follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 02-06-2013, 01:03 PM   #1
zygrene

Drives: 1991 Formula Red NSX
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2nd car advice

Hey guys and gals,

So I just graduated college last May, have a solid job in the SF Bay Area, and already own a 2011 Audi A3 with less than 17k miles that was a fully paid-off graduation gift from my parents. I'm super thankful for everything that I have, but lately I've been completely obsessed with the idea of purchasing a used Acura NSX at the end of this year. It has been my #1 dream car for several years now, and if I had to choose between ANY other car and a clean NSX to own and drive on a weekly basis, it would be the NSX (assuming, of course, I can't just sell a more expensive car and buy an NSX). It's completely irrational but I figure if I'm ever going to fully enjoy a car like this, the time is now.

Things I've been considering:

1) NSX's are rare and often have lots of miles on them. Does Honda reliability still apply to a 15-20 year old supercar?
2) Right now I live in an apartment by myself and pay $$$$ for rent. In July or Aug I will move into a house with housemates and will cut this cost in half, plus I'll have a garage for the NSX.
3) A coworker suggested I should trade-in my A3 (right now I'd probably get $19-20k for it, so even less by the end of the year) and drive the NSX as a daily driver since I'm still young and don't "need" a practical car. How safe will it be to do this in the Bay area? Theft/vandalism scares me.
4) Are there any particular model years of the NSX that are worse/better? I can't find any affordable 2002+ models (under $40k) with the flush headlights, so it seems I'm limited to mainly early 90's models.

Any input/advice/experience is greatly appreciated.
zygrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:14 PM   #2
Trashed675

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FRS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
As far as i know, there isn't anything super fragile about the NSX. The motor and trans are very similar to those found in lesser honda/acura models, and the body isn't crazy expensive carbon or anything.

I would imagine you'd be okay daily driving one, but vandalism would be a concern in the bay area. At the vary least you could buy it as an investment as they should be considered a "classic" in a few years time and might make a nice return if you sell it.

I say go for it.
Trashed675 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Trashed675 For This Useful Post:
zygrene (02-06-2013)
Old 02-06-2013, 01:29 PM   #3
zygrene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trashed675 View Post
As far as i know, there isn't anything super fragile about the NSX. The motor and trans are very similar to those found in lesser honda/acura models, and the body isn't crazy expensive carbon or anything.

I would imagine you'd be okay daily driving one, but vandalism would be a concern in the bay area. At the vary least you could buy it as an investment as they should be considered a "classic" in a few years time and might make a nice return if you sell it.

I say go for it.
This is what I was thinking. It's one of those cars that is guaranteed to become a classic. Hell, it already is a classic. But I'm also wondering what kind of price is reasonable. I don't want one with 100k miles on it. 60-70k would be fine, but the few I've found cost roughly half of my yearly gross income.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #4
Re~Mix

Drives: 13' Scion FRS MT
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I share the same dream of you, and am very jealous to see you approaching it much sooner than me.

Honestly, the A3 is a great asset and you will lose money trading it in. If you can swing it (insurance + parking for both) i'd stick with 2 cars. A clean NSX is something I wouldn't be putting as many miles on and definitely wouldn't drive everywhere (groceries, downtown bars, etc.).

My current plan is to daily drive the FR-S for about two years and then purchase a used "practical" car when I can swing it to allow the FR-S to become a bit more of a hobby car.
Re~Mix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Re~Mix For This Useful Post:
zygrene (02-06-2013)
Old 02-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #5
zygrene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Re~Mix View Post
I share the same dream of you, and am very jealous to see you approaching it much sooner than me.

Honestly, the A3 is a great asset and you will lose money trading it in. If you can swing it (insurance + parking for both) i'd stick with 2 cars. A clean NSX is something I wouldn't be putting as many miles on and definitely wouldn't drive everywhere (groceries, downtown bars, etc.).

My current plan is to daily drive the FR-S for about two years and then purchase a used "practical" car when I can swing it to allow the FR-S to become a bit more of a hobby car.
Honestly, this isn't something I should even be considering from a practical/financial standpoint. Like I said, it's totally irrational. If I had gotten a BRZ like I had originally wanted (I had $500 down to reserve one back in March 2012) then I probably wouldn't be shooting for an NSX right now. I love my A3, don't get me wrong, but I have realized some of the limitations of FWD after owning it for half a year. I have done some mods on it, including an APR Stage 1 ECU tune, subframe engine/tranny mount, short ram air intake, and new Nitto NT05 front tires, so trade-in value definitely won't be great.

Seems like 2 cars is the way to go if I really want an NSX.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:47 PM   #6
Re~Mix

Take a hard look at your finances. Keeping the A3 will mean insurance, gas, parking (possibly) and maintenance costs. Add on top of that the loans/payments, etc. for an NSX.

Given patience and wide searching range, you can find a clean NSX at a decent price. I wouldn't be quick to jump at the first one you see, etc.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:20 PM   #7
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zygrene View Post
Hey guys and gals,

So I just graduated college last May, have a solid job in the SF Bay Area, and already own a 2011 Audi A3 with less than 17k miles that was a fully paid-off graduation gift from my parents. I'm super thankful for everything that I have, but lately I've been completely obsessed with the idea of purchasing a used Acura NSX at the end of this year. It has been my #1 dream car for several years now, and if I had to choose between ANY other car and a clean NSX to own and drive on a weekly basis, it would be the NSX (assuming, of course, I can't just sell a more expensive car and buy an NSX). It's completely irrational but I figure if I'm ever going to fully enjoy a car like this, the time is now.

Things I've been considering:

1) NSX's are rare and often have lots of miles on them. Does Honda reliability still apply to a 15-20 year old supercar?
2) Right now I live in an apartment by myself and pay $$$$ for rent. In July or Aug I will move into a house with housemates and will cut this cost in half, plus I'll have a garage for the NSX.
3) A coworker suggested I should trade-in my A3 (right now I'd probably get $19-20k for it, so even less by the end of the year) and drive the NSX as a daily driver since I'm still young and don't "need" a practical car. How safe will it be to do this in the Bay area? Theft/vandalism scares me.
4) Are there any particular model years of the NSX that are worse/better? I can't find any affordable 2002+ models (under $40k) with the flush headlights, so it seems I'm limited to mainly early 90's models.

Any input/advice/experience is greatly appreciated.
ill make this simple

you make enough money to have 2 cars... go buy what you want

depends on what you need it for, what you like to drive... here's a great example

me:
may 2012
08 camry 98,442 miles
Scion FR-S 8 miles

Today
08 camry 99,177 miles
Scion FR-S 23,012 miles

i used to drive the camry more when i had the celica, now i cant get away from my FR-S....

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:27 PM   #8
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Just do it and get it over with. I know the itch you have and believe me it won't go away. I had a love affair with the 911 from the day it first came out. It gnawed on me till I bought one about 10 years ago. Within a few short years I sold it and bought a Miata. I no longer turn my head when one of them goes by. Buying one is the only solution.
whaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #9
pheoxs
Hold my beer n watch this

Drives: '14 Fiesta ST / '91 240sx
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
My advice would be go for it ... but in a year or so. I graduated 2 years ago and was in the same boat, oh man I make great money have so much to spend and bought a lot of random toys.

Unfortunately when your income rise, your cost of living seems to rise as well (go out more with friends, buy nicer things, hobbies, etc) so I'd say save for a year and make sure you can afford everything and pick one up next winter when they are cheaper. Around December/January you can score good deals on people offloading stuff to make up funds for Christmas.
pheoxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:43 PM   #10
zygrene

Yeah, the plan was to buy one in late 2013, not now. I have no way to afford it right now. Tax returns + savings from sharing a house will allow me to afford one with at least a $10k down payment sometime in Sept or Oct.

I'm also curious as to what kind of financing I can get directly from a bank, since I'd most likely have to buy an NSX from a private seller. My only lines of credit are 2 credit cards, but my credit score is is in the low to mid 700 range. I'm hoping for at most 3.5% for 48 months.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #11
Orthow
Banned

Drives: 99' SIR Kswapped Racer/Showcar
Depending on what you start with. The NSX should hold it's value longer and better than the Audi. The Audi will depreciate with every mile and every extra month of ownership. That doesn't happen so much with a classic super car that is rare and sought after.

The drivetrain on the NSX is stout. Hell anything Honda makes is pretty much bulletproof but the C35 or C32 found in the NSX is a great engine. I have had multiple friends own them all with varying mileage and I can't think of a single time any of them had engine or drivetrain issues. Most of those cars ended up with a SC or Turbo setup as well. A SC'd V6 NSX is an absolute beast..hard to beat light to light, damn near impossible to pass on the highway and an absolute riot on the tracks.

Yes, you can daily the NSX. Any supercar worth it's salt can be driven daily assuming you keep up with proper maintenance schedules. Luckily the NSX, being a Honda product, isn't expensive to maintain and the parts are relatively cheap when compared to even Audi replacement parts. If you do end up with the NSX get a decent alarm AND --- CAN'T STRESS THIS ENOUGH --- a proper GPS tracking setup. Should go without saying but so many people either cheap out or completely forget the GPS aspect.

If I were you, I'd buy a first gen NSX and swap the front end to the latest gen style. Was never a fan of the old school looking pop-up headlights. Get some NSX-R add-ons and call it an amazing day!

Good luck on your decision/purchase
Orthow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Orthow For This Useful Post:
zygrene (02-06-2013)
Old 02-06-2013, 04:35 PM   #12
zygrene

I actually like the pop-up headlights. They're old-school but that's part of the appeal for me. Glad to hear the NSX maintains Honda reliability. What kind of mileage should I really be looking for if I'm looking to spend a maximum of $35,000 with a $10-12k down payment?
Old 02-06-2013, 04:39 PM   #13
F3dzo

Drives: 13 fr-s whiteout
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
My brother has a red 90 nsx with decent miles... He's been thinking about selling it. Pm me so you guys can agree on a deal. He's in Los Angeles.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:32 PM   #14
Re~Mix

In case you were on the fence