follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 05-13-2013, 01:20 PM   #1
Mac1235

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Next car after Scion FRS

Well I think I have narrowed it down to a 2009 Porsche Cayman. The questions I had though on this type of car is am I going to go bankrupt trying to maintain a car like this? Anyone have some previous experience owning a Porsche or similar car and can provide me with some insight?
Mac1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
campy
No rice, no life

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Thanked 1,019 Times in 388 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I have a Porsche 993.

You know the phrase "if you have to ask, you probably can't afford it"? That goes for maintenance/parts on a Porsche.
campy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:29 PM   #3
Sonolin
Banned

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac1235
Next car after Scion FRS
I vote for Scion FR-S

Or if you really want to spend more money: Toyota GT-86
Sonolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:34 PM   #4
SkullWorks
Banned

Drives: SSM LT MT BRZ
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Owning German cars out of warranty is not for the faint of heart.

Why are you needing to consider your "next car after FR-s" the car has only been out a year, did you total yours or something?

In my mind the only "next" car should be an FRs or Better yet a BRz...unless you didn't appreciate the car, in which case you should be asking this question of another audience.

What exactly are you looking for that this car didn't decide, You realize there is nothing in this thread to indicate what you would like discussed, as far as i can tell this thread should have been titled, "I leased a scion and now I think I want to own a used porsche...same thing right?"
SkullWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:41 PM   #5
frslee
Just drive it

Drives: 13' FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Let me tell you about German cars...

Their parts are expensive and labor rate/book hour for independent shops are high too.

Like campy said... "If you have to ask, you probably can't afford it"

It's a PORSCHE... Lexus/Audi/Bmw/Benz/Infiniti are above Toyota. Porsche is above all I listed.
frslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:43 PM   #6
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Garage
My experience with porsche (cayenne) is that its a fun to drive SUV that lacks the technological advances of its counterparts in lexus and and others. Not sure it's worth the price status aside.
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:45 PM   #7
Re_Invention

Drives: '22 Tacoma, '19 Macan, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
OP I'm a little confused, are you asking about Cayman's or are you proposing a discussion point for members to talk about their next planned purchase after they are done with their FR-S? If it's the former, why ask about a Cayman on an FR-S forum? Check out:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/boxster-cayman-forum/
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/boxster-cayman-16/
http://forums.rennlist.com/

A few members here have/had P cars and hopefully will chime in.

Pops owned a 911, he was worried about IMS failure (which I believe afflicts Cayman/Boxster as well?) but looking at the numbers - it isn't the nearly as fateful as folks make it out to be. He put on 40k+ miles over a few years averaging about $1,2k per year in costs* before selling it with around 120k miles in perfect working condition for a new Corvette Grand Sport.

*lube changes, brakes, small mods here and there, minor deferred maintenance, etc.

Always remember [i.e. don't be intentionally ignorant], even if a car costs $25k now, that doesn't change the fact that maintenance is still that of a $60k+ car. Price it out accordingly and see if your budget fits, should take all of 40 minutes to do.

We're in the same boat, I'm in love with the new Cayman body style and am shooting for a factory pick up in 4-5 years time.
Re_Invention is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #8
Mac1235

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by campy View Post
I have a Porsche 993.

You know the phrase "if you have to ask, you probably can't afford it"? That goes for maintenance/parts on a Porsche.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullWorks View Post
Owning German cars out of warranty is not for the faint of heart.

Why are you needing to consider your "next car after FR-s" the car has only been out a year, did you total yours or something?

In my mind the only "next" car should be an FRs or Better yet a BRz...unless you didn't appreciate the car, in which case you should be asking this question of another audience.

What exactly are you looking for that this car didn't decide, You realize there is nothing in this thread to indicate what you would like discussed, as far as i can tell this thread should have been titled, "I leased a scion and now I think I want to own a used porsche...same thing right?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by frslee View Post
Let me tell you about German cars...

Their parts are expensive and labor rate/book hour for independent shops are high too.

Like campy said... "If you have to ask, you probably can't afford it"

It's a PORSCHE... Lexus/Audi/Bmw/Benz/Infiniti are above Toyota. Porsche is above all I listed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by l0aded View Post
My experience with porsche (cayenne) is that its a fun to drive SUV that lacks the technological advances of its counterparts in lexus and and others. Not sure it's worth the price status aside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Re_Invention View Post
OP I'm a little confused, are you asking about Cayman's or are you proposing a discussion point for members to talk about their next planned purchase after they are done with their FR-S? If it's the former, why ask about a Cayman on an FR-S forum? Check out:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/boxster-cayman-forum/
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/boxster-cayman-16/
http://forums.rennlist.com/

A few members here have/had P cars and hopefully will chime in.

Pops owned a 911, he was worried about IMS failure (which I believe afflicts Cayman/Boxster as well?) but looking at the numbers - it isn't the nearly as fateful as folks make it out to be. He put on 40k+ miles over a few years averaging about $1,2k per year in costs* before selling it with around 120k miles in perfect working condition for a new Corvette Grand Sport.

*lube changes, brakes, small mods here and there, minor deferred maintenance, etc.

Always remember [i.e. don't be intentionally ignorant], even if a car costs $25k now, that doesn't change the fact that maintenance is still that of a $60k+ car. Price it out accordingly and see if your budget fits, should take all of 40 minutes to do.

We're in the same boat, I'm in love with the new Cayman body style and am shooting for a factory pick up in 4-5 years time.
Thanks for the information those of you that posted. I am in fact patrolling those forums as well listed above by you guys. This question was for people who have owned this car and their experience with maintenance issues and costs. I don't believe the "if you have to ask, you can't afford it". I make enough money to purchase it brand new off the lot, that doesn't mean I am going to behave stupidly with my money and dive head long into a car without gathering first hand accounts as to maintenance and upkeep costs.

I am sorry if this offended anyone but this forum is a gathering place of owners of the twins. I own a twin and I am doing research for future car purchases and I value the opinions and information of fellow owners, I did not say I was going to buy this car tomorrow or two years from now, so please dont infer. I gave you enough information in the question to get the answer I wanted, maintenance costs on the Cayman.

For the others who say keep the BRZ/FRS forever I get it, it is a good car, I bought one! But, there are better cars out there, for anyone who thinks a BRZ/FRS is better then a well designed Porsche... you haven't driven one. Thanks again to everyone who provided me with real information.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mac1235 For This Useful Post:
Re_Invention (05-13-2013)
Old 05-13-2013, 03:55 PM   #9
campy
No rice, no life

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Thanked 1,019 Times in 388 Posts
Sorry if what I said came off as agressive, I didn't mean it to. I wasn't sure if you actually had much thought put into this, or you're just a high schooler who saw an old Porsche for sale on craigslist for $2000.
campy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:57 PM   #10
Mac1235

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by campy View Post
Sorry if what I said came off as agressive, I didn't mean it to. I wasn't sure if you actually had much thought put into this, or you're just a high schooler who saw an old Porsche for sale on craigslist for $2000.
Np. Understandable. Hard to determine tone through text. Yeah I am doing preliminary research right now. I like to gather as much first hand information as I can.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #11
chrisl

Drives: 2006 Cayman S, 2007 Outback 2.5i
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
The cayman is a wonderful choice - as I've stated in a different thread, to me, it feels very much like what the BRZ/FRS would be if Subaru/Toyota had a target price of $60-70k. I haven't owned mine long enough to tell on the maintenance, but I can say that it's an excellent car.

That having been said, you have a car that's a year old (or less) - I would recommend keeping it for a while before thinking about upgrading.
chrisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:39 PM   #12
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Motorhome
theredtape (05-29-2013)
Old 05-13-2013, 08:51 PM   #13
JS86JS

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 GTS, Marine Blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Well I know a little on prices; my dad owns a Porsche 911 turbo!
•He took it to a track day the other month and due to its really low profile tires (that got torn up) they had to be replaced the next day... $400-800 each a tire (dependent on quality)

That's it so far but I mean, if something goes wrong and you want new parts you want it to be Porsche not some no name brand replacement.
He's getting the new 2014 gt3 soon and one of the options is Porsche disc brakes ($40,000)

Easiest way to look at it in comparison:
•Toyota/scion/brz; top of the line TRD/STI big brakes; $10,000
•Porsche high spec big brakes; $40,000
Old 05-13-2013, 11:43 PM   #14
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 5,033 Times in 2,218 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Sorry, but you're asking for spreadsheet actuarial information about the Cayman in the wrong place.

The FR-S is the first car that has generated any interest for me, personally, over the last 15 years.
So much so that I've been driving an f'n van for longer than that.
ALL the production offerings up to now have left me ultimately frostbitten.

Didn't want to spend S2000 - Boxter prices for a worthwhile car. Glad I waited.