follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 01-21-2012, 06:06 PM   #1
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,131 Times in 1,195 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Watch out for this scam! (Eventvwr)

This morning I was rudely awakened by an early phone call. Some jerk-off with a thick Indian accent told me he was from Microsoft and that my computer had sent several error messages to them.

Knowing full well this was a scam (My number is unlisted, I never gave it to MS, and they don't initiate calls to you )

I played along and said "OMG, what can I do?!"

He said, "We can help you, but we have to act before your computer crashes."

This douche proceeds to tell me to run the following command "eventvwr" to see what types of issues might be affecting my computer. (For those who don't know, every little thing that goes wrong with your computer would be revealed by this "eventvwr" execution, and it is normal for a few things to show up here.)

I made him repeat the spelling to eventvwr multiple times while I snickered in the background. His accent made his words sound like his tongue was just stung by a bee.

My next guess is that he was going to try and sell me some BS antivirus
software when the log of all these errors popped up, have me give him remote access to my computer, or just give him personal information for he and his buddies to exploit later.

I decided to cut him off and said, "Wait, I want to see what this command does before I type it into my computer."

I googled "eventvwr" and saw that many people had been called by these scammers offering to fix what was wrong with their computer by asking people to run "eventvwr."

I asked him, "How do I verify your credentials, and determine that you are who you say you are?"

At this point, he starts pretending like he can't hear me that well, and he keeps saying "Hello, hello, sir? Did you run the command yet? Just type in eventvwr."

I said "No, that's okay, I don't think I will. Not all Americans are as stupid as you would believe us to be." I hung up before he could get another word in.

***Apparently this scam has been going on in other countries for years. Has anyone ever received these types of calls?
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:26 PM   #2
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Negative. No one ever calls our house phone.

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
Yashio Factory Pink adds +10HP to anything.
TOYOTA FT-86
Giccin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:46 PM   #3
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,157 Times in 8,347 Posts
Mentioned: 689 Post(s)
Tagged: 28 Thread(s)
Same here, never got the calle. But my friend has. He told the guy "idk how's that possible, cuz I only have Mac? Also did you know this call is been recording & back tracking, right? All the thing you have said, my lawyer will be using against you & your company. So you have 2 choices, 1. Hang up & never call this number or 2. You will be calling my lawyer. Which one do you prefer?"

Of course my friend was joking on recording & lawyer part (but Mac part is true). After that, guy hang up & never called again.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:58 PM   #4
Argent6978

Drives: '05 Focus ZX3, soon '13 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I get e-mails a lot that say they need my help to make an international financial transaction and I'll get a percentage of so many billion. It's on an old e-mail that I don't check very often though, so no big deal to me. Oh, then there's some that say they're from my old bank that I closed my accounts with saying they need my password to verify a transaction or something. Such BS.
Argent6978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:32 PM   #5
ryude

Drives: Volkswagen GTI
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Watch out for emails from people in your contacts that are really scams. Ive gotten some from my brother that were really just a robot trying to get me to buy stuff. I asked my brother and he said he never sent any email like that.
ryude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:47 PM   #6
Snoopyalien24
Mr. Sarcasm

Drives: 2016 VW Jetta TSI Sport 5-Speed
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Lol I love the attempt, but hate the fact so many people fall for them. I had to remove a super stubborn malware virus from my cousins' PC called.... PlayPickle (lulzz). But, it disables windows explorer - JEZUZ it's a pain lol.

Had to get in the key registers and blah blah blah. Her 3 year old downloaded it thinking it was a game.. *sighs* check yo PC's foo! I pity ya'll
Snoopyalien24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:15 AM   #7
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,131 Times in 1,195 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Wow, I am surprised no one has really gotten these here.
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote