the area it's fine.

I'd also reccomend getting a lower profile car/booster seat. My son is sporting one of the recaro ones, it's even color matched to the interior.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:08 PM   #8
brzr

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbent View Post
With you being only 5'2" there should be enough room behind you for your 4yo. They should also be big enough to just climb in themselves (my 4yo can). If I need to buckle them in or whatever, I just kneel onto the floor in the car.

my husband who's 5'8'' was able to sit behind me when i test drove the car, he had enough leg room
so i'm not worried about the room behind me
most of the time i have them go in themselves, but they drag, unless we're going out for ice cream or to a toy store lol

i can stand in the car bending over the seats.......don't have to kneel......short legs hehe
Old 06-25-2013, 08:10 PM   #9
brzr

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelm3 View Post
They should fit fine ,but keep in mind that you have to readjust your seat every time you move it out the way to let someone in.

that sounds like a pain......i'll have to try and remember to use the passenger seat to have them go in
Old 06-25-2013, 08:12 PM   #10
brzr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMBAM_6 View Post
I have a 4 y/o and im not going to lie im 5'8" and the FRS is the worst backseat car in the world, she barely fits (im screwed when shes 5)..lol..I hate that her feet are all over my seats but she has no choice...I have to wipe down the back of the seat everytime she gets in and out

actually i'm used to the foot prints...........had them on the golf passenger seat as it was pushed way back

that foot prints suck though

i have to keep reminding them not to get my car dirty........that lasts for the next 2 minutes until they forget and the feet are on the back again
Old 06-25-2013, 08:14 PM   #11
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
i have a 5-yr old that sits in the back seat of my BRZ, in a diono radian child seat. it's lower profile than the recaro child seat that we have in the outback. i have a seat back protector to protect the back of the passenger seat from his shoes.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:14 PM   #12
brzr

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra2nv View Post
take my 11yo (front) and my 8 yo(back) out all the time in the FRS. had both of them in the back for a while, but my boy got bigger haha. it's cramped. the seats slide back quickly so watch their feet when you recline the seat forward to let someone in the back...that's dangerous in my opinion as the back of the seat can hit the kids in the shin area.

it's a tight fit, but the kids always prefer the frs over the mdx lol. my kids are on the small end btw...

good to know about the seats sliding back quickly

my boys are on the smaller side too........not like their parents are giants
The Following User Says Thank You to brzr For This Useful Post:
supra2nv (06-25-2013)
Old 06-25-2013, 08:21 PM   #13
brzr

Quote:
Originally Posted by denkigrve View Post
Going to pick up my 3 y/o right now. He only sits behind the passenger seat though. At 5'11" the seat behind me is basically storage at this point, but it definitely works. It's not practical for long road trips, but around the area it's fine.

I'd also reccomend getting a lower profile car/booster seat. My son is sporting one of the recaro ones, it's even color matched to the interior.

we have a station wagon for long trips, and if we need to take lots of stuff with us.......the thing with the frs is that if all four of us are in the car, my poor dog won't have any room.......well, he might fit in the middle.......that will be something to try out

i had to replace my old car seats a few months ago as they were in an accident, and went with two radian seats since they seem to be on the smaller side
Old 06-25-2013, 08:22 PM   #14
brzr

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiumai View Post
i have a 5-yr old that sits in the back seat of my BRZ, in a diono radian child seat. it's lower profile than the recaro child seat that we have in the outback. i have a seat back protector to protect the back of the passenger seat from his shoes.

can you link the protector please